Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#276925 - 10/04/15 11:16 AM Re: Putting together a day hiking pack..... [Re: wildman800]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: wildman800
About a fixed blade knife, I think I'll include a K98 Mauser Bayonet. It's heavy and is useful for many applications.

If a good quality, inexpensive sharpened prybar is what you're looking for I'd recommend a Glock field knife instead. It's surprisingly light but pretty much indestructible and comes with an awesome lightweight sheath (much better than the heavy steel scabbard on the Mauser bayonet).

Or an AK-style bayonet. Cheap and very durable. I keep a Bulgarian AK-74 bayonet in my toolbox, it makes an awesome heavy duty tool but it was a pain to sharpen for the first time. Those things were never really intended to do much cutting but the blade is capable of taking a decent edge and the point can be used to pry or dig with little risk of damage. Also, the scabbard and bayonet can be used as a wire cutter - quite effective in that department.

#276931 - 10/05/15 02:52 AM Re: Putting together a day hiking pack..... [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I think I'll play with the K 98 for awhile...

#276933 - 10/05/15 01:39 PM Re: Putting together a day hiking pack..... [Re: Tom_L]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I take the "sharpened pry bar" advice quite literally and often something like this accompanies me on field trips and excavations: http://www.stanleytools.com/en-US/produc...n-bar/stht55134

When grubbing around in the rocks and gravel, a gadget like this is a very useful tool indeed. Sharpening them helps...

Edited by hikermor (10/05/15 01:40 PM)

#276950 - 10/06/15 02:09 PM Re: Putting together a day hiking pack..... [Re: hikermor]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I take the "sharpened pry bar" advice quite literally and often something like this accompanies me on field trips and excavations: http://www.stanleytools.com/en-US/produc...n-bar/stht55134

When grubbing around in the rocks and gravel, a gadget like this is a very useful tool indeed. Sharpening them helps...

Yup, agreed. I don't have much experience with that particular product but it's a lot like a couple of prybars that I've modified over the years to do pretty much the same thing. Not a tool I would carry regularly on field trips, though. A little heavy and bulky, plus not very effective at cutting.

That's why a sturdy knife might be a more practical option out in the field. I mentioned the Glock M78 because it's cheap and works really well for that purpose. I also like Wildman's suggestion. Granted, bayonets are not often thought of as practical outdoor tools but some types are acutally pretty good for that kind of rough work. Not so sure about the good old Mauser '98, those things are already pretty old and have considerable collector value. Also, the blade on some models tends to be soft and bends easily.

The ubiquitous AK bayonet is easily available on the surplus market, it's compact, lightweight and really well made for what it is. A semi-sharp, almost indestructible chunk of steel with a very strong point. The sawback isn't all that great but works reasonably well as a root saw. And the wire cutter can be useful at times. That's just one example, I could think of many more options that I know would perform OK in the field.

No bayonet that I know of can replace a good sheath knife as a cutting instrument but as a backup tool for rough work, well - I think the idea has some merit. Just make sure to avoid the models prone to breakage. Unfortunately, many modern bayonets fall into that category. The British issue SA80 comes to mind, the US M9 is not much better in that regard.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 162 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.