Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#276609 - 09/11/15 12:57 PM Re: <semi-rant> Dying of the dumbs [Re: Tjin]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Tjin
Automatic locking overhead storage bins (with obvious signs it's locked) during take off/landing? No more carry on bags?

Even if that is done, people will still get their bags under the seat.

Jeanette Isabelle

#276610 - 09/11/15 02:05 PM Re: <semi-rant> Dying of the dumbs [Re: Mark_R]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

As I do travel by commercial air frequently, and I am just the kind of person that thinks that way, I do prepare for what I would do in such an emergency.

My PSK and some supplemental items go in a fanny pack that I can wear and does not interfere with exiting the aircraft through an emergency exit (yes I have practiced it). I supplement the PSK with a Heat Sheet, 550 cord, flashlight and enhanced water purification capability.

I my under seat carry on is usually rain gear that I can put on if time permits before exiting the plane. I will also stuff my pockets with anything I can grab out of my carry on if there is time. When traveling I do tend to wear clothing with lots of pockets just for that purpose.

Yes I am crazy I guess, but I have gone down in 2 helicopters and 1 airplane (all on military operations). I am always thinking in terms of risk assessment and mitigation, even if I am just going to the corner store.

#276611 - 09/11/15 02:06 PM Re: <semi-rant> Dying of the dumbs [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: AKSAR

One of the best things someone could have done in that situation would be to have yelled as loudly and forcefully and aggressively as possible "YOU! ...LEAVE THE BAGS! ....GET OUT NOW!"

A very good notion. Would that not have been the function of one, or all, of the crew members? Of course, they well might have been settling into their own routines, having just finished the buckling seat belt pantomime....

When I fly these days, I always wear a vest of many pockets, stuffed full with EDC. That with my small backpack means I am in pretty decent shape.

A video of the exiting of the plane would be most edifying - something from which we could all learn.

#276612 - 09/11/15 02:10 PM Re: <semi-rant> Dying of the dumbs [Re: Tjin]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Originally Posted By: Tjin
Automatic locking overhead storage bins (with obvious signs it's locked) during take off/landing? No more carry on bags?

Probably cause some to linger longer trying to bust open the storage.

#276614 - 09/11/15 03:41 PM Re: <semi-rant> Dying of the dumbs [Re: Ren]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

And the mechanism would never, ever malfunction....

#276616 - 09/11/15 04:59 PM Re: <semi-rant> Dying of the dumbs [Re: Mark_R]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

Originally Posted By: Ren

Originally Posted By: hikermor

Where's the like icon in this forum?

Jeanette Isabelle

#276617 - 09/11/15 06:40 PM Re: <semi-rant> Dying of the dumbs [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Ren

Originally Posted By: hikermor

Where's the like icon in this forum?

Jeanette Isabelle

I did mend it as sarcastic hyperthetical recommendations...

#276618 - 09/11/15 08:08 PM Re: <semi-rant> Dying of the dumbs [Re: Tjin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Back to the OP:

Any time your options and actions are constrained by the actions and presence of a large number of anonymous strangers, you have ample cause for concern.

I hope someone is intensively evaluating this and other similar occurrences with a view to improving the final result. How does one improve passenger awareness and actions in an amergency? There must be lots of strategies....

#276619 - 09/11/15 09:00 PM Re: <semi-rant> Dying of the dumbs [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
This incident is ammunition for those who want to reduce or eliminate carry-on. I'm in the reduce camp. Purse, small attache', small back-pack -- eliminate overhead bins, carry-on would need to fit under the seat. I'm sure smarter peeps than me are considering options.

#276620 - 09/11/15 10:20 PM Re: <semi-rant> Dying of the dumbs [Re: Russ]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Russ
This incident is ammunition for those who want to reduce or eliminate carry-on. I'm in the reduce camp. Purse, small attache', small back-pack -- eliminate overhead bins, carry-on would need to fit under the seat. I'm sure smarter peeps than me are considering options.

I'll apologize in advance for this mini-rant: no offence to Russ intended---his post just made me think about this. smile

I've been flying internationally and domestically since 1966. What I have noticed is that carry-on luggage has increased in size, volume and importance as the wait times for and probability of loss of, checked baggage has increased to a point where it's "don't check anything you can't do without." Which translates to "any thing you don't need." So all the "I can't be without this" goes into carry-on. This is especially important to folks like me that cannot be without their medications.

Over the years, I've had checked bags go astray far too often.

During my recent (last month) trip to Europe, I carried in my carry-on enough insulin (2 different types, both of which need a cool pack to keep them cool so they don't go bad during an over 20 hour trip, not counting flight delays), needles, syringes, test meter, test strips, alcohol pads, and 5 bottles of prescription meds. Everything also had to have the original prescription containers: I've been challenged on this before both by TSA and local authorities. A fair amount of volume. And it does not include anything else I may feel I need to put in a carry-on, say to account for a difference in weather, e.g. a sweater, rain jacket, and a fresh shirt. And I'm not even considering the folks that also need a laptop etc. for work when they arrive. At least for me (still not counting a laptop) this will not fit under a seat; I've tried.

I'd love to put most of my meds in checked baggage, and only carry on board what I need for the trip (a lot less)! But reasonable caution and the airlines themselves say that this stuff needs to go in carry-on.

Most frequent travelers I know now try to avoid checking bags due to these problems, and travel only with carry-on bags.

IMO, before carry-ons can be banned/reduced, the airlines really need to get serious and solve the problems with checked baggage. Back in the day, you were pretty sure of getting your bag when you got off the plane in a reasonably short period of time. Now, not really.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 435 Guests and 189 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.