The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#276358 - 08/25/15 08:32 PM 21st-Century Migrant’s Checklist
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
From time to time we've discussed migration as opposed to sheltering in place. Most of us would probably agree that in certain situations (major war, long term famine, etc) the only viable option may be to migrate to another country or continent. Current events provide numerous examples of where this is now happening.

The NY Times as an interesting article: 21st-Century Migrant’s Checklist: Water, Shelter, Smartphone . It seems that for those fleeing the wars in Syria, Afganistan, Iraq, and other regional catastrophes, a smartphone is an indispensable tool.

Quote:
BELGRADE, Serbia — The tens of thousands of migrants who have flooded into the Balkans in recent weeks need food, water and shelter, just like the millions displaced by war the world over. But there is also one other thing they swear they cannot live without: a smartphone charging station.

“Every time I go to a new country, I buy a SIM card and activate the Internet and download the map to locate myself,” Osama Aljasem, a 32-year-old music teacher from Deir al-Zour in Syria, explained as he sat on a broken park bench in Belgrade, staring at his smartphone and plotting his next move into northern Europe.
------------snip-------------------
Technology has transformed this 21st-century version of a refugee crisis, not least by making it easier for millions more people to move. It has intensified the pressures on routes that prove successful — like this one through the Balkans, where the United Nations said Tuesday that about 3,000 people a day continued to cross the border from Greece into Macedonia.

In this modern migration, smartphone maps, global positioning apps, social media and WhatsApp have become essential tools.

Migrants depend on them to post real-time updates about routes, arrests, border guard movements and transport, as well as places to stay and prices, all the while keeping in touch with family and friends.

Traffickers use Facebook to advertise their services, but Facebook also started to cut into the traffickers business, as many migrants realize they can make the trip successfully on their own, with the help of a smartphone.
Quote:
Traffickers advertise their services on Facebook like any legitimate travel agency, with dynamic photographs of destination cities and generous offers.

On the Arabic-language Facebook group Trafficking to Europe, one trafficker offers a 50 percent discount for children under 5. The 1,700 euro price of the journey from Istanbul to Thessaloniki, Greece, about $1,900, includes travel by car to and from each side of the border with a two-hour walk across.
-----------snip----------
“Right now the traffickers are losing business because people are going alone, thanks to Facebook,” said Mohamed Haj Ali, 38, who works with the Adventist Development and Relief Agency in Belgrade, Serbia’s capital — a major stopover for migrants.
---------------snip----------
But as tens of thousands completed their journeys, they shared their experiences on social media — even the precise GPS coordinates of every stop along their routes, recorded automatically by some smartphones.

Edited by AKSAR (08/25/15 08:34 PM)

#276360 - 08/26/15 12:13 AM Re: 21st-Century Migrant’s Checklist [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Even an old lunker like me is learning how indispensable a smartphone can be. But please explain - why is it called a "phone"? Mine is more like a computer enhanced camera with which I can make phone calls and send texts, calculate, etc. among many other useful functions.....and my phone is a lot smarter than I am....

I am in the midst of planning a two week project on which our phone connection will be marginal, at best on a good day. The inability to send texts, pits, etc. from the dig site to interested colleagues and supporters is a real problem.

How did we ever survive in the old days?

Either sheltering in place or migrating, I want my phone, and the ability to keep it charged, with me always.

#276362 - 08/26/15 07:04 AM Re: 21st-Century Migrant’s Checklist [Re: AKSAR]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

The checklist also needs to include money in a usuable form. Most illegal immigrants try not to get registered in southern european countries (due to the dublin regulation), but want to travel further. In that case you are own your own and need money for traveling, water, food, shelter, etc. A lot of them ran out of money rather quickly...

Anyways as for the smartphone, it's a great tool. However people should be aware of the internet and knowing what the limitations are. Not knowing the local lauguages and trying to use translation and hearsay, combined with people trying to rip you off can lead to lots of wrong information.

And make sure you can plug it in or have another charge option.

#276366 - 08/27/15 12:14 AM Re: 21st-Century Migrant’s Checklist [Re: AKSAR]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Buy the biggest capacity microsd card you can find and load it up with as much data as you can. This lets you have some necessary information available for when you don't have internet.
I have house power to USB, car to USB, an external backup battery, solar panel, etc.

#276371 - 08/27/15 11:54 AM Re: 21st-Century Migrant’s Checklist [Re: Eugene]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Buy the biggest capacity microsd card you can find and load it up with as much data as you can. This lets you have some necessary information available for when you don't have internet.

The trend in phones seems to be to do away with the microsd card slot. For various reasons, I find this a bad thing.

But I also found a work around: some smartphones will host a USB "thumb" drive via their own usb port. You need to use a small adapter cable called an "OTG" cable.

Not all phones will do this; it seems that most of the later versions of Android will do it. In some cases, the phone will require the installation of an app, but my Samsung Galaxy S3 handles it just fine with its standard software, Android 4.3

Having this available both gives you backup and also lets you conserve memory on your phone if it is limited by not having an sd card slot.

#276372 - 08/27/15 12:22 PM Re: 21st-Century Migrant’s Checklist [Re: bws48]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Smartphones are undoubtedly useful to present day migrants who are fleeing various disasters in the developing world and hoping to settle in more prosperous regions.

I do not however feel that this is of much relevance to those already IN the more prosperous or more developed countries, presumably including most members of these forums.

I cant foresee large numbers wanting to flee say the USA except in the case of an extreme TEOTWAWKI event such as might be caused by a devastating natural or man made disaster.
In such circumstances it seems unlikely that cellphone service would be available.

#276373 - 08/27/15 01:04 PM Re: 21st-Century Migrant’s Checklist [Re: AKSAR]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

The effected area after a disaster is generally pretty small. Even with nuclaire disaster, the exclusion zone is only 20km (Fukushima) or 30km (Chernobyl). The 2004 Tsunami only reached 2km inland. So cell service might not be that far away.

War, flooding, hurricans, typoons will have bigger effected areas, but you can see them coming. Having rapid information (be it early warning, traffic information or just satnav) might be the key to get out quicker, and make it far easier to figure things out outside the effected area. A smartphone is a pretty good tool for that.

#276374 - 08/27/15 03:43 PM Re: 21st-Century Migrant’s Checklist [Re: Tjin]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Originally Posted By: Tjin
The effected area after a disaster is generally pretty small. Even with nuclaire disaster, the exclusion zone is only 20km (Fukushima) or 30km (Chernobyl). The 2004 Tsunami only reached 2km inland. So cell service might not be that far away.

War, flooding, hurricans, typoons will have bigger effected areas, but you can see them coming. Having rapid information (be it early warning, traffic information or just satnav) might be the key to get out quicker, and make it far easier to figure things out outside the effected area. A smartphone is a pretty good tool for that.

Agree, but IMHO most of the events to which you refer might more properly be called evacuations rather than migration.

MIGRANTS are at present leaving North Africa in large numbers in the hope of a new life in Northern Europe. Most hope or expect to settle permanently.

EVACUEES have fled from hurricane Katrina, or superstorm Sandy, most moved relatively modest distances and returned to the area from which they had evacuated when the emergency was over.

A smartphone could be most useful in case of an evacuation in say the USA*, if however things had got so bad that significant numbers were migrating from the USA* then that suggests TEOTWAWKI with no cell phone service.

*or other developed and relatively prosperous nation.

#276376 - 08/27/15 05:10 PM Re: 21st-Century Migrant’s Checklist [Re: bws48]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: bws48
Originally Posted By: Eugene

The trend in phones seems to be to do away with the microsd card slot. For various reasons, I find this a bad thing.

But I also found a work around: some smartphones will host a USB "thumb" drive via their own usb port. You need to use a small adapter cable called an "OTG" cable.

Not all phones will do this; it seems that most of the later versions of Android will do it. In some cases, the phone will require the installation of an app, but my Samsung Galaxy S3 handles it just fine with its standard software, Android 4.3

Having this available both gives you backup and also lets you conserve memory on your phone if it is limited by not having an sd card slot.

The trend seems to be to include OTG capabilities on the more expensive smart phones and tablets. The mid/lower end smart phones and tablets usually don't have that capability.

This is also a walking (no pun intended) advertisement for solar chargers.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#276388 - 08/27/15 11:46 PM Re: 21st-Century Migrant’s Checklist [Re: AKSAR]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Depends on the os version not price. But yes, I have both a slot and a OTG cable. But then I also have my own network sync server as well smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 184 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.