Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#276686 - 09/17/15 01:47 PM Re: <semi-rant> Dying of the dumbs [Re: Jolt]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Jolt

I know those were old photos…I was talking about the continued prevalence of things like pencil skirts, heels and pantyhose in flight attendant uniforms. What would be wrong with having all flight attendants wear pants and flat lace-up shoes, and just having the tops styled differently for men and women (and the men wear ties while the women wear scarves)?

At least this is an improvement (depending upon your perspective) from the old days when flight attendant (stewardess) job requirements were female, attractive, and single - no males need apply. Clothing was often skimpy.

If you want functional clothing, ditch both ties and scarves. They will just add to the burn hazard. I think I have seen cabin personnel in slacks and pants lately, which makes a lot of sense.

#276700 - 09/19/15 09:47 PM Re: <semi-rant> Dying of the dumbs [Re: hikermor]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Inside the box thinking, people. The fundamental issue with plane ingress and egress is the bottleneck at the hatch. The early aviators were clear about the need for rapid emergency dismount: note the lack of barriers on the Wright Flier:

We have simply gotten too far from the basics. An alternative would be a fuselage-length gull-wing door:

This is not a human behavior problem, this is an engineering problem.

#276758 - 09/22/15 05:41 PM Re: <semi-rant> Dying of the dumbs [Re: gonewiththewind]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Montanero
My bag does have trauma supplies such as tourniquets, compressed gauze and triangular bandages. They do not take up much room and are primarily focused on self aid, not dealing with a large number of casualties.

Your post made me think that I should improve my "in flight" kit, which right now is pretty minimal. I didn't think I could carry all that much useful stuff on me especially given TSA restrictions. So I was expecting to die in most situations of air disaster. I'm curious as to what you carry on the plane. This question is open to everyone.

#276759 - 09/22/15 09:34 PM Re: <semi-rant> Dying of the dumbs [Re: Mark_R]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You might have a problem with a scalpel and anything sharp, but I know of no other significant restrictions that would apply to a reasonable first aid kit. I have flown with my standard kit for years - mostly slanted toward traumatic injuries and CPR

#276760 - 09/22/15 09:57 PM Re: <semi-rant> Dying of the dumbs [Re: Bingley]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Your post made me think that I should improve my "in flight" kit, which right now is pretty minimal. I didn't think I could carry all that much useful stuff on me especially given TSA restrictions. So I was expecting to die in most situations of air disaster. I'm curious as to what you carry on the plane. This question is open to everyone.

*On body - Watch, wallet, keys, glasses, cell phone, wedding band, pill FOB, pocket light (Fenix E01 and/or LRI Photon Freedom Covert), BP pen, notebook.

*General - soft shackle (bracelet size) wound around jumbo bandanna, Hand santizer, Cell phone backup battery, Headphones, Sun glasses, Water bottle, Book, day planner, Food (sandwich, crackers/granola bar, cookie),Travel pillow(?) & earplugs, hygiene kit (toothbrush, toothpaste, deoderant, comb).

*Basic FAK (also in bag) with flight specific medications (various bandaids and wipes, pepto, gas-x, dramamine (Dimenhydrinate not Meclizine), ibuprofin, tums, moleskin)

*Travel emergencies kit (also in bag)- (sewing kit w/small scissors, glasses repair kit, duct tape, whistle, chlorine dioxide (aquamira) tablets, 550 cord, toothbrush, toothpaste, deoderant, comb)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#276763 - 09/22/15 10:25 PM Re: <semi-rant> Dying of the dumbs [Re: Mark_R]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

What I described is what I carry on the plane. I carry trauma shears for cutting, they are allowed.

I do not carry a large amount of these things, just enough to care for myself. I can't carry enough for an airplane full of people.

#276765 - 09/23/15 01:33 AM Re: <semi-rant> Dying of the dumbs [Re: Mark_R]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Alright, looking at your lists, I realized mine isn't that bad. I always have:

-- two light sources, plus one additional battery
-- small pry bar
-- whistle
-- charged cell phone battery (backup)
-- compass
-- seat belt cutter
-- Leatherman (w/o blade)
-- CPR mask
-- bandaids
-- meds
-- food bar
-- water (I get ripped off every time I fly)

Seems like I could easily add some stuff from Montanero's list. But the problem is that I carry that stuff in my carry on bag, not on my body. Maybe I should look into carrying it on my man bag or wearing a Scotte Vest.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 195 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.