Topic Options
#277075 - 10/14/15 11:38 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
...what kind of government do you want?

I'd be happiest with one that spent only money it actually had in hand, where Election Day is also Tax Day, where only one kind of tax was permitted to be collected (property taxes, I think, as sales taxes tend to gum up the machinery of commerce and income taxes has the government involve itself in how I earn money), where religion was not the basis of law, where bureaucrats could not make law, and where the government's function was to do the things that only government can do effectively (defense, police, courts).

Since that place exists solely in my mind I would settle for one that was just like the United States but actually followed the written Constitution.

#277076 - 10/15/15 12:31 AM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: chaosmagnet]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I'd be happiest with one that spent only money it actually had in hand

I'll go for that. I also want one that doesn't waste taxpayers' money.

Jeanette Isabelle

#277085 - 10/15/15 06:35 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: haertig]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Colorado was cool. The two things I didn't care for when I lived there was the weather (two tornadoes and numerous thunderstorms at most inopportune times), and the politics. They have their own state run "bureau of investigation", and they confused me with someone else with a criminal record. When I tried to purchase a firearm, they denied me, and said I would have to prove in court I was not the criminal, and the judge would have to agree to it. Needless to say, I did not stick around to wait for them to come a calling with the swat team. Also, I was uncomfortable with the 4/20 celebration happening out on the state's capital lawn.

Yeah, and the traffic in Denver was not much fun either.

But the fishing was pretty cool, and the food was tasty.

#277113 - 10/18/15 01:30 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: benjammin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have lived in southern California for some time, and it has its negatives and its pluses. Realistically, what you do is adapt, minimizing the negatives and taking full advantage of the positives.

We have earthquakes, but we don't have tornadoes or hurricanes;thunderstorms are rare.

The area is over crowded, but the population is ethically and culturally diverse. We get many cultural events that don't play elsewhere. Freeways can be jammed, so you learn about off-peak travel.

Weather is generally mild (which can actually be boring!) I have a daily choice of beach, ocean, mountain environments within thirty minutes of my house. Desert and high mountain country are an easy drive. Lots of national parks and other preserves, which can be crowded (Yosemite!), but I know of secluded places, not to be named, where solitude can be found - pristine beaches where I have never encountered another soul....

What works is a change of place. For several years, I have worked seasonally in South Dakota, which is SoCal turned inside out. SoCal-every other person drives a Prius. SoDak-get a pickup truck or leave! I eagerly await my annual SoDak fix!

People is each environment generally respond rationally to their situation, which gives me hope for the human race.

#277114 - 10/18/15 02:30 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
The area is over crowded, but the population is ethically and culturally diverse.

"Ethically" or "ethnically"? Or is this one of those humor things?

#277117 - 10/18/15 03:16 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
OOps! Missed that one completely! However, upon further review, I think both words fit - my original intent was "ethnically"

#277119 - 10/18/15 04:06 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
LOL smile I saw that too but didn't see a need to correct -- ethically diverse seems fitting and appropriate.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.