Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#276495 - 09/01/15 11:05 PM Bowhunter says pistol, not bear spray, only option
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Thought some of you might appreciate the fellows multi layer preparedness.

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors/...grizzly-attack/

"Losinski said Adams is left-handed and had bear pepper spray on his left side, but couldn’t get to it during the attack. Losinski said Adams with his right hand was able to reach his handgun on his right side and fire shots that Adams told officials he thought struck the bear."

Edited by clearwater (09/01/15 11:11 PM)

#276503 - 09/02/15 02:35 AM Re: Bowhunter says pistol, not bear spray, only option [Re: clearwater]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Quote:
“He was doing off-hand shooting while being attacked by a bear,” Losinski said. “How accurate he may have been no one knows.”

If a bear is chewing on one arm, I don't think you need to be all that accurate.

#276504 - 09/02/15 02:53 AM Re: Bowhunter says pistol, not bear spray, only option [Re: clearwater]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

The article title is a little misleading. The hunter didn't claim pistol was better than bear spray for bear defense. In truth:

Quote:
Losinski said Adams is left-handed and had bear pepper spray on his left side, but couldn’t get to it during the attack. Losinski said Adams with his right hand was able to reach his handgun on his right side and fire shots that Adams told officials he thought struck the bear.

It appears to me that the hunter had planned on using the bear spray as his first defense, because he put it on his strong side. The pistol was the backup. In this case, he used the backup. Isn't there a saying: two is one, and one is none? I'm glad it worked out.

Edited by Bingley (09/02/15 02:53 AM)

#276505 - 09/02/15 06:29 AM Re: Bowhunter says pistol, not bear spray, only option [Re: clearwater]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
He also packed it in a way that would create redundancy.
As I see it, this case is not bear pepper spray vs gun. It´s about justifiying the use of the gun against an animal protected by the Endangered Species Act (no judgement from my side).

#276507 - 09/02/15 07:59 AM Re: Bowhunter says pistol, not bear spray, only option [Re: clearwater]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Wow, he really lucked out! Well, bad luck to be attacked but good luck to survive it. I hope the bear survived the wound and wasn't permanently disabled. The article makes it sound like it was just of "justified" on the bear's part give her knowledge of the situation and bear behavior.

#276519 - 09/02/15 10:56 PM Re: Bowhunter says pistol, not bear spray, only option [Re: clearwater]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Shot placement would be critical even at melee range with a 44 vs a mature grizzly. Even with the big Buffalo Bore loads I use (absolute maximum for my Super Redhawk), you'd still pretty much have to stick the muzzle into the bear's mouth or under his jaw and put it into his brain to positively stop an attack. Griz are tough.

#276521 - 09/02/15 11:37 PM Re: Bowhunter says pistol, not bear spray, only option [Re: clearwater]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Almost same story and only 24 hours later.

This bow hunter did not have a gun but he did seemingly manage to fend off the Grizzly attack with his bow.

John Lubbock

#276589 - 09/09/15 05:20 PM Re: Bowhunter says pistol, not bear spray, only option [Re: clearwater]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Carrying a few Bear Deterrents is a good Idea. I still like Bear Spray as it is None Lethal to "Everyone Concerned" including those who are being attacked by a Bear when you arrive on scene and it is an "Area Weapon" which means it works even if the Bear simple bites into it. Lastly if you put you rifle aside to clean your game, it not there when you get attacked by the a Bear attracted to Blood Scent.

In the end any weapon is better than no weapon, I just wont go hunting without my Bear spray!
boreal.net

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 281 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.