The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#277966 - 12/14/15 03:36 AM SOLARAY PRO ZX-1
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Anyone familiar with the following flashlight?

http://www.amazon.com/SOLARAY-ZX-1-Profe...sJBwb02S8FQM_tt

Mom is considering one or two of these. I'm not familiar with this brand and thought it best to check with those who know flashlights. She is looking to spend $50 per flashlight. She wants a compact unit.

Jeanette Isabelle

#277968 - 12/14/15 04:18 AM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I have not handled that specific unit but I've yet to see one of the "zoom head" flashlights that met with my expectations. A lack of an ANSI lumen and runtime claim is a red flag as well.

At that price point I might suggest a Nitecore EC20 bundle if the need is for well-made, reliable, multiple modes and 1000 real ANSI lumens. If the user isn't used to li-ion rechargeables and is willing to accept lower output in exchange for using AAs, the Nitecore MT21A and FourSevens Mini M2A are both excellent.

#277970 - 12/14/15 10:40 AM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'm a bit leery of the Chinese knockoff/OEM lights. When you stray off the beaten path (eg Surefire, Elzetta, Malkoff, Streamlight, JETBeam, Fenix, etc) you don't always know what you'll get quality-wise. Given that you could get a name brand light for that price I'd suggest passing on the Solaray. It could be good but for that money I'd prefer a known quality.

Candlepower Forum is a great place to learn about lights! You might want to drop in there and ask around.

#277971 - 12/14/15 02:53 PM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: Phaedrus]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I'm a bit leery of the Chinese knockoff/OEM lights. When you stray off the beaten path (eg Surefire, Elzetta, Malkoff, Streamlight, JETBeam, Fenix, etc) you don't always know what you'll get quality-wise. Given that you could get a name brand light for that price I'd suggest passing on the Solaray. It could be good but for that money I'd prefer a known quality.

Candlepower Forum is a great place to learn about lights! You might want to drop in there and ask around.

This. There's a ton of Chinese knock-offs of this exact model too. I was checking them out a few weeks back, and after reading some negative reviews of them, ended up purchasing another knock off "Ultrafire" flashlight.

It's decent and bright for the $20 I spent on it, and was a cheap experiment into the world of LI-ION 18650's for me. I suspect I will be replacing it very soon with one from Fenix or Surefire.

#277972 - 12/14/15 03:59 PM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I would look else where

My 26650 cell version was cheaper. A knockoff of a knockoff for about $10

Contever® Flashlight With 2200LM CREE XM-L T6 LED 18650/26650/AAA Torch

You might be better served by getting somthing from Olight, Fenix or Nitecore or even Thrunite.

There are flashlights than come with their own built in internal and external chargers if selecting the Lithium Ion Rechargeable cells.

http://www.amazon.com/S30R-II-rechargeable-Flashlight-EdisonBright/dp/B00QG1ZC3M/ref=sr_1_1?s

http://www.amazon.com/Olight-R40-Variabl...ords=olight+R40

http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-PD40-Flashli...rds=fenix+26650

For more conventional AA cells.

http://www.amazon.com/Diffuser-Nitecore-...ywords=Nitecore

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (12/14/15 04:15 PM)

#277973 - 12/14/15 04:45 PM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
i tell most users not to buy flashlights requiring hi-voltage lithium-ion batteries. they require carefully monitored handling and charging. this list might help:

Using high-volt Li-Ion batteries require special care, so here are some rules/warnings:
-Do not overdischarge/overcharge
-Recharge drained batteries ASAP
-Do not short circuit
-Do not dispose of in fire
-Do not expose to extreme heat or water
-Only charge when you can be there watching
-REPEAT: NEVER CHARGE LI-ION CELLS UNATTENDED

the one you listed uses a 18650 3.7v 2400mAh. no thanks. too dangerous for the average user IMHO.

i'd suggest sticking with standard 1.5V batteries (AAA, AA, C & D) in alkaline or Eveready disposable lithium, even if you can't get the same super-bright output.

(remember when 30-60 lumens was considered the top-of-the-line brightest units available to even the military/police, just ten years ago? times sure do change...)

#277974 - 12/14/15 05:16 PM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: wileycoyote]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
i tell most users not to buy flashlights requiring hi-voltage lithium-ion batteries. they require carefully monitored handling and charging. this list might help:

Using high-volt Li-Ion batteries require special care, so here are some rules/warnings:
-Do not short circuit

the one you listed uses a 18650 3.7v 2400mAh. no thanks. too dangerous for the average user IMHO.

Does this apply only to the rechargeable batteries or the CR123A as well?

Jeanette Isabelle

#277975 - 12/14/15 05:28 PM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Does this apply only to the rechargeable batteries or the CR123A as well?

If CR123A cells are significantly mismatched, especially under higher loads, they can "vent with flame" which is not so good. If you use high quality, name brand cells, install them either into a single-cell device or brand-new from the same package into the same device, they're pretty safe.

I use a pulse-load battery tester to confirm that cells are matched. Voltage-based battery testers are not worthwhile.

If the user of a flashlight isn't willing to pay close attention to these issues, they should either use single-cell CR123A or AA/AAA lights.

#277976 - 12/14/15 05:32 PM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
CM nailed it. lithium-ion (Li-Ion) rechargeables are the ones to worry about. these are the ones you hear about burning up and bringing down planes, or the recent news of them frying hoover boards.

standard CR123 disposable (non-rechargeable) primary lithiums are safe (following CM's warnings and just don't try to recharge them).

also safe are 1.5V NiMH rechargeables, like Eneloop AA. i highly recommend Eneloops when paired with an intelligent high-quality charger.

i too prefer single cell units. no problems with mismatched batteries and fewer contact points to corrode.

#277977 - 12/14/15 05:33 PM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: wileycoyote]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
-Do not short circuit

Using LiFePo4 cells are safer, but with less capacity, but have double the number of charge cycles. The Nitecore D2 and D4 chargers will also charge LiFePo4 as well as Lithium Ion.

Lithium Ion and polymer technology are used widely, the same advice should also be applied to keeping an eye on your smart phone and Laptop as well. If using Lithium Ion cells such as 18650 and RCR123A ensure that they are protected cells.

Any cell that is short circuited presents a risk. It could be argued that a protected lithium cells may even be safer than even Alkaline or NiMh.

Be careful of the source and the quality of the Lithium Cells and ensure that they have protection circuits.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 181 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.