Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#277834 - 12/02/15 09:12 PM Re: Emergency Communications [Re: Ian]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Where about in Fife are you looking for? If you are looking for a more Rural Location feel then perhaps Balmullo might be of interest, but still quite near St Andrews.

http://www.s1homes.com/Plots-for-sale/2014050609405929.shtml

#277837 - 12/03/15 03:12 AM Re: Emergency Communications [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
since there is an "equipped" name in the title, a suggestion for Christmas... buy yourself, and your family and friends some EDC oriented stocking stuffers, or in this case, key ring stuffers...this is an old pic, but I gave about 25 sets last year...food for thought

Fenix E01 and E05 lights (get an E05 or E12 for yourself... Solarforce Z2 if you want H M L)
Acme 636 whistle
Shelby US P38 openers

Edited by LesSnyder (12/03/15 03:16 AM)

#277838 - 12/03/15 04:33 AM Re: Emergency Communications [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I love the E05 but for a little bit more money you can get much better performance in the Thrunite Ti, and in titanium too. Aluminum flashlights are lighter and do better with heat dissipation, but they get scratched up hanging out on a keyring.

#277840 - 12/03/15 12:10 PM Re: Emergency Communications [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
Am Fear Liath Mor.

PM sent together with my thanks.

#277844 - 12/03/15 04:12 PM Re: Emergency Communications [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I absolutely agree that communication is essential.
and I strongly recommend that you KEEP your idea - get a tablet computer. The reason is this ... it is much easier to read maps on the screen of a tablet computer. I find that reading maps on the screen of my cell phone is a nightmare. It is really a nuisance.

If you buy a tablet, I recommend that you do NOT get Windows 8. I bought a small laptop recently and it came with Windows 8 - I find the whole system incredibly frustrating. Maybe other people here can suggest something better. Honestly, you are probably better off buying an Apple ... even if they cost more money.

Pete

#277852 - 12/04/15 06:31 AM Re: Emergency Communications [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Internet access would be problematic during a wide spread emergency, but of course, it would depend on what kind of emergency.

Most situations would probably knock out land based Internet services like cable, DSL, fibre; either through damage to the lines, or eventual run-down of emergency power to equipment.

Cellular Internet probably would be more resistaint to line damage, but it isn't clear how long the towers can run without power. The upside is it sounds like emergency plans tend to include bringing in portable towers. The downside is cellular tends to get overloaded in a crisis and the emphasis is on phone calls and text messages.

Pretty much the most reliable option is satellite where you are likely to get out of your area all together, but sat based Internet is expensive.

While not direct Internet access you might check into the Delorme Inreach:

http://inreachdelorme.com

While not "cheap", you can get satellite based messaging without being rich.

I would attempt to have two way radios for short range communications and a normal radio for information. A scanner capable of accessing local emergency service comminications in your area (may be digital trunking) ma also be useful.

No matter what you do, you need to ensure you have a way to power whatever devices you may have. Battery packs, a stock of batteries and a way to recharge all may be part the plan.

Also, if you plan to rely on electronic devices like phones, tablets during the emergency for reference material, navigation, etc., make sure the applications you rely on can store the needed information locally, and spend the time to download that information and test you can access it while not connected to the Internet.

-john

Edited by JohnN (12/04/15 06:35 AM)

#277855 - 12/04/15 03:32 PM Re: Emergency Communications [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Pete Offline
Veteran

ONE THING that would really help America ... if the Government steps in during major emergencies and sets up special "emergency Internet wireless links".

It seems to me that this is exactly the type of service that the US Government could do extremely well. Restoring Internet communications during a major emergency. like a big earthquake, would allow a LOT of people to start problem-solving. The faster you can let the civilian population start solving their own problems - the faster we all get answers.

JOHN ... thanks for the DeLorme tip. I will check that out. I have a situation where I will be out of the country for some of next year. But I have children, and some of them live in a major earthquake zone. So the ability to send some messages by satellite gives me a LOT of peace of mind.

And I absolutely agree. Spare batteries are a MUST. and the only sensible thing is to check the communications equipment on a routine basis. Things are always getting messed up.

Pete

Edited by Pete (12/04/15 03:38 PM)

#277858 - 12/04/15 08:19 PM Re: Emergency Communications [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
We seem to be discussing two different communication modes here - sending out the word that you are OK to others (unless you are not , and that is important, too) or receiving info on surrounding conditions. The latter information is more likely to be significant in dealing with whatever situation is occurring.

As one who lives in a major earthquake zone (prone to wildfire, as well), I will be quite occupied in dealing with immediate conditions, and while I certainly want to let relatives and loved ones know we are OK, that can wait a bit. Fore receiving information, a good AM-FM-WB radio with enough batteries will suffice. In due time, one can send a brief, concise, informative text message, giving the thumbs up.

#277860 - 12/04/15 09:36 PM Re: Emergency Communications [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
That was my thought also. A small AM-FM radio to get information on how bad things really are is all I need. I have a good 4xAA and a few 2xAA radios for that -- they're cheap and easy on batteries.

Emergency comms to get assistance is another issue; I have a PLB for that if I'm off-shore, but don't know how that system would work in a major earthquake; I'm thinking it's not really designed for that. Reliable cell coverage would be good but it would probably be flooded with unnecessary calls crowding out emergency calls.

#277866 - 12/05/15 08:00 AM Re: Emergency Communications [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Great read so far. I am wondering about the AM/FM/SW/WX radios. What brands are reliable? I see the ETON models all over the place. Good? Bad? Neutral? Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.