Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#277026 - 10/12/15 04:22 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: haertig]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
If you could live anywhere with all current restrictions removed, where would you live?

Putting emphasis on your "current restrictions removed" statement

My mental health should not be an issue for my situation. They have the doctors and the medications I need there too.

Originally Posted By: haertig
I'd consider the Pacific Northwest. There are reasons I wouldn't necessarily move there now, because of restrictions - the building up of left coast firearms laws and attitudes specifically. I'd consider Hawaii too, given that their current onerous restrictions would be removed as well.

Taking things a step further, such as laws, is an interesting thought. Even then I would pick Israel.

Jeanette Isabelle

#277027 - 10/12/15 06:10 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I would probably consider moving to northern Perthshire, somewhere around the Loch of the Lowes or Dunkeld, although the county of Angus next to Perthshire does have some nice Glens. The North of the Kingdom of Fife around Falkland and Newburgh is a little too quiet though. wink

#277029 - 10/12/15 07:29 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Having traveled far and wide, I have found the ideal place for me. Alaska meets my criteria for individual freedoms, lack of poisonous/dangerous vermin, abundant resources, favorable weather, and minimal population. Anchorage was a bit crowded for me, but where I am now is about as good as it gets. Sure, the state govt has it's personally undesirable slants, but fortunately they don't affect me significantly yet. Time will tell, as it did in Washington.

I could go for Queensland AU, except for the snakes and spiders, and the 45%+ income tax rate. The area around Reno NV would be good, except for the proximity to California and the overflow of their influence in the area. Walla Walla was pretty nice, but again, the political philosophy of the area is wanting, and they too have snakes and spiders I've had run-ins with.

Europe, Asia, and Africa are far too inhospitable, both politically and naturally, for my tastes. Europe feels sort of used up and gentrified. Asia is just too crowded and overgrown, and Africa is just plain hostile. Parts of South America would work I suppose, but I have no real experience to contemplate.

I am happy with where I am for the moment. I don't need any panacea remedies or qualifiers to enjoy life here, so until the big one hits, this is as good as it gets in my humble opinion. I could make a list, and even started one on this thread. But not so sure it is a good idea to advertise what I don't want to share.

Edited by benjammin (10/12/15 07:31 PM)

#277032 - 10/12/15 09:14 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I agree completely with Big Ben on Africa and Europe!

#277033 - 10/12/15 09:23 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I think Alaska would be awesome if we're talking the parts off of the Ring of Fire and out of the tsunami zone. But I have not yet had a chance to visit the state.

#277034 - 10/12/15 10:42 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: wildman800]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Originally Posted By: wildman800
But every place has it's STOBOR....

Best to build traps for them, just in case.

#277041 - 10/13/15 12:12 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: benjammin]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Europe, Asia, and Africa are far too inhospitable, both politically and naturally, for my tastes. Europe feels sort of used up and gentrified. Asia is just too crowded and overgrown, and Africa is just plain hostile. Parts of South America would work I suppose, but I have no real experience to contemplate.

Hmm, I can't really think of all that many inhospitable places in Europe. And Asia being crowded... Heck, Mongolia and Siberia would be just about perfect for anyone trying to get away from civilization. But anyway, to each his own.

As cliche as it may sound, Provence may be closer to the ideal place than anywhere else I've been so far. Or Portugal, the countryside is fantastic. Beautiful nature, pretty relaxed and easygoing (in a good way) all around. Maybe not the ultimate choice for a gun nut. Then again, not the kind of place where you'd need a gun for anything other than personal amusement.

#277052 - 10/13/15 09:00 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
My mind freezes at the "current restrictions removed" clause.

What does that mean?

No earthquakes, floods, volcanos, diseases, tornadoes, nosy neighbors, intrusive governments, predatory animals, venomous pests?

#277056 - 10/13/15 09:59 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: unimogbert]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Realistically, it is very unlikely that there is an"ideal" place to live,with no negative features...

I, too, am a fan of central Arizona. living for about three years in Globe, a small community which is rather insular and provincial - still, good folks. But weather extremes and EQ possibilities exist there. Where precisely in central AZ do you not have these conditions - Prescott?

#277057 - 10/13/15 10:18 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Mars. A well funded, long term NASA settlement on Mars smile

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 400 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.