Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#276437 - 08/30/15 05:55 PM Re: Rendering roof runoff potable [Re: nursemike]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Interesting comments so far. But I have got to think that there are MANY places in the world where rainwater is still fresh and clean. I really can't imagine that all of the world's rainwater is "poison".

It makes sense that rain is "suspect" if you are downwind (in the path of storms) from major cities with air pollution and industrial pollution.

Rainwater has also been implicated as a potential danger after nuclear explosions (atmospheric), where there is radioactive fallout. For example, the types of tests that were done in Nevada (USA) back in the 1950's. This is because the fallout radiation gets on dust particles. The dust particles are lifted into the atmosphere, and they will be collected when raindrops are condensing in clouds. So scattered "high spots" of radioactivity can occur in the rainfall downwind of an atmospheric nuclear test.

But I would have to think that rain that falls on the coast, from clouds that formed over the ocean, is probably very clean. However - what happens when it falls on your roof, and then flows through the gutter ... that's a good question! Hahahaha!

This topic is not just "random" for me. There's a good chance that I will be moving to a remote location in the next 12 months. And it is very likely that I will be using rainwater as one source of fresh water for drinking and bathing.

Pete

Edited by Pete (08/30/15 06:01 PM)

#276441 - 08/30/15 06:33 PM Re: Rendering roof runoff potable [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I was out at dawn this morning cleaning my car windows (with the drought conditions here is SoCal i have not washed my vehicle in months). I believe that all the crud and dirt on the windows was deposited there by dew, no roof runoff, etc. I think I would boil before imbibing.

I an right on the coast,but rain reaches us from the west or northwest, and probably does pick up some pollution, but I imagine it is even worse further inland.

Edited by hikermor (08/30/15 09:40 PM)

#276443 - 08/30/15 08:30 PM Re: Rendering roof runoff potable [Re: nursemike]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
one passive "first water exclusion" system that I though was pretty well designed has several (depending on the height of your house) vertical stand pipes of large diameter 4" or so PVC connected to your eaves system...the pipes must fill first before the cascade overflow at the top then goes on to the next pipe then to storage totes... a clean out plug at the bottom allows removal of large debris not screened by the eaves, and left slightly ajar(or drilled with a small hole) to allow water to slowly drain from the stand pipe after the storm

#276444 - 08/30/15 09:28 PM Re: Rendering roof runoff potable [Re: LesSnyder]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
State rain water/ gray water harvesting regulation

Makes sense that the government should regulate rainwater collection, as they regulate private wells and public water supplies. OTOH, makes me wish that the patriarchs had added a "right to keep and drink rain water" amendment.

I have resolved not to think of rainwater as poison falling from the sky, but to re-conceptualize it as freely available water that requires no more purification than does the water from a mountain brook.

I call it the "rain barrel half-full" approach.

Lots of vendors out there, too, including a seller of bottled rainwater .

#276445 - 08/31/15 02:06 AM Re: Rendering roof runoff potable [Re: nursemike]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"I have resolved not to think of rainwater as poison falling from the sky, but to re-conceptualize it as freely available water that requires no more purification than does the water from a mountain brook."

Here's one simple thing that you could do.
and to be honest - I will probably do exactly the same thing.

Collect a gallon of rainwater - by whatever method you choose.
Clean a large saucepan - so that it is spic and span.
Pour the rainwater in the saucepan, and heat slowly on your stove.
Allow the water to boil away completely, and take a look at what is deposited on the surface of the saucepan.
That might be a simple place to start - to see how clean the rain is.

Let us know if you find anything. I am curious.

Pete

#276447 - 08/31/15 06:40 AM Re: Rendering roof runoff potable [Re: nursemike]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
That would show if dirt was in the water but it wouldn't show any chemical with a boiling point close to that of water.

#276448 - 08/31/15 02:25 PM Re: Rendering roof runoff potable [Re: nursemike]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Phaedrus - true.
It's not a perfect test. The results are very useful, but they don't tell you everything.

I'm open to the idea of other simple tests, or even a water testing kit. I wonder if there is such a thing (simple and inexpensive).

#276458 - 08/31/15 05:55 PM Re: Rendering roof runoff potable [Re: nursemike]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
There's also well water testing kits and home water purification systems if you intend to use it for drinking. Personally, I'd use it for filling the toilet tank during an outage, and landscape irrigation during normal times. Unless you live in an area with unreliable utilities and plenty of rainfall, I don't see breaking even on cost of a home water purification system.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#276476 - 09/01/15 03:41 AM Re: Rendering roof runoff potable [Re: nursemike]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i collect rain water from a downspout for garden use and later in the Fall i run 55 Gallon drums of it into 30 Gallon drums in the basement for Winter house plants.
a screen over the drum keeps out the hunks and chunks from the nearby trees and a few goldfish eat any bugs that might use the water to hatch in.

#276477 - 09/01/15 03:42 AM Re: Rendering roof runoff potable [Re: Mark_R]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Personally, I'd use it for filling the toilet tank during an outage, and landscape irrigation during normal times. Unless you live in an area with unreliable utilities and plenty of rainfall, I don't see breaking even on cost of a home water purification system.

Well said. The break even would depend on the alternative water system costs, and, except in USVI and Key West, selling a house that operates on rainwater harvesting might be tough.

OTOH Fresh water supplies are dwindling, demand is increasing, and the states surrounding the Great Lakes have formed a pact to prevent exporting lake water to other states. Infrastructure like water and sewer lines are deteriorating, and electric generation is becoming problematic due to disenchantment with atomic energy systems. Perhaps the home of the future will need to be self sufficient in water, sewer, and electrical service.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 341 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.