The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#276842 - 09/28/15 02:41 PM Re: What would you take? [Re: Nomad]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Are pictures necessary? A tool list might be all that's needed.

#276844 - 09/28/15 03:33 PM Re: What would you take? [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
So....What would you take?

For Santa Rosa Island my immediate thoughts would be:
  • Communications -- If cell service isn't reliable I would consider a satphone, PLB, or perhaps a ham radio as being essential. The PLB would be my "default" choice. I would really like to have a communications plan that involved regular check-ins with a reliable person.
  • First Aid -- Covering boo-boos (with a focus on footcare) and traumatic injury.
  • Tools -- A full-size multitool, bit kit for same, duct tape, along with any tools needed for the purpose of the expedition.
  • Appropriate clothing and footwear, with clean socks to wear every day
  • Food, stove and fuel (assuming that the no fires rule doesn't apply to stoves)
  • A whole lot of water
  • Tent, mat, sleeping bag
  • Flashlights and batteries
  • Something to read before bedtime

Edited by chaosmagnet (09/28/15 06:09 PM)
Edit Reason: typos corrected

#276845 - 09/28/15 04:20 PM Re: What would you take? [Re: Nomad]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Nomad
Yes. But I don't know how to post pictures here. I don't want to join any picture storage site.

Can someone provide instructions on how to display photos??

Nomad

Go to full screen reply
Below the bottom of the text field, there is a blue text "File manager" link.
The file manager will allow you to upload local (on your computer, cell, etc) files to your ETS forum posts.

Edited by Mark_R (09/28/15 04:22 PM)
Edit Reason: Spelling: cell, not cello

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#276848 - 09/28/15 05:18 PM Re: What would you take? [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

So....What would you take?

I never forget my teddy bear, and neither should you!

#276862 - 09/29/15 10:43 AM Re: What would you take? [Re: Mark_R]
ATN Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Originally Posted By: Pete
Bingley - if it helps you any ... I am GOING to one of those countries. So your "abtract" question is not theoretical for me. In the next 10 weeks I have to decide EXACTLY what I will get, then acquire the equipment, and then GO!!!

Don't you love it - when life is real??!!

I will watch the answers here with some interest!!

Pete

OK, let me get this straight
$1000 & 75lb limit.
You will have local dress and food.
2-3 years unsupported
Developing country, but you can't tell us, or don't know, where.

I'm probably way off the mark, but the only thing that would send a person out for that long, unsupported, in a developing country, is missionary work in a country where missionary work is illegal. That means southwest Asia or the southern former USSR republics like Chechnya or Kazakhstan.

That means arid, or semi-arid with a big temperature range.

If you don't know exactly where you are going, consider backing out now.

At the moment, I'm not going anywhere and don't have any plans to do so in the immediate future. I have seen other people do somewhat long term volunteer/ missionary trips although I never got the full details of their trip. Factors like climate would certainly play a role but I was curious about some of the basics on such a trip.

#276867 - 09/29/15 09:29 PM Re: What would you take? [Re: ATN]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would think it imperative to understand the customs and social situations where you will be spending time. There are places where it is a grave insult to show the bare soles of your feet, for instance; or to point with your finger.....

#276871 - 09/29/15 11:10 PM Re: What would you take? [Re: hikermor]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I would think it imperative to understand the customs and social situations where you will be spending time. There are places where it is a grave insult to show the bare soles of your feet, for instance; or to point with your finger.....

Trying to hitch a ride with your thumb in Russia, Mideast, or North Africa will probably get you run over. Like "V" for victory or peace, with your palm in, while in most english speaking countries, it's the regional equivalent to the bird.

Handling anything communal with your left hand in the Mideast or Asia Minor is a good way not to get invited back. Ever. Your left hand was, historically, for cleaning your rear.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#276899 - 10/02/15 01:09 AM Re: What would you take? [Re: ATN]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Yeah, that's a way too wide question. My first thought after reading news all day was: is he going to join ISIS? laugh Seriously, typical volunteers are usually invited by those countries in need somehow and definitely not for just surviving off the land somewhere in a desolated desert with no people around. Almost certainly some survivable living conditions will be provided for them. So I would concentrate on:

1. Personal entertainment. For me that would be a decent tablet with plethora of software, games, ebooks, manuals, music, video, learning courses, podcasts collection, family photographs... But usually Internet is also available at least at some spots around, even deep in the Africa. But, perhaps, you might consider investing in a long range directed WiFi link extender. Make sure you know how to install it, and take it with you (there are models you don't have to hook to the base camp router, just arrange its powering with the owner of the base hotspot). Don't forget about the solar charger (7-40W) and a battery powerbank. Though, most likely you will have a normal power outlet in your shelter, - the power may not be readily available when you need it (e.g. in N.Korea the light is centrally turned off at night for energy conservation).

2. Personal health. I'd take all possible immunizations viable for the region beforehand. The SteriPen for water sterilization (entertainment charging solutions above will make it work indefinitely, just make sure you have at least 2 spare sets of rechargeable batteries for it) - mandatory in equatorial countries like India. Assemble a serious enough emergency FAK with trauma kit and chronic meds you need. Stock on multivitamins for the period. Get most durable outer clothes and footwear you can afford for the expected climate.

3. Making friends. Make your "entertainment kit" suitable for enjoyment by a small party (multiple game controllers, amplified audio, maybe stereo glasses or/and small DLP projector). Load it with information about the country you are visiting, including foreign language aids, some books, music, and movies in local languages if possible. Perhaps, you can master some locally popular board, table, or field game. Depending on the age of your gonna be friends, I'd bring a bunch of small but useful or entertaining gifts to give out. Tiny MP3 players with earphones, small multi tools, keychain flashlights, fishing lures, pocket games - what comes to mind. Perhaps, collectors items like post stamps, postcards, coins... If not directly for your friends - then for their children. Avoid USA symbolics on your gifts though, in many developing countries that might cause troubles if not for your then for your new friends (however, in some countries that could surely have a totally opposite effect to your benefit).

At any rate, learn the region's culture and needs. Perhaps, you could master a sustainable skill or two which are in high demand there, so you can trade it for some local amenities or obtain personal preferencies. Take with you all the necessary tools to efficiently practice them for locals.

#276902 - 10/02/15 06:21 AM Re: What would you take? [Re: Mark_R]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Trying to hitch a ride with your thumb in Russia, Mideast, or North Africa will probably get you run over.

I must vouch for Russia - hitchhiker's thumb-up is well known and respected there. Even though its original meaning is closer to "OK"/"Great" smile

#276906 - 10/02/15 04:07 PM Re: What would you take? [Re: Mark_R]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Handling anything communal with your left hand in the Mideast or Asia Minor is a good way not to get invited back. Ever. Your left hand was, historically, for cleaning your rear.

Not just historically. There are still lots of places on this planet where toilet paper is a scarce commodity. So you'd better bring your own personal supply unless you're completely comfortable with the old school alternative...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.