Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#277544 - 11/15/15 11:58 PM Re: France [Re: chaosmagnet]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
You know, there's a certain irony in this. While it is upsetting to see this going on in a place like Paris, imagine living in Baghdad, or Kabul, or Damascus, or Beirut? These places have been under siege from terrorists for well over a decade. These things happen regularly there, and the civilians face this sort of threat daily. But unless an attack is exceptionally horrific, when do we hear about these?

There is a thin veil of comfort masquerading as security covering us. It gets pierced once in a while, and we get butt hurt and indignant that these barbarians and fanatics have the gall to threaten us and disrupt our lives. We are shocked when they perpetrate "acts of evil" on our sensibilities. For much of the world, they can only hope for peace of mind once in a while.

I'm no one special, I just learnt one day what it feels like to run like hell for your life without a means to defend yourself, and see people around you die. I know I'm not the only one here. I would prefer not to go through that again, ever. But I know I probably will.

#277550 - 11/16/15 10:14 AM Re: France [Re: benjammin]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: benjammin
You know, there's a certain irony in this. While it is upsetting to see this going on in a place like Paris, imagine living in Baghdad, or Kabul, or Damascus, or Beirut? These places have been under siege from terrorists for well over a decade. These things happen regularly there, and the civilians face this sort of threat daily. But unless an attack is exceptionally horrific, when do we hear about these?

Ironic indeed. I recall a time, seems like ages ago now, when I made a similar (diplomatic and well meaning) comment referring to 9/11. I ended up on the receiving end of a spectacular flame war and people hurling the kind of insults you'd never expect from "civilized" folks.

So let's tread very carefully and leave politics aside for now. It's bad enough as it is. I feel sorry for Paris, it used to be such a beautiful place.

#277551 - 11/16/15 06:25 PM Re: France [Re: benjammin]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: benjammin

The difference is, terrorism, bombings, jihads, etc. are a cultural/religious thing that appears more or less acceptable to folks that live in those places you mentioned. So there is nothing shocking about it to them - it's the way they choose to live.

Other parts of the world, like Paris, do not choose to live like that, so these things very shocking in these other places, and make headlines.

#277553 - 11/16/15 09:38 PM Re: France [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana
Ladies and Gentlemen:

This thread is fast dissolving into political / cultural opinion. Bring it back or this thread goes bye-bye.

.....CLIFF
(like, who else?)

Edited by cliff (11/16/15 09:39 PM)

#277564 - 11/17/15 02:52 AM Re: France [Re: cliff]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: cliff
Ladies and Gentlemen:

This thread is fast dissolving into political / cultural opinion. Bring it back or this thread goes bye-bye.

.....CLIFF
(like, who else?)

And seconded by Blast.

Let's keep this on ways to survive/escape such attacks rather than bemoan the state of the world.
Thank you kindly,
-Blast

Edited by Blast (11/17/15 02:52 AM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#277567 - 11/17/15 01:30 PM Re: France [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I posted this on the EDC site, but will mention it here... a bandana rather than a handkerchief large enough to use as a bandage... a small zip loc bag to use as an occlusive dressing to help seal a chest penetration... a good pocket size LED flashlight... a cell phone with good standby time and GPS... an AM/FM radio or app for phone that gives good situational awareness for events outside your immediate area would be valuable for emergency situations like this event...if you don't speak the language, a couple of flash cards with the native language on one side, and Romanized to English on the other... "take me to the hospital... police station... American Consulate".. and a picture of Ben Franklin for their service

#277571 - 11/17/15 02:51 PM Re: France [Re: Blast]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Blast
Let's keep this on ways to survive/escape such attacks...

Obviously, the best way to survive something like this is to avoid it in the first place. Easier said than done, certainly. But honestly, avoidance is part of my plan. When things start heating up in the world, I simply do not attend large crowded events. (Most of those I really didn't want to go to anyway, but the wife drags me there sometimes!)

I also make note of my surroundings as I enter an establishment. Where are the doors? Where are potential cover and concealment places? In restaurants, I sit at a table that is not the first one you run into when you enter the restaurant. If possible, a table near an escape route - into the kitchen possibly. And I always sit on the side of the table that offers the best overall view of what's happening in the restaurant.

I profile people. I am constantly on the lookout for people who potentially might want to do me harm. Yes, that means as I eye you over, I am evaluating all kinds of things about you. Which includes your demeanor, your apparent intelligence/shrewdness level, the things you are discussing, your manner of dress, your skin color, your friends, the kind of car you drove up in, your apparent religion. Yeah, all that "politically incorrect" stuff. But when my personal safety and that of my family is on the line, I don't care about political correctness. I treat everyone the same and without bias, but you can bet your bottom dollar that I will use every potential clue about you for my internal mental evaluation. Anyone who claims that they are so politically correct as to never do this is either an idiot, or a liar.

I always carry my cellphone. And I am always armed. If an establishment bans concealed carry, then I don't go into that establishment. Criminals and terrorists do not obey "no firearms allowed" signs. Some may even seek those places out. So best to avoid them IMHO. That's part of the plan.

#277575 - 11/17/15 04:54 PM Re: France [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
This thread started out political from the first post.

#277576 - 11/17/15 05:49 PM Re: France [Re: haertig]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I have some thoughts on the tactics used and their implications for being prepared.

The multiple attacks seemed designed to attract the French police to one location, thus giving the other attackers time/space to operate in. Note that stadium security worked (at the cost of the lives of several of the members of the security force).

So, don’t think that a single event/attack is the only one, or even the main one---it may only be a diversion. Be prepared for a follow-up attack on the first responders (and other running to help) and/or other targets.

By all reports, the other targets were more or less ordinary “every day” establishments, not famous or tourist places. They apparently were simply popular local establishments for the local citizens.

This suggests to me that there was deliberate attempt to send the message to people that they are not safe in their home/neighborhood, and that the police can’t protect them. Thus, while trying to avoid large public events like the stadium is a very reasonable protective measure, it is incomplete: you can be or are still are a target at the local shopping mall, little league game etc. The message/fear they want to instill is that nowhere is safe. Largely, they are right. They can attack anywhere at any time. That is hard to defend against. So be as prepared at the mall as the big game.

Finally, they want to provoke overreactions against the local Muslim communities. They believe that this will polarize people and drive more recruits into their ranks. Try not to help them recruit new members.

Just a few of my thoughts. Plan, prepare, but don't let fear take over your life. I have friends in D.C. that are really getting upset about the announcements that D.C. is next. My reaction to them is that nothing has changed---D.C. has always been a target. Used to be nukes were the big worry, now it is guys with vest bombs and AKs.

#277579 - 11/17/15 07:16 PM Re: France [Re: clearwater]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: clearwater
This thread started out political from the first post.

The statement "Je suis partie français et je suis en accord avec la France." is political? confused

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.