Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#278682 - 01/09/16 03:14 PM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
.... The government may be so overwhelmed because it is trying to keep order ....

**** deleted before posting ****
In an attempt to keep my comments from going full throttle political, I'll temper words and just say "follow the money".
Empires fall which eventually links to Corruption At The Top Leads To Lawlessness By The People, which is why the government will be overwhelmed.

#278710 - 01/10/16 01:54 PM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Yesterday Mom and I discussed getting a passport in the event we need to leave the country. She has a passport, I don't. I need to get on it this week.

Jeanette Isabelle

#278717 - 01/10/16 07:15 PM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
You don't need a passport to leave this country. You may need one to get back in. I've walked across both borders many times without needing paperwork of any sort. The northern border especially is quite porous.

But it depends on your intentions. If you are planning on commercial travel to a populated area outside the US, you must have papers.

Where are your papers, comrade?

#278718 - 01/10/16 07:46 PM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Just get your passport. While you're at it, travel a bit. There are many lovely countries in the world! It's very easy to get into EU countries and other similar advanced countries if you are American. See some sights, meet some people. If you're concerned about communication, there are plenty of English-speaking countries, and many non-English-speaking countries where the tourist industry workers know enough English to help you meet your basic needs. For example, I went to a Swiss ski resort, and I was embarrassed to discover that the cashier in the restaurant speaks three or four languages, whereas I -- urh, well, let's just say I'm American.

If it's your first passport, it may take several weeks for them to process your application. So get it done ASAP.

#278720 - 01/10/16 08:40 PM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
There are still a lot of unknowns. One of the countries Mom and I discussed, if we have to leave America, is Israel. The words I actually understand in Hebrew are few.

We say the Shema in Hebrew every week in synagogue; I'm just reading the words on the screen.

Jeanette Isabelle

#278723 - 01/10/16 09:28 PM Re: WW III [Re: Bingley]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
I was embarrassed to discover that the cashier in the restaurant speaks three or four languages, whereas I -- urh, well, let's just say I'm American.

That's not anything to be embarrassed about here. Depending on what state you live in, you can travel 500 miles and not reach a border. For Europeans, that distance would put you two or three COUNTRIES and languages away.

#278728 - 01/11/16 04:48 AM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I wouldn't worry about not knowing modern Hebrew if you want to go to Israel. English is a world language and is widely spoken there. You'll do fine. BTW, I love the shema. It is great for centering and focusing.

#278730 - 01/11/16 04:55 AM Re: WW III [Re: benjammin]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
From the U.S. State Department website: "Entry into Canada: Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens."

#278731 - 01/11/16 05:03 AM Re: WW III [Re: MoBOB]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Conversely, for those who want to flee from the USA into Canada anytime soon, don't plan on driving cross country here as the main Trans Canada highway is closed in northern Ontario and effectively cutting off all vehicular traffic for an unknown amount of time. The only detour is long drive south through the USA.

Google map of area

John Lubbock

#278733 - 01/11/16 05:16 AM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i have taken the Trans Canada many times and it's packed with trucks.i'll have to check the Minnesota news about traffic coming across the norther part of the state from Canada.

Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.