Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#276418 - 08/29/15 04:34 PM Re: 21st-Century Migrant’s Checklist [Re: Tjin]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Tjin
The checklist also needs to include money in a usuable form. Most illegal immigrants try not to get registered in southern european countries (due to the dublin regulation), but want to travel further. In that case you are own your own and need money for traveling, water, food, shelter, etc. A lot of them ran out of money rather quickly...

Some money in the proper currency surely helps. The smartphone also helps to acquire current information on actual policy and policy changes. In some countries the Dublin regulations are not enforced that rigidly. Even Germany announced that they will not bother to check migrants from certain countries. That might influence the decission whether and when ID papers should be "lost".

#276461 - 08/31/15 06:49 PM Re: 21st-Century Migrant’s Checklist [Re: M_a_x]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Smartphone is basically a computer. There are a plethora of usefull survival tools available in the app store. I'm keeping a huge library of survival books and articles on it. For connectivity without cell coverage - make sure you have the FireChat installed. It allows ad hock link to other FireChat members, which might help to create a communication mesh network if people are within a WiFi range of each other.

For the data storage and power - I will never ever buy a smartphone without SD card slot or without removable battery. However, I have this little thing on my EDC keychain: http://goo.gl/KJG8sv (eBay). It's a unique short flexible USB charging cable with integrated card reader, switchable to OTG mode. With it you can charge your phone from a USB port, use it as a USB flash drive (I have a 64Gb card in it), transfer files from the card to the phone and back (or just read it on the phone), as well as transfer files from the phone to the computer and back (sync cable).

It has survived 8 months (including a beach vacation, 3 camping trips, and 2 hiking trips so far) in my pockets with keys and other gear. Would recommend! Oh, and it's also a dim red flashlight.

Attachments
Micro-USB-cable-Multi-fuction-4-in-1-Data-Sync-2A-Power-Charging-OTG-Micro-SD.jpg

Edited by Alex (08/31/15 07:24 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 362 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.