Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#277820 - 12/02/15 07:48 AM Re: Emergency Communications [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
Should you hear the drumming of hoofs outside, when you look out of the window you don't expect to see a herd of Zebra.

I feel that when the lights go out you really should not be jumping to the conclusion that it is a nuclear attack. It the winter in Scotland it is much, much more likely to be a simple supply failure.

We do ourselves a disservice by preparing for events that are unlikely to happen, whilst ignoring the much more likely but much smaller and unexciting happenings, e.g. looking for a torch in the dark.

#277821 - 12/02/15 11:53 AM Re: Emergency Communications [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
Nope, an EDC light in your pocket is MUCH easier to find than one you have to move for.

Bill

#277822 - 12/02/15 12:31 PM Re: Emergency Communications [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
couple of comments... if you don't already have a weather radio with SAME (localized warning) capability, one that takes AA cells and AM/FM capability would be a good idea, with both home 120v and portable DC capabilities ... and I've switched all my emergency lights and electronics to Sanyo/Panasonic Eneloop AAs...claims of less leakage than alkaline cells, as well as ability to charge via 12vdc as well a 7w Goal Zero photovoltaic panel... when I need to fill an Amazon order to get the free shipping, an extra pack of AA or AAA Eneloops gets purchased... just starting to explore the 18650 LiIon cells for the SolarForce L2 and ordered a lower voltage LED module with low voltage cut off

Edited by LesSnyder (12/02/15 12:32 PM)

#277823 - 12/02/15 01:45 PM Re: Emergency Communications [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
"Large scale emergency" and "access to internet" probably, and IMO certainly do not go together.

Assuming that you mostly want information about what is going on, an almost always overlooked source is the old school "shortwave" (HF) radio receiver. They almost always come with AM/FM for local stations, but they will also give you international range to hear voice broadcasts. A small portable unit can be had with AA power at reasonable prices. As with anything, the more features, the higher the price, but even so, less than the retail price of a smartphone.

Every long prep plan should include a shortwave radio receiver. When all else fails, one transmitting station on the other side of the world can get a signal to you via HF.

#277825 - 12/02/15 02:48 PM Re: Emergency Communications [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I also have the 6s+ and it is much better for texting than my old 4s. AM/FM/SW radios are not an issue, charging batteries for the radios or charging the iPhone can/will be done with solar if 120VAC is not available at the wall. One nice thing about the 6 or 6s Plus is the bigger battery that comes with the larger phone.

#277827 - 12/02/15 05:34 PM Re: Emergency Communications [Re: Russ]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Watch for the free space on your iPhone 6. If you ever get too low you may get into a permanent trouble, which even Apple reps cannot resolve. My boss took too many videos on his 6S this summer and stuck with multiple annoying problems. Even after freeing the memory and several factory resets some of them remains (e.g. it's started loosing known wifi hot spots until restarted). Very raw cooked device, imo.

#277828 - 12/02/15 06:17 PM Re: Emergency Communications [Re: Alex]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I've got 50GB of free memory so I should be fine. It's a phone, not an entertainment center. I may stream videos over wifi, but I store videos on other media, not on my phone.

#277830 - 12/02/15 06:41 PM Re: Emergency Communications [Re: williamlatham]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Nope, an EDC light in your pocket is MUCH easier to find than one you have to move for.

My EDC flashlight was being transferred a new Karrimor SF Delta 25 backpack I had recently purchased to carry a Lightweight Level III ballistic plate. (Vestguard MAX3). The flashlight I was able to get hold off firstly was a generic 4x26650 15 Cree XML-T6 flashlight, which was in the same room when the Electrical Grid Power went down.

My Radios did have Eneloop AAs but were flat. I recently purchased some of the new High Capacity Eneloops which was fully charged but they were being kept with a Night Vision Scope in a Cupboard room with the Crossbow. So I used some Lithium Energiser AAs instead which were quicker to had.

I also have Bricks of AA alkaline Cells as well, but I forgot I had them tucked away in the same cupboard. I need to be more organised with managing the charges on my NiMh cells and Lithium Ion Powerbanks. I need to also buy some more Primary CR123s.

#277831 - 12/02/15 07:03 PM Re: Emergency Communications [Re: Ian]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I feel that when the lights go out you really should not be jumping to the conclusion that it is a nuclear attack.

It was just the timing of the current world wide events and the fact that I have never had an Electrical Grid Power outage even though I have been at the same address for more than 20 years. I should have also taken on board the fact that the UK power grid is now on the brink of collapse (The UK grid was in the verge of Collapse about 2 weeks ago) after closing down the coal power stations in the country (Scotland) with the intention to close all of them down (UK) in the next 10 years with all the Global warming fraud by the Globalists.

Edit.

There is a Nuclear bunker Complex under the local Hospital. Now there is now RN Helicopter activity in the area this afternoon.

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/2015/...sparks-concern/

Last night Power outage lasted around 30 minutes in the middle of the Night. There has been no mention in the local News Media. I am beginning to suspect that the Power Station on the Hospital Grounds was being tested to show it was able to cope with powering the bunker complex and Hospital during a Transfer test.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (12/02/15 07:57 PM)

#277832 - 12/02/15 08:35 PM Re: Emergency Communications [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
I hope you don't think I was sniping at you Big Grey Man. I was hoping to make a general point.

I just see too many people who are spending lots of time and money for things that are so unlikely but ignoring the much more common dangers. I met one lad who said he could not afford to take a car skid training course as he was saving to put EMP arrestors on his telephone line. Which is more likely to save his life?

I doubt if the hospital bunker was involved in a routine helicopter exercise but why not give the hospital a call and ask them, there will be someone there responsible for contingency planning who will probably be happy to chat, even to invite you in.

I ran the 'bunker' under our county hall for many years and I would have been ashamed if any test of its resilience affected the public and we transfer tested monthly.

We are actively looking to move to Fife ASAP so if you know of any bungalows or decent building plots around please let me know.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.