Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#277932 - 12/11/15 04:59 AM Re: Prepping for international travel? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

An external battery for charging your laptop and cellphone on a long flight seemed like a good idea. I almost clicked on the buy button, but then I realized In most cases, I wouldn't use it for work. It's just to keep myself entertained on the plane. Well, I can still avail myself of the old reliable solution of reading a book.

The only remaining argument is that I could use the external battery even when I'm not on a trip. But then portable batteries are not designed expressly for that purpose...

#277935 - 12/11/15 09:49 AM Re: Prepping for international travel? [Re: Bingley]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Bingley
Wow, bw48, there are RFID sleeves for credit cards? Just how many RFID scanning thieves do we have? Is it common practice to protect your credit cards with such sleeves in Europe?

Maybe I can make my own with tinfoil. After all, I made a wonderful hat.

The sleeves are sold in Europe, but except for the safety/security conscious people, rarely used.

However cards are generally PIN protected and for private use most people only use debit cards, not credit cards. I only use a credit card if a deposit is required (hotels, rental cars).

Note; that some small shops sometimes won’t except credit cards, only debit or cash. So peak at the stickers at the front to see if they accept them.

#277937 - 12/11/15 03:51 PM Re: Prepping for international travel? [Re: Bingley]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Bingley - you are going to one of the safest places in Europe, and probably in the world. I think that it's very unlikely that you will have any personal safety issues, or any problems with credit cards.

I have travelled to a LOT of very scummy places (especially Africa) and nobody stole any credit card information there. Of course, I was watching to ensure that nobody stuck a knife between my ribs. But I think that you will have an excellent time in Switzerland. Other countries in Europe are more of a problem, but not where you are going.

Your biggest problem is the HIGH prices for everything. I would tell you to pack some peanut butter so you can make sandwiches, but I don't think they will let it into the country.

#277939 - 12/11/15 05:46 PM Re: Prepping for international travel? [Re: Bingley]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
We are just starting to get RFID enabled cards in the UK, known as 'Contactless Cards'. They have RFID, chips and magnetic stripes. It won't be long until all cards have them.

They have a small symbol on them:

http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/assets/images/bank/contactless/contactless-debit-card.png

#277940 - 12/11/15 07:27 PM Re: Prepping for international travel? [Re: Bingley]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I remain confused about the difference between the "RFID" card and the chip and pin (or signature) card. My understanding (very possibly wrong) is that an RFID card can be read by a bad guy with a covert scanner at about 1 foot distance, or a bit more. Thus, when standing in line, almost anywhere, someone near you can hack your card while you just stand there with the card in your pocket.

In the USA, the RFID cards were promoted as being able to just be "waved" over the payment terminal instead of being "swiped."

Then came the present generation of "Chipped" cards which must be inserted into the terminal for several seconds.

It is totally unclear to me if the Chipped cards can be read and hacked from a distance, even if only a few inches. It appears they can, but I have no definitive information on this. Thus, given the lack of information, I use the RFID metal foil sleeves.

Any clarification, directly or a site to review, on this would be greatly appreciated and help in keeping the card secure.

#277941 - 12/11/15 07:42 PM Re: Prepping for international travel? [Re: Bingley]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
The card chips have electrical contacts that need physical, mechanical, connection to the reader. They can't be read from a distance.

#277942 - 12/11/15 10:50 PM Re: Prepping for international travel? [Re: Ian]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Ian
The card chips have electrical contacts that need physical, mechanical, connection to the reader. They can't be read from a distance.

Exactly. RFID chips are typically read from between three to six inches, but can be read at up to thirty feet with the right equipment. A moderately-skilled bad guy could build a pocket-sized RFID sniffer that would collect data from all the RFID chips carried by people walking by on a sidewalk.

#277943 - 12/11/15 10:53 PM Re: Prepping for international travel? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Pete -- thanks for your reassurance! I'm actually not worried. Just taking some basic precautions. Getting my data stolen because of a criminally operated RFID scanner seems unlikely to me, but I need a pouch to carry the passport and other stuff anyway.

I signed up for STEP, and got a warning from the State Dept. They're chasing down five terrorists in Switzerland, I guess. I actually figure that'd make things safer -- all these cops around, it takes a really incompetent terrorist to actually try anything. But if I end up having to subdue a terrorist by tying him up with the lanyard from my RFID-proof pouch, and perhaps use my Leatherman to get the code from him for disarming the bomb, I'll be sure to give a shout out to my homies on equipped!

Edited by Bingley (12/11/15 11:43 PM)

#278197 - 12/25/15 09:10 AM Re: Prepping for international travel? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Something I learned the hard way --

If you're able to set up VPN, whether through your own genius or through your employer, before going abroad would be a good time to get VPN. You'll end up using public wifi a lot, and on a prolonged trip, sometimes you may have to log in to your bank account or to work.

Be ready to re-authenticate your accounts. Your account administrators can tell what country you're logging in from, and sometimes they think logging in from a foreign country means someone has stolen your password. So make sure you have everything you need to authenticate (e.g., access to your back up account, knowing how to re-enter password on your app, etc.).

Fortunately I informed your credit card companies before traveling so they don't block my account upon receiving a charge from a foreign country on suspicion of fraud.

Having a phone that can do SMS is a good idea. Some places offer free wifi, but only if you enter a code that they send you through SMS.

You can't rely on streaming video service THAT YOU HAVE PAID FOR to entertain you when you're abroad. There are apparently laws against streaming videos across countries. I personally find it absurd.

#279954 - 03/11/16 10:21 PM Re: Prepping for international travel? [Re: Bingley]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

when vacationing I'm outside almost the whole day - so more sunscreen, jacket, hat and water. On business, back up paperwork and power ( batteries)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 366 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.