Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#277877 - 12/06/15 10:06 AM Prepping for international travel?
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I'm going to be making my first extended trip overseas -- I'm going to Switzerland, with a detour to France (probably Paris). How should I prepare for this trip, both in terms of emergency prep and convenience? Here's my list thus far --

• Figure out how to have cell phone/mobile data access in foreign countries. Does anyone have experience with this?
  • Get local currency -- Swiss Francs and Euros.
  • I'll have to look for some sort of translation app or dictionary app. It needs to work without internet access (i.e., I can't count on being able to use Google Translate).
  • Maybe a phrasebook in case my cell phone battery ran out?
  • Look into health/accident insurance while traveling abroad (I think my current health insurance has some sort of coverage for that -- good time to find out exactly what).
  • Refill my meds
  • Transformer and power plug adapters so I can use 220V sockets with a funny shape. Will need to power a computer, recharge batteries (for cell & cameras).
  • My EDC kit
  • I don't know what sort of knife I can have/carry in those countries. I'll have my knifeless Leatherman.
  • Should I even bother with getting a SW radio??? In case things go so wrong that I can't get news from the internet (prolonged blackout) and getting news from the US (or in English) via SW would make a significant difference for me. Right now I'm leaning towards no, because if things got so bad, I don't know a radio would make much of a difference.
  • Set up home security monitoring so I can keep an eye on things at home from abroad.

Is there anything else I should do?

I realize the US State Dept. has issued a warning for international travelers until sometime in February. I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for suicide bombers.

#277878 - 12/06/15 12:01 PM Re: Prepping for international travel? [Re: Bingley]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Switzerland is pretty expensive, so don’t be shocked by the prices. Note, that the Swiss speak French or 'German' (I can understand normal German, but Swiss German... no idea what they are saying).

Most Swiss can speak English. The French, depends on the location. Tourist locations yes, other locations no or they understand English, but speak back in French. It is appreciated when people do try to speak the local languages.

As for medication; prescriptions medication is on prescription only. What is over the counter, depends on the country.

For knifes, I never had issues with a SAK or opinel. No problems making lunch on a city square with either of them.

Note; the Swiss autobahn has a speed limit. Foreign driver can pay on the spot.

#277879 - 12/06/15 01:18 PM Re: Prepping for international travel? [Re: Bingley]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
• Figure out how to have cell phone/mobile data access in foreign countries. Does anyone have experience with this?

Check with your carrier to see if they have a plan that will fit your needs and budget. Also, if you have a GSM phone, you can buy a sim card with data and voice locally and usually cheaply. BUT your GSM phone must be unlocked. Again, check with your carrier; some will do a full unlock, or they may give you a temporary unlock, e.g. 30 days. I have an unlocked GSM phone and just get a local sim and one month plan (with 1 gig of data.)

• Get local currency -- Swiss Francs and Euros.

If you intend to use your credit card, it has to be “chip and pin.” Many of the credit cards being issued here now have the chip, but require a signature. This may cause a problem or confusion overseas. My credit card company was able to add a pin to my card so I could use it in Europe.

• I'll have to look for some sort of translation app or dictionary app. It needs to work without internet access (i.e., I can't count on being able to use Google Translate).

Google Translate will let you download a language for offline use. They also have a way to take an image of a sign and translate it, but I was not successful in making it work. YMMV

• Look into health/accident insurance while traveling abroad (I think my current health insurance has some sort of coverage for that -- good time to find out exactly what).

Can be expensive; last time, a little over 2 weeks coverage cost me like 200 dollars, but it was required for me to get a visa to the country I was visiting.

• Refill my meds

Make sure they are in the container from the pharmacy. Loose pills invite attention.

• Transformer and power plug adapters so I can use 220V sockets with a funny shape. Will need to power a computer, recharge batteries (for cell & cameras).

You definitely need the plug adaptors, but may not need the transformer; check the small print on the power adaptors; many OEM models will handle 220v 50cycle. Many aftermarket ones will not. Also check Amazon and search for “voltage converter kits” These kits will have plug adaptors for everything in Europe, and a small voltage transformer for 220 to 120 conversion in case you do need it. These kits are usually in the 30 Dollar range.

• I don't know what sort of knife I can have/carry in those countries. I'll have my knifeless Leatherman.

I put a SAK in my checked bag; a “sportsman” model, one with a corkscrew, which may be put to its intended use in France. Just don’t flash it.

• Should I even bother with getting a SW radio??? In case things go so wrong that I can't get news from the internet (prolonged blackout) and getting news from the US (or in English) via SW would make a significant difference for me. Right now I'm leaning towards no, because if things got so bad, I don't know a radio would make much of a difference.

I always take one, a small Grundig mini world 100PE, about 15 – 20 years old. Never “needed” it, but like to check out the local radio stations and I could usually get the BBC on a fairly regular basis via SW. Internet has mostly replaced it, but I still think it is worthwhile to take, and it is small enough so as not to be a burden.

#277880 - 12/06/15 04:16 PM Re: Prepping for international travel? [Re: Bingley]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
Whilst all of that may or may not be useful all you really need is a credit card and perhaps a little cash for small purchases and tips. Your card will work OK but chip and pin is more convenient.

Should you need anything else you can get it here, borrow adaptors from the hotel, English works everywhere, skip the knife; more trouble than it is worth, and so on.

Edited by Ian (12/06/15 04:16 PM)

#277882 - 12/07/15 03:24 AM Re: Prepping for international travel? [Re: Bingley]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Bingley

Have a terrific time in Switzerland.
Forget about suicide bombers. You will not see any.

The only problem that you will have in Switzerland - everything costs a LOT of money. Even simple things, like buying a cooked breakfast, are very expensive compared to the USA.

You do need a phrase book.
It would be helpful to have several different credit cards.
Please make sure that you call all of the credit card companies before you depart the USA and let them know the dates of your travel.

The biggest safety device you would probably need ... is just a cell phone in Switzerland. I am sure you can probably buy a SIM card there for your phone, but ask around.

Other stuff, I wouldn't even worry about. Enjoy the Alps ... hope you have a great time!!

Ohh and my travel tip - each time you leave the airline desk at the airport ... take a quick second look for your stuff. It is super-easy to forget your passport at the airline desk. The same thing applies on the airplane. Check the seat pockets carefully before you get off. It is very easy to put something important into a seat pocket, and then forget it.

Pete

#277888 - 12/07/15 05:33 PM Re: Prepping for international travel? [Re: Bingley]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
My tidbits...

Get a good man bag. You will be carrying more stuff. Most important, you should be walking around with your passport. Personally, having important stuff spread around multiple pockets is a creative way for me to lose something. I use the Maxpedition Remora.

For short trips of 2 weeks or less, I use Verizon's new "Travel Pass" feature. It is a good option if you just want to get there and spend a week looking for a better long term option.

Upon arrival wherever I go, I try to go grocery shopping and stock up on water. I just went to St. Maarten (Dutch). One day, the city cut off the water for half a day for maintenance, no warning, and locals were acting like it was not a big deal. So, I don't assume the mindsets are going to be the same. People may fundamentally think differently.

Have fun. Don't over prep to the point you can't have a good time. Your knowledge and know-how is your best prep. Many times, working through issues leads to the best stories and ends up being the most endearing part of the trip. Also, learning how to do more with less is a valuable survival skill.

#277889 - 12/07/15 05:50 PM Re: Prepping for international travel? [Re: Bingley]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

get a passport pouch.

#277890 - 12/07/15 06:31 PM Re: Prepping for international travel? [Re: Bingley]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Maybe buy a "Swiss" army knife there?

#277893 - 12/08/15 04:40 AM Re: Prepping for international travel? [Re: Bingley]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Figure out where the local U.S. embassies are (address, email, and phone number) in case something happens.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#277894 - 12/08/15 05:25 AM Re: Prepping for international travel? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Thanks, everyone! Maybe I will get a Swiss Army Knife while in Switzerland. Do you think they have special editions sold only over there?

Things I've discovered that could be useful for other Americans traveling abroad:
  • Sign up for Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), run by the State Dept. They'll notify you when bad things happen. https://step.state.gov/step/
  • Credit cards! Call your credit card company so let them know your travel plans so they don't disable your card when they get a charge from wherever. Also, learn about "foreign transaction fees" and such: http://europeforvisitors.com/europe/articles/atm_conversion_fees.htm
  • I read about the different ways in which people used SW radios while traveling, and I think my chances of needing SW while in a major city in Switzerland is nearly nil. It seems like SW is useful when (1) you're in a place with poor infrastructure; (2) you're in a place that could suffer blackouts or internet outage; (3) you're in a country that might cut your information off.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.