The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#277995 - 12/15/15 07:01 PM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
JohnN....I just replaced an XM L2 module in a Solar Force L2M with the lower power option (.8 to 4.2v) XP-G module which has a low voltage shut down circuit for use with Li-ion 18650s...with a smooth reflector, this has become one of my favorites...

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=RB&s=10&id=210

Edited by LesSnyder (12/15/15 07:02 PM)

#278000 - 12/15/15 10:21 PM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: wileycoyote]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
so many brands that require buying the extras (special batteries and chargers)...

for just a few dollars more, why not really simplify things and get your ma a simple tough 1xAAA (using regular alkaline or disposable lithium) 300-lumen american-made-&-warrantied 3-level small flashlight that she can always have on her?

Sureifre Titan Plus
http://www.surefire.com/titan-b.html

Basically it is a lot cheaper to buy that charger and switch to rechargeable batteries as opposed to messing with leaky alkalines. Even without a leak, your good rechargeables will save money in the long run. Get a charger that can handle AA and AAA and as a bonus, lith-ions, which hold a lot more energy.

Edited by hikermor (12/16/15 12:05 AM)

#278002 - 12/15/15 10:39 PM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: hikermor]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
Originally Posted By: hikermor
...messing with leaky alkalines...

...good rechargeables will save money in the long run...

i concur

i use rechargable 1.5V Eneloops AA and AAA for everyday needs

i use primary disposable lithiums in flashlights used for longterm storeage, in survival pack, jockey box, bedside draw

i only use aklalines when those others are out-of-juice and i need power now (ie: placed in tiny ziplock bags, i leave a few alkalines in each vehicle for when my Eneloops or lithiums run out)

#278006 - 12/16/15 12:28 AM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: wileycoyote]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Something similar -- I use rechargeable AA & AAA batteries for daily users, but for batteries in kits I store lithium primary batteries with the flashlight but not in the flashlight. I have seen lithium batteries fail and don't want that happening in a light that does not see regular use and will be needed when it is seen.

As for the light in question: there are enough good to great flashlights available at that price point that are known and have a rep. Unless you are buying to evaluate, why experiment. Get a light with a good rep so you can trust it.

There is no free lunch; more lumen output generally means a shorter battery life. I have not seen a need to go past 200 lumen, YMMV.

#278007 - 12/16/15 01:58 AM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
The Solaray light is priced 2 1/2 times what it should be. Similar light SAME graphics on head

If you get either of these, do NOT try to use 2 X CR123 batteries! Unlike the Fenix lights, they will not handle it. It will run very bright for a few seconds & burn out.

For about $50 per light, I would look at the Fenix E25 or the Fenix PD32.

#278008 - 12/16/15 03:20 AM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: LesSnyder]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
JohnN....I just replaced an XM L2 module in a Solar Force L2M with the lower power option (.8 to 4.2v) XP-G module which has a low voltage shut down circuit for use with Li-ion 18650s...with a smooth reflector, this has become one of my favorites...

I find the XPG to be a good option. Bright but not too power hungry which means it doesn't need a fancy driver or heat handling. Decent focus with a smooth reflector or soft focus with an orange peel reflector.

The high power LEDs need high end drivers and heat handling and you really have to shop around for someone who builds them right for it to take advantage of the LED and be reliable. And then you are going to pay a fair amount.

The high power LEDs also require better batteries.

I do have a few high power modules, but reserve them for specific applications.

-john

#278009 - 12/16/15 03:35 AM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: UTAlumnus]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
The Solaray light is priced 2 1/2 times what it should be. Similar light SAME graphics on head

I would avoid buying a budget battery charger. In the case of lithium batteries it can be a safety concern.

This guy seems to do a good job reviewing how well chargers charge within battery charging specification.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charger%20Xtar%20VP2%20UK.html

-john

Edited by JohnN (12/16/15 03:50 AM)

#278010 - 12/16/15 05:44 AM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Might want to do a little research on the Titan over at Candlepower Forums. I think the concensus is that it's not the out-of-the-park homerun you'd expect from SF.

#278012 - 12/16/15 08:36 AM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
BTW, I think the CR123A is the best available cell for high powered lights. They're more energy dense and higher voltage than AA/AAAs and will typically run harder, longer. They're not really hard to find, either. Every Wal-Mart I've ever been to has them (although the price isn't great). True, you won't find them at every gas station or anything though. AA/AAA have a place but for my main light I prefer CR123A. I buy mine in bulk online for around $1/ea. If I can carry the light carrying spare cells isn't usually a problem.

#278014 - 12/16/15 03:21 PM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I will return to my comment.

This forum is digressing into "gear obsession". This type of mindset is encouraged by many manufacturers who want to sell exotic products. Do people really need a "tactical flashlight"? Why on Earth would we need such a creature?

Believe me, I've been down the same road. I was semi-obsessed with high power flashlights many years ago. I bought a couple, to the great detriment of my bank account. But now that I look back, honestly - how many times did I ever need a flashlight with a hi-power beam? Maybe ONCE in my entire life.

Likewise, how many times did I ever need a flashlight with a case made out of super-strength metal? Honestly, I cannot ever remember SLAMMING my flashlight into the head of a charging rhino, or the forehead of a puzzled pachyderm.

On the other hand, there were a million times (or close) when I needed to find a simple flashlight in the dark .. usually because it was the middle of the night and I needed to go and pee in the bushes. I couldn't always find the stupid thing, and sometimes when I did - it wouldn't work.

My humble vote is for a simple LED flashlight with AA batteries. Not rechargeable. Just ordinary batteries.

Edited by Pete (12/16/15 03:23 PM)

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 464 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.