Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#277682 - 11/22/15 05:04 AM PocketRocket knockoff questions
xavier01 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Phx, AZ
I have two of the PocketRocket knockoffs.

When I screw on a canister (Primus Power Gas) on one, fuel sprays out. On the other stove, no fuel sprays out. Does anyone know why this is and is there a way to keep this wasting-of-fuel from happening?

Thank you, Sincerely.

#277683 - 11/22/15 08:56 AM Re: PocketRocket knockoff questions [Re: xavier01]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

smile having read some posts on adventuresinstoving (esp refilling and thread care ) maybe you have damaged threads or damaged valve?

Is this the stove orange box? Maybe you're missing an o-ring? (says a complaint in reviews)

#277688 - 11/22/15 05:02 PM Re: PocketRocket knockoff questions [Re: xavier01]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Is the fuel spray just a short burst, or does it continue? A brief bust is fairly normal, but continued spray is likely a missing o-ring....

Of course, you could get a real Pocket Rocket. Mine has worked flawlessly for fifteen years and continues to be my most used cooker. It is even an ounce lighter than the knock-off....

#277689 - 11/22/15 08:13 PM Re: PocketRocket knockoff questions [Re: xavier01]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Does it leak at the location where the valve attaches? Or does it leak from the jet.

- In the first case, check o-ring and if the lenght of the pin (the thing that pushes at the canister valve, is the correct lenght. Too long and you won't engage the o-ring. Too short and it won't open the valve. (tolerance issue with cheap stuff).
- In the last case, make sure the valve is turned off before screwing on the stove.

#277734 - 11/26/15 11:04 PM Re: PocketRocket knockoff questions [Re: Tjin]
xavier01 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Phx, AZ
Hi.

I can't see where the leak is coming from. As I screw the stove into the tank, just before the stove washer meets with the stove, I get a spray of extremely cold gas coming out from the entire circumference in between the washer and the stove. I have to continue screwing in for another approx. 1 and a half turns before the rubber washer meets with the stove. Until they meet, I get quite a blast of cold gas on my arm. If the coldness were my only concern, I could just put on a long sleeve, but I am concerned with the amount of gas I lose also.

Is this a tolerance problem mentioned above?

Thank you very much for your input.

#277739 - 11/27/15 08:11 AM Re: PocketRocket knockoff questions [Re: xavier01]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: xavier01
Hi.

I can't see where the leak is coming from. As I screw the stove into the tank, just before the stove washer meets with the stove, I get a spray of extremely cold gas coming out from the entire circumference in between the washer and the stove. I have to continue screwing in for another approx. 1 and a half turns before the rubber washer meets with the stove. Until they meet, I get quite a blast of cold gas on my arm. If the coldness were my only concern, I could just put on a long sleeve, but I am concerned with the amount of gas I lose also.

Is this a tolerance problem mentioned above?

Thank you very much for your input.

Not sure which stove you have. But the MSR Pocket Rocker has two seals. One o-ring at the valve and a rubber washer that sit on the shoulder of the canister. The last one is more of a backup seal and is more of a thing protect the valve from torque forces. On new lightweight stoves they skip that part to save weight.

You always get some leakage at the o-ring at the valve when screw a stove on a canister, but only a short burst. If it's more, but stops after continuous screwing it on, it's probably manufacturing tolerances or you have a o-ring that leaks/is absent. The o-ring must seal the leak. The rubber washer isn’t what is supposed to keep the gas in.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.