Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 13 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#277673 - 11/21/15 05:06 PM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I think you can do a thought experiment without violating the rules of this forum. It won't get into politics, and it focuses on survival, the central topic of the forum.

So it sounds like you're imagining nuclear attacks by non-state actors on major US cities, disrupting the distribution of food, fuel, etc. It sounds like you're not imagining being in a battle zone or in an enemy-occupied territory. Do you imagine your town to be close enough to one of the attack sites that you will have to worry about radiation and refugees? Are you assuming the collapse of government and the breakdown of order, or just an overburdened government with reduced social services, but the local cops are still keeping the peace? How long do you imagine this situation to last?

I think once we have a picture, it's easier to figure out the prep. Otherwise one could easily just get more and more anxious about future possibilities without coming up with anything concrete to improve one's own chances.

#277678 - 11/21/15 09:43 PM Re: WW III [Re: Bingley]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Bingley
So it sounds like you're imagining nuclear attacks by non-state actors on major US cities, disrupting the distribution of food, fuel, etc. It sounds like you're not imagining being in a battle zone or in an enemy-occupied territory.

I believe the direct attack will only be against New York City. The zombies have a long history of attacking commerce. NYC is the commercial center of the United States.

Do you imagine your town to be close enough to one of the attack sites that you will have to worry about radiation and refugees?

Ocala, Florida is a long way from NYC. My family is safe from the direct attack.

Are you assuming the collapse of government and the breakdown of order, or just an overburdened government with reduced social services, but the local cops are still keeping the peace?

As for the government, this is my guess so take it with a grain of salt. The government may be so overwhelmed that martial law may have to be declared.

How long do you imagine this situation to last?

I don't know but I believe America will survive this. After all, word has gone out to stock up on food and supplies by the end of the summer. The summer ended back in September. Moreover, America would have to be around to protect one of its friends.

Jeanette Isabelle

#277679 - 11/21/15 10:23 PM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Just a note, my list was developed from many discussions with my parents, aunts, and uncles who ranged in age from 8 to mid-20's during WWII (and the Great Depression before the war. Some were too young to know what was going on and didn't understand why their tin toys were taken away during government scrap metal collections. Other fought in the war. The main repeated idea from all of them was there wasn't enough stuff so being able to fix or repurpose stuff was crucial.

Jeanette, it sounds like in your scenario the war made it to our shores. That changes the equations. You should study the writings of people who have/are living in war zones. Here's a good start: http://www.shtfplan.com/emergency-prepar...ations_04182015
-Blast

Edited by Blast (11/21/15 10:25 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#277680 - 11/21/15 11:24 PM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
A documentary novel is a novel - fiction. I'm no expert on nuclear war, but imo once the major powers start throwing nukes, they'll throw a lot of nukes. The Trident SLBM is the MIRV weapon AFLM mentioned on pg. 2 of this thread; it has 12 independently targeted nuclear warheads. There are 24 Trident missiles on an Ohio class submarine giving 288 thermonuclear warheads per submarine. There are 18 active Ohio class submarines, I have no idea how many are operational at sea, but let's say 1/3 of them as a point of reference. Six submarines times 288 warheads is 1728 warheads.

That's a lot of destruction and potentially a lot of radioactive fallout. Then there are the land-based missiles which in a nuclear exchange will be used first (use 'em or lose 'em). Then there are the Russian, Chinese, Pakistani, Indian and Israeli (assuming they exist) nuclear arsenals -- there are a lot of nukes out there. 2 billion dead in the initial days of WWIII going nuclear is reasonable, the death toll will climb from there and it will not discriminate.

#277684 - 11/22/15 09:04 AM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Jeanette wrote:

> San Antonio? I wonder why.

And that's why. It wouldn't be expected. It took out a large mechanised army and made the border insecure.

The Russians are great believers in surprises in war. The most successful trick in military history might be Stalingrad, where they let the germans practically push them into the Volga. The germans thought they had them on the ropes and the russians were running out of troops. In reality the russians were building up enough men to surround the germans with 7 armies. Which they did and destroyed the germans there.
It's even part of their orders in attacks. Plan an attack without mentioning the surprise and you'll be asked why you have left it out.

qjs

#277685 - 11/22/15 01:43 PM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
You might read "Warday" by Whitley Striber and Jim Kunnetka. It was published in 1980 and provides great food for thought regarding a post WW III America.

#277687 - 11/22/15 04:39 PM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Pete Offline
Veteran

BLAST - I liked your list. There are a lot of good thoughts there.

Back to the OP ...

Everyone can talk about "WWIII" until it becomes Mission Impossible.

I don't think you can worry about things that much. It might never happen. If you try to achieve a self-sustaining lifestyle, you are probably in the best position. This can be done in a lot of places.

And then quit worrying about it.

One thing that is a constructive suggestion. I have discovered that the amount of bureaucracy that is happening with a countries is increasing - longer delays for visas, added expenses, new rules that charge more fees for entry into countries, or immigration procedures. So if you plan to relocate to another country - DO IT SOON !!! This is only going to get worse and worse.

Likewise, I wouldn't be surprised to see local communities in the USA who are increasing the fees for building, or making it more difficult to buy land. It always boils down to MONEY. Everybody wants more money.

Therefore, if you plan to "homestead" anywhere ... it's time to get moving. Don't delay.
Good luck!

cheers,
Pete

Edited by Pete (11/22/15 09:24 PM)

#277690 - 11/22/15 10:05 PM Re: WW III [Re: Pete]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Pete
I don't think you can worry about things that much. It might never happen.

I believe it has already started.

I believe it is best to bug in unless I receive word to move out. I have not received word to move out.

Jeanette Isabelle

#277693 - 11/23/15 06:56 AM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
If conflict escalates to the level of world war, it probably won't matter whether you stay home or leave. World war, especially in this time, will be virtually boundless, whether conventional or otherwise. Any conflict that allows for egress would, by definition in modern forms of engagement, preclude it from being world war. So what this thread more realistically describes is something less. Survival of world war of realistic contemporary magnitude would be more luck than skill.

Edited by benjammin (11/23/15 06:57 AM)

#277695 - 11/23/15 03:10 PM Re: WW III [Re: benjammin]
Carpal Tunnel

I believe the United States will be involved; more importantly I believe most of the action will take place in the eastern hemisphere as this will mostly affect parts of Asia, Europe and the Middle East. I also believe parts [nations] in what I mentioned will remain relatively unharmed. Of course I could be surprised.

Of course I will keep my ears open as new information is constantly coming in, possibly changing what I stated earlier. Of course I will carefully weigh any new information.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 6 of 13 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.