Pete Offline
Veteran

Tradeable Items

some good suggestions so far ...

1. Soap (personal and laundry), cheap, inexpensive
2. Onions, potatoes, and other long-lasting vegetables
3. Tylenol, Advil and cold medicines
4. Toilet paper
5. Bicycle parts (tires, pumps, repair kits)
6. Batteries

There seems to be a common idea on discussion forums in the USA (survivalists) that somehow people are going to "shoot their way to survival". But I honestly think that attempts to use robbery or violence to obtain personal items for survival are dangerous and counterproductive. On the other hand, somebody who is skilled at bargaining, and has a few useful items on the shelves in their house, can probably make a lot more headway.

Pete

Edited by Pete (11/19/15 02:28 PM)

#277614 - 11/19/15 02:43 PM Re: WW III [Re: Pete]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Pete
In a real WWIII scenario - really? If you haven't bugged out to some remote location that has good water, firewood, and shelter - you are probably already screwed. Do you really want to fight it out with all the "survivor rats" in the city?

Unless we get word from a credible source to go to a specific place, we're bugging in. Here is where all of are supplies are.

Jeanette Isabelle

#277615 - 11/19/15 02:55 PM Re: WW III [Re: Blast]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Quote:
... Okay, since it's unlikely the zombies have nuclear weapons ...
Yet. However, if the zombies continue to expand their reach, there is a nation in the M.E. that has them. My gut tells me there are things in place to prevent that becoming a problem, but it's something to watch. However, we do not know how far this particular group of zombies wants to push it. Paris may have caused a reaction that they may eventually see as over-reach and a strategic error. So for the time being, conventional zombie tactics on a possibly larger scale seems to be the issue of concern.

I like Blast's list, if you have the means stock up on stuff you already use. Upgrade hardware as seems rational. Sometimes my (undiagnosed) OCD kicks in and I move forward with things that may seem irrational, but they're not wink With that in mind smile , I upgraded my 4 year old cell phone with a newer version and reloaded the apps that I actually use.

I really need a diesel truck ...

#277616 - 11/19/15 03:03 PM Re: WW III [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Let's stick to zombies without getting specific. I don't want this thread locked.

Jeanette Isabelle

#277618 - 11/19/15 03:14 PM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"Unless we get word from a credible source to go to a specific place, we're bugging in. Here is where all of are supplies are."

Jeanette ... I think it all depends on what you are preparing for. If you are anticipating a crisis that lasts for a few months, and you think that supplies will eventually reach your town (or city) - then "bugging in" might be a good option. It's probably a lot better than randomly taking to the roads. You do need to have a LOT of confidence in your neighbors. And I believe that Sheriff Blast made a good point when he said ... friends will let you down.

But a true WWIII would probably throw civilization back into the stone age. Therefore, unless you have a supply of fresh water (a river) and some land where you can grow food ... your long-term prospects are not so good.

The preppers who are actually acquiring good land in distant parts of the world ... that strategy makes a lot of sense to me. I will be doing exactly the same thing in 2016.

good luck to you!

Pete

#277621 - 11/19/15 04:58 PM Re: WW III [Re: Pete]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Pete
But a true WWIII would probably throw civilization back into the stone age. Therefore, unless you have a supply of fresh water (a river) and some land where you can grow food ... your long-term prospects are not so good.

I don't believe WW III will throw the entire civilization back to the Stone Age. A worst-case scenario I foresee is certain places would be uninhabitable.

Jeanette Isabelle

#277624 - 11/19/15 06:14 PM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A limited Nuclear War, for example the equivalent to a Single Trident Missile MIRV attack (such as the missile which was recently launched over Los Angeles) on the UK would result in total destruction..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GJttnC8PoA

If you are of a nervous disposition then do not watch the 1984 film 'Threads', which seems to have been removed from Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0VcT-XWb7M

If you are of a sentimental disposition do not watch the 1986 film 'When the wind blows'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cXO1ddrbuY

Apparently, 'the looking glass' is now constantly in the air and Gladio is back alive and kicking...

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/19/15 06:18 PM)

#277629 - 11/19/15 08:48 PM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
http://fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/c3i/ec-135.htm

Says Looking Glass was decommissioned in 1988.

#277630 - 11/19/15 09:03 PM Re: WW III [Re: unimogbert]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Boeing E6b Mercury 'Looking Glass' are being rotated (air/ground) and even ground maintenance and refueled are being carried at secondary civilian air fields (low priority nuclear missile targets).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_E-6_Mercury

Quote:
Codenamed Looking Glass, it is United States Strategic Command (USSTRATCOM)'s Airborne Command Post, designed to take over in case the Global Operations Center (GOC), located at Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska, is destroyed or incapable of communicating with strategic forces. The term "looking glass" is used because it "mirrors" the abilities of the US Navy to control nuclear forces.

#277634 - 11/19/15 10:36 PM Re: WW III [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
A limited Nuclear War, for example the equivalent to a Single Trident Missile MIRV attack (such as the missile which was recently launched over Los Angeles) on the UK would result in total destruction..

Per the rules of this forum I can't get into why I believe we will not see total destruction unless we are talking about specific places in the world.

For the sake of discussion New York City is gone. No one will be returning to that area any time soon. Those far away from NYC are safe. However, being the economic center of the United States, a total destruction of NYC would cause a ripple effect. The markets, the banking system and the largest distribution hub in the U.S. is now gone. Cash will be king and, if we are lucky, we can withdraw cash from our bank if it ever opens. The distribution of goods will be greatly impacted.

For that reason, if I were a zombie with a few nuclear weapons, NYC would be the only city in the U.S. I would attack. Zombies, after all, have a long history of attacking the commerce of their enemy.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.