Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#2771 - 11/30/01 03:24 AM Yuck...tin in my soup!
Anonymous
Unregistered

About a week ago I picked up both a Leatherman Wave and a SAK Rucksack as well as a Kershaw Ken Onion Vapor. I'll report more after I've played with all of them a bit more.<br><br>But I just did open a can of Campbell's condensed chicken soup...half of it with the SAK and half with the wave. I sat reading the web while eating my soup out of a tupperware container. Only in the last bite I saw there was a piece of the can (it's tin, right?) Another one remained in the tupperware. They were small pieces about three quarters of a centimer long, and pretty thin. <br><br>I wouldn't be surprised if I ate one or two pieces before I noticed them. I assume I should just sleep it off, right? I mean I shouldn't be worried about health effects or anything...?<br><br>I'm pretty sure it was the Wave that caused this, not the SAK...but I'll do more testing eventually (although I'm not going to eat anything opened from either until I've recovered from the trauma (grin)...I've decided I like my Oxo can opener much more!!)<br><br>Anyone else experienced this?

#2772 - 11/30/01 03:50 AM Re: Yuck...tin in my soup!
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I can't speak for the Wave, but I have opened a jillion cans with my orig Leatherman PST and a Super Tool. Never have seen any metal in my soup. Ditto with a P-38. Not being a big fan of SAK's (please don't hate me), I'd blame it.

#2773 - 11/30/01 04:25 AM Re: Yuck...tin in my soup!
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This too, shall pass. P-38s rule.

#2774 - 11/30/01 05:16 AM Prmitive sharpening
Neanderthal Offline
newbie member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I am a fan of Rc60+ steels. In a survival situation, might it be wiser to go with a softer steel, one that would be more easily sharpened with available natural materials ?

PROVERBS 21:19

#2775 - 11/30/01 06:30 AM Re: Primitive sharpening
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My base 'survival knife', a Cold Steel SRK, has a small diamond plate hone, large metal match and ceramic hone secured to the sheath under wrapped paracord. A second plate is taped to my pocket tin lid. Some knives, such as the AF survival knife are 'soft' for ease of sharpening. I tried it with the provided stone and quickly switched to a full Arkansas set before arctic survival school. First my edge succumbed.Tthen the small stone broke in half. I sharpened the blade on an expedient rock. Then the blade snapped splitting wood. Only sharp knives are interesting, and like firemaking I carry more than one, with suitable sharpening tools.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.