The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#277769 - 11/30/15 09:08 PM bicycle tool kit
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Ok, so DS, DW and I are getting bikes for christmas this year. With that in mind, I started looking around to see what kind of tools or other items might be needed for emergency repairs and such that could be easily carried (via small pack or belt pouch) or attached to the bike frame (I'm guessing by some of the posts I read that they make assorted bags or pouches that attach to the bike frame). I did a search here on ETS but my search fu is weak at best. I did see a few ideas for what to include in a bicycle tool kit, including:

- leatherman sidekick (or similar multi-tool)
- fix it sticks
- spare tube
- tube patch kit
- tire levers
- emergency tire boot
- chain repair links

as per this thread

In addition I was also thinking that the following items might be useful as well:

- mini pump (these can usually be attached to the bike frame, yes?)
- water (either the water bottle clipped to the frame or a small hydration pack)
- duct tape (this was an invaluable bit of kit during the troop's recent 25 mile bike ride)
- an adjustable wrench and/or vice grips (smallest versions practical)
- a set of folding hex wrenches

In my search I also saw a topeak alien 2 tool mentioned.

Is there anything I am missing? Are there any items I can delete (or at least leave at home/base camp)? Are there newer items/tools for bike repairs on the trail? For the most part, I don't expect we'll be riding too far off the beaten path, at least not at first, so we'd likely not be far from home or base camp but I'd like to be able to do minimal repairs without having to walk the bike (or worse carry it) back to home/base camp.

As always, thanks in advance for your help and insight.

#277770 - 11/30/15 09:46 PM Re: bicycle tool kit [Re: Mark_F]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
I would say it depends on what kind of riding you are going to be doing. Shortish recreational rides? Loaded touring? Off road singletrack?

At a minimum I would carry a patch kit and/or spare tube (or 2), tire levers and an inflation method, whether a pump or CO2 canister. The most common issue you will run into is a flat tire.

I have an old version of the Alien tool and it works fairly well. The large majority of issues will be tire related or can be adjusted with an allen/hex wrench selection. I keep mine in an under seat bag so it is out of the way. Depending on how much gear you want to carry, there are racks/pannier options, trailers for tons of gear, or if you are off-road you may look into bikepacking gear.

I have never needed to break a chain on the road, but have done it several times at home (installing components, etc.). The chain repair links weigh nothing so they are nice to haves and make life easy if they are already on your chain. Most bike specific multitools will also have a chain breaking tool.

If you are touring I would take spare spokes or a fiber fix temporary spoke. Tire boots are ok but rarely needed and can be improvised. Also for touring spare brake and derailleur cables don't weigh much and can come in handy. Not really necessary for short rides.

Get a bottle cage and always take water. That's a no brainer. On my touring bike I have 3 cages and bottles. Camelbaks work too but bottles are more versatile.

Most importantly I would take a maintenance class and learn how to work on your bikes. I took one many moons ago and learned a great deal. I have built the last 6+ bikes from the frame up. That way you know how to fix it if something breaks. REI offers them for free for members. I took mine through an adult ed class. Check with the bike shop you get your bikes from, they may offer a class.

Enjoy your new rides and have a great time!

#277771 - 11/30/15 09:48 PM Re: bicycle tool kit [Re: Mark_F]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I like to include a pinch light.

and

a five dollar bill, to be used to cover a hole in the tire (hire boot for high pressure tires) and for some emergency snacks or gatorade along the way.

Edited by clearwater (12/01/15 04:29 PM)

#277773 - 11/30/15 10:32 PM Re: bicycle tool kit [Re: Mark_F]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I've seen a lot of CO2 inflators fail. I carry a compact two-stage pump, and mine fits next to one of my bottle cages.

The Topeak tools have a great reputation, and if you carry one (or another folding hex wrench tool) you wouldn't need to carry everything else suggested.

I always have my keyring with me, which includes a 1xAAA flashlight and a whistle. I don't go out without ID, a credit card and (at the minimum) a $20 bill. Water is a given; I tend to bring enough to share.

#277775 - 11/30/15 10:47 PM Re: bicycle tool kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Look carefully at the fittings on your specific bike tools to and be sure you have the right tools to work on them. Nearly everything on mine can be worked with a 4mm hex key.

I agree - take a bike maintenance class. You will leave with good notions about which tools to take and how to use them. most issues will be with tires. While I carry a patch kit, I also have spare tubes and fix the punctures later at home.

Also, carry a suitable FAK. The most precious bike component that can be damaged is YOU.

#277778 - 11/30/15 11:26 PM Re: bicycle tool kit [Re: Mark_F]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
In terms of gear and equipment to carry that has already been mentioned, not much else to add but to carry a 1/2 roll of TP. Do enough bike riding and some day, having the TP for yourself or SO, will be very useful.

I carry all my gear in a rack trunk bag which are available on REI, MEC and other related sites. The great thing about these bags, such as the one I have, is that it mult-compartment and holds plenty of bike repair gear, wallet, keys, glasses etc and a small pump. Depending on how much gear you carry, there is room for a 1L water bottle and a smaller 750ml bottle. I prefer carrying the water in this way as it keeps the water bottle out of the hot direct summer sun and less subject to having to drink warm water on a hot day.

If your SO is biking with you, having the same bag on his/her bike gives more then enough storage such as carrying more water, lunch and snacks for a long day of riding.

My trunk bag attaches to the rack via Velcro straps which makes for easy removal so it does not get stolen if I need to leave the bike unattended. Also the straps can be used to carry the bag, backpack style.

If your looking to do overnight or multi-day rides, panniers are a must.

John Lubbock

#277781 - 12/01/15 12:14 AM Re: bicycle tool kit [Re: Mark_F]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
In addition to what had been recommended above: I'm always installing a bell, a rear view mirror, and a kickstand on my bikes.

#277782 - 12/01/15 12:16 AM Re: bicycle tool kit [Re: Mark_F]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
Here is what I currently have in my bike tool kit…my riding ranges from errands around town to day-trip rides to overnight/weekend tours, all on-road:
-frame pump (spring-loaded, I attach it behind the seat tube)
-spare tube
-tire levers
-patch kit
-small adjustable wrench
-Topeak multi-tool with allen wrenches/screwdrivers
-mini chain breaker
-spoke wrench
-Gerber multi-tool with pliers (I believe the model is called Diesel)
-pair of work gloves (drop your chain on a ride and you will appreciate why these are a good idea)
-a couple of tie-down straps for attaching things to rear rack
-spare rack/fender bolts (these can vibrate loose--it helps to apply some blue Loctite to prevent this problem)

All except the pump is in an Ortlieb handlebar bag that has a quick release so it can be detached when I am off the bike…there is also a shoulder strap for carrying. It's nice for running errands etc. because I can put my wallet/keys/phone in it as well. I also carry water/snacks/extra clothing as appropriate for the ride I am doing…anything that doesn't fit in the handlebar bag goes in a trunk bag on the rear rack; my bike lock is generally in that bag also. Usually I have detachable front and rear lights in the handlebar bag as well…they pretty much stay in there unless charging or being used.

The above is what I carry on all rides…overnight trips involve more gear and panniers are definitely needed (unless you use a trailer). Incidentally, you can make decent, inexpensive panniers out of square plastic buckets with a few simple pieces of hardware. The first aid kit somebody mentioned is a good idea…I do carry one on longer rides but probably should just keep it in the bag all the time. And ditto to taking a bike maintenance/repair class! I actually volunteer at a community bike shop in my town and have learned a lot there (how to basically overhaul a bike)…as a result, I am able to take care of most of my own maintenance and repairs provided I have the right tools.

#277783 - 12/01/15 12:27 AM Re: bicycle tool kit [Re: Alex]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: Alex
In addition to what had been recommended above: I'm always installing a bell, a rear view mirror, and a kickstand on my bikes.

Good ideas, with some caveats. You need to be careful installing kickstands to avoid damaging the frame on bikes that don't have kickstand plates (see this link for why I did NOT put one on mine...http://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spew/kickstands_on_long_haul_truckers). Instead I use this: http://www.click-stand.com. Actually, it holds the bike up better than a kickstand would, I think, and it removes the chance of doing any damage. Rear view mirrors are helpful if they stay in position and don't get in the way…this is easy on some handlebar configurations but not others. And I agree about the bell--get a nice loud one! I have a Crane bell that is quite loud, there are other good ones but just make sure you don't get one of the cool-looking but wimpy bells that are out there.

#277785 - 12/01/15 12:44 AM Re: bicycle tool kit [Re: Jolt]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Rear view mirrors are excellent, but I prefer them mounted on my helmet - Helmet? did someone say helmet? Don't even think of mounting your bike without a good one.....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 464 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.