The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#277717 - 11/26/15 04:01 AM Survival Library
Tirec Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Rocky Mountain West
Sorry if this is an old topic, but my search didn't turn up anything.

What are the top 5 books that you'd be sure to include in your packing for whatever disaster or emergency you prepare for?

I'll assume that if you have deeply held religious beliefs, you'll include your scriptures or sacred writings. You may also include the the Constitution or other founding documents, so we'll assume these are in addition to the five.

My list would start with:
1) A Sense of Survival by J. Allan South
2) Where There Is No Doctor: A Village Health Care Handbook by David Werner, Carol Thuman & Jane Maxwell
3) Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen
4) Wild Edible & Medicinal Plants of (my region)
5) Nuclear War Survival Skills by Cresson Kearny

Electronic media now allows you to carry hundreds of books, so these would be the five you would not, under any circumstances, delete from your device.

#277718 - 11/26/15 05:41 AM Re: Survival Library [Re: Tirec]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
A copy of Wilderness and Travel Medicine by Eric Weiss...great little pocket sized guide.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0...mp;qid=&sr=

#277719 - 11/26/15 12:30 PM Re: Survival Library [Re: Tirec]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Each of my car BOBs has the Collins Gem version of the SAS Survival Guide by Wiseman, along with a magnifier. Each also has a set of knot cards and a set of shelter-building reference cards.

The Hesperian books (publishers of Where There Is No Doctor) are excellent for a survival library. So is Desk Ref. Less of a reference work, I'm partial to Lundin's 98.6 Degrees... for a primer on survival.

#277721 - 11/26/15 03:13 PM Re: Survival Library [Re: Tirec]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One should have the principles of any publication well before you must implement them. I have a mental picture of someone hunkering down in a blizzard and turning to the chapter on fire starting. Hopefully your e-reader will function in sub-zero conditions.

Still there is good stuff out there. As a certified geezer, I still refer frequently to my well worn copy of Pond and Nesbitt's Survival Book - lots of data and analysis, together with pertinent anecdotes, spiced with charmingly outdated language. Apparently in 1959, women didn't need to concern themselves with survival.

Another good one is James Wilkerson's Mountaineering Medicine, especially the most recent (3rd) edition.

I don't intend to place any of these in my pack when venturing out. I read and practice in advance and save the weight and space for more critical items.

#277722 - 11/26/15 04:08 PM Re: Survival Library [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The Master Backwoodsman by Bradford Angier -- classic.
Then you also need to get a Randall Model 5 Camp and Trail knife.

#277725 - 11/26/15 04:20 PM Re: Survival Library [Re: Tirec]
Pete Offline
Veteran

One thing I have been looking for recently ...

a good book on how to build a log cabin.

you would think that this was a simple process. maybe it used to be. but with many people going into "exotic log cabin homes" ... it has also become an industry that is trying to promote itself. it would be helpful to get back to basics. For example, I don't really see why it's necessary to use logs that are 12-inches in diameter. Yes, I guess that this means the timber is long so you can make big houses. but do the logs in a log cabin really need to be 12-inch diameter? It seems like saplings that are 3-4 inches in diameter would provide excellent insulation. and they are easier to drag around after you chop them.

so ... looking for a good practical book about building shelters made from rough timber. there is craftsmanship involved. it would be nice to see how this can be done with a few basic tools. surely the right book must exist.

thanks,
Pete

Edited by Pete (11/26/15 04:23 PM)

#277728 - 11/26/15 04:53 PM Re: Survival Library [Re: Tirec]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Check out YouTube also....

#277731 - 11/26/15 06:12 PM Re: Survival Library [Re: wildman800]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I don't pack survival books when I travel or go backpacking (unfortunately, it's been quite a while since I went on any backpacking trip of note). I read them books ahead of time. Although I'll admit, sometimes in the past I have thrown in that small sized GEM short version book of the SAS Survival Manual. Not for learning while out there, more as a memory refresher for the bigger original book. Things like the finer points of how to create various trigger mechanisms for snares would normally escape my memory, since I've never had to do that in real life. So the GEM book would be good reminders for that, if necessary.

My favorites have already been mentioned: The SAS Survival Manual, and Cody Lundins book. The GEM book is on the list too, for its "reminder" properties.

#277732 - 11/26/15 08:35 PM Re: Survival Library [Re: Tirec]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Special Operations Forces Medical Handbook. Loads of highly practical, potentially life saving information.

Hans von Dach, Total Resistance. Written back in the 1950's, needs minor updates but if push comes to shove - this is the real deal.

And my old military mountaineering handbook. Covers pretty much all intermediate to advanced outdoor techniques I'm ever likely to need in real life.

#277733 - 11/26/15 10:07 PM Re: Survival Library [Re: Tom_L]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I don't know about the other books for amateur physicians, but the only medical books I have are the "Wilderness & Travel Medicine" handbooks by Eric A. Weiss that came with a couple AMK FAK's and the Wilderness First Responder" by Buck Tilton, MS, WEMT . IIRC this book was a textbook for the NOLS Wilderness First Responder course. I purchased mine after taking the NOLS Wilderness First Aid course. Fairly comprehensive and being a textbook it may be better than other medical books for the DIY EMT. That said, a good EMT course is a thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.