The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#276920 - 10/04/15 02:17 AM The Cat's Pajamas
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I'm using an antiquated idiom to describe something that's cutting edge or revolutionary.

When I think of cutting edge or innovative gear used to sustain life, or something really well designed, I think of the PSP, PSP+, Doc Blue's Family Medical Kit, The Aqua Pouch Plus and Leatherman Tread.

What gear, used to sustain life, is so revolutionary, innovative or simply well designed that it deserves to be mentioned, regardless of the price?

Jeanette Isabelle

#276921 - 10/04/15 03:02 AM Re: The Cat's Pajamas [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
adaptation of kidney dialysis filter technology to water filtration... Sawyer has a .02 micron absolute

self administered tourniquets

hemostatic clotting agents

pressure bandages and occlusive pressure bandages

widespread distribution of AED (automatic defibrillators)

LED technology producing 200+ lumen in a single cell pocket light

hand held thermal imaging scopes

ceramic body armor

#276922 - 10/04/15 03:17 AM Re: The Cat's Pajamas [Re: LesSnyder]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
self administered tourniquets

pressure bandages and occlusive pressure bandages

LED technology producing 200+ lumen in a single cell pocket light

Which ones?

Jeanette Isabelle

#276923 - 10/04/15 03:18 AM Re: The Cat's Pajamas [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Mine is hardly an objective opinion, having benefited considerably from the technology and the procedures, but I find the whole field of work involving heart transplants, replacement heart valves and similar operations almost miraculous.

I was in the room, but not paying attention, when they stopped my heart, turning my circulation over to a machine and gave me a brand new valve. I understand this procedure is 'commonplace' and "routine" but to me it is absolutely fabulous....

#276924 - 10/04/15 04:02 AM Re: The Cat's Pajamas [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I don't know about the tourniquets or bandages of which LesSnyder speaks, but one single cell LED light is the FourSevens Mini ML It's a nice light and small, disappears when dropped in your pocket.

#276926 - 10/04/15 01:40 PM Re: The Cat's Pajamas [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Contractor garbage bags, especially the orange one from here:

Large Orange Plastic Bag

It is simple, can be used in so many ways, and can save your life.

#276927 - 10/04/15 11:20 PM Re: The Cat's Pajamas [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
JI... the windlass type of tourniquets have hook and loop or clip openings that allow you to self apply... CAT and SOFF-T are some examples

pressure bandages.. most have a lever bar application where the tail bandage passes through a slot, then the direction is reversed to "cinch" the dressing to apply more pressure... emergency or Israeli are common names

occlusive dressing has a thin external "plastic" layer to help seal a thoracic puncture to allow the lung to function... Olaes

several companies like the mentioned 4Sevens make single CR123 powered pocket lights with 175+ lumen... Streamlight ProTac 1L, SolarForce Z1, or Fenix... my EDC Fenix E12 is a AA light with 130 lumen and 3 settings

Edited by LesSnyder (10/05/15 02:13 AM)

#276928 - 10/05/15 01:33 AM Re: The Cat's Pajamas [Re: LesSnyder]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
JI... the windlass type of tourniquets have hook and loop or clip openings that allow you to self apply... CAT and SOFF-T are some examples

pressure bandages.. most have a lever bar application where the tail bandage passes through a slot, then the direction is reversed to "cinch" the dressing to apply more pressure... emergency or Israeli are common names

occlusive dressing has a thin external "plastic" layer to help seal a thoracic puncture to allow the lung to function

The TMK-IFAK Pouch & Insert has everything you mentioned and then some.

Jeanette Isabelle

#276930 - 10/05/15 02:05 AM Re: The Cat's Pajamas [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
For prepackaged individual first aid kits, Dark Angel has what I think are some of the best thought out pouches and kits.

Over time, tourniquets have change, but two have been on the top of just about every test out there; the CAT series and SOFTT series of tourniquets. Personally, I prefer the newest generation of the CAT tourniquets for slightly easier use and storage.

One thing to remember when buying either CAT or SOFTT is to be careful where you purchase them. There are a significant number of fake CAT and SOFTT on the market and they are of poor quality and regularly fail.

For high lumen LED flashlights, for years my Nitecore Smart PD D10 has been my go to EDC light. It runs off of a single AA and produces 130 Lumens in a solid/reliable package. Recently, I have been looking for a new EDC light that produces a higher output. I still haven't found one that is a true replacement for the Nitecore, and I have tried many but I am currently using an Eagletac D25C Clicky that is the closest I have come to meeting my requirements.

One of my favorite new survival products on the market, is also pretty simple. Battle Systems LLC. has produced a lightweight signal panel that accommodates a signal mirror on a velcro patch and folds up in a small, pocket sized package.

#276932 - 10/05/15 01:38 PM Re: The Cat's Pajamas [Re: Alan_Romania]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Alan_Romania
For prepackaged individual first aid kits, Dark Angel has what I think are some of the best thought out pouches and kits.

I'm not seeing much of a difference between these individual first aid kits and individual first aid kits made by similar companies with the difference being North American Rescue. Other than the CAT, I'm not impressed with NAR.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.