The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#277592 - 11/18/15 06:38 AM Re: France [Re: Pete]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Prayers for all of the families and friends who are affected.

Amen to that

We shouldn't be paralyzed by these crazy events
We shouldn't stop our lives just because this or that happens

Actually, even without these criminal attacks we can be hit by any one of countless hazards (electric shock, car accident ..etc. ) and thus we should go on with our lives regardless.

IMHO, this is the best answer to mindless people trying to crush humanity. And also this is the best justification to be better, smarter preppers.

#277597 - 11/18/15 08:49 PM Re: France [Re: Pete]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Pete

I did notice that from the personal accounts inside the theatre ... many concert-goers were "frozen in shock". it is that weird psychological shock that happens when people see things that are completely outside their experience. The survivors literally had to climb over 'frozen people' to escape the scene. Those that did MOVE had a better chance of survival. But there is no easy answer for this ... that tendency to freeze is deeply ingrained into our subconcscious and it takes a lot of willpower to "un-freeze your body" and get moving.

Pete

It's been discussed in this forum before, but it's worth mentioning again because of it's relevance to the surviver accounts. Amanda Ripley's "Unthinkable", ISBN 978-0-307-35290-3, covers the fight/flight/freeze/flop reaction in depth.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#277602 - 11/19/15 12:39 AM Re: France [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
If you are unfamiliar with the work of Amanda Ripley on how people react in a disaster and how to use this to survive now would be a good time to check her out.
http://www.npr.org/2008/07/22/92616679/identifying-who-survives-disasters-and-why

-Blast

Edited by Blast (11/19/15 02:14 AM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#277606 - 11/19/15 04:21 AM Re: France [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Pete Offline
Veteran

BIG THANKS on the Amanda Ripley work. No, I wasn't aware of it. But I will definitely check it out.

By the way - I just looked at the video replays of the attack by one of the terrorists on the Pizza Parlor in Paris. Actually, it looked as if all of the patrons (and store owners) behaved in a very sensible way. Everyone got down on the floor immediately when glass started shattering. The attacker fired a large number of bullets from an AK-47 into the storefront, but very few bullets hit people. He sprayed the place down. It did shatter a lot of glass. The people inside took cover on the floor and behind counters VERY quickly. A counter won't necessarily stop bullets, but it does keep you hidden. Several people used the opportunity when firing stopped (the attacker was reloading his weapon), to run upstairs, or downstairs to the basement. I thought that the reactions of the people inside the store were very sensible ... actually quite brave. A few people did help others to also reach safer locations inside the store.

Apparently the attacker did approach two women who are cowering on the ground. He was going to execute them, but his gun jammed. The two women ran away. Again - and excellent decision. It is worthwhile to remember that gunmen must reload their weapons (or change to a different weapon). That brief pause in time gives you the opportunity to run away, or to hit the attacker with something (for example ... a chair).

Pete

Pete

Edited by Pete (11/19/15 04:00 PM)

#277648 - 11/20/15 04:55 AM Re: France [Re: Blast]
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Blast
If you are unfamiliar with the work of Amanda Ripley on how people react in a disaster and how to use this to survive now would be a good time to check her out.
http://www.npr.org/2008/07/22/92616679/identifying-who-survives-disasters-and-why

Thanks for a great tip! I just downloaded the audiobook from the Naval online library, and after I listen to it I'll probably have my wife order hard copies for the medical library. I've been helping her build up her disaster/emergency/survival medicine & psychology collection, and this looks like a very useful addition.

#277656 - 11/20/15 08:00 PM Re: France [Re: Blast]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Thanks for reminding. I downloaded Amanda Ripley's book "The Unthinkable: Who Survives When Disaster Strikes — And Why" to my Kindle and it is a keeper. Thanks for bringing this book to my attention.

#277675 - 11/21/15 06:27 PM Re: France [Re: haertig]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Huh? For hundreds of thousands of victims in those areas, choice had nothing to do with it, including an awful lot of christians. They have about as much choice as the people killed in Paris had. I don't see that as any sort of political statement. It is a matter of fact and a reality we may all must face.

The difference now is there are a few more french that are also victims of Islamic terrorism. Not to belittle this pain, to point out it is part of a growing sorrow.

#277677 - 11/21/15 08:52 PM Re: France [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
ISIS has just made an Strategic Mistake of epic proportions. If there is one place in the world that is considered to be the cultural centre of the world, it is Paris. Every civilized country in the world has an embassy or consulate there. Paris is probably the closest place on Earth to neutral ground. By attacking Paris they have demonstrated to everyone that they are Hostis Humanis Generis.

Latin: Hostis Humanis Generis.
Translation: Hostile to Humanity in General.
Transliteration: Enemy of all Mankind.

#277698 - 11/23/15 05:07 PM Re: France [Re: Pete]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 423 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.