Topic Options
#276331 - 08/23/15 05:57 PM British tourist in AUS saved: "HELP" in Sand
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#276332 - 08/23/15 06:20 PM Re: British tourist in AUS saved: "HELP" in Sand [Re: Doug_Ritter]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Brings immediately to mind a Gary Larson cartoon whose caption reads more or less "Nope, it says HELF - guess they are OK."

As almost always in accounts of this nature, there are intriguing and pertinent omissions. A two day trip and he was already "overdue"... Who or what triggered the SAR process? Why no shoes?

It seems like a full blown SAR operation erupted overnight. They are certainly prompt to respond down under.

#276352 - 08/25/15 03:50 AM Re: British tourist in AUS saved: "HELP" in Sand [Re: hikermor]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: hikermor
It seems like a full blown SAR operation erupted overnight. They are certainly prompt to respond down under.

No faster than anywhere else !
He must have been camping with other people and perhaps he just "went for a quick walk". That would explain why the alarm was raised, and perhaps why no shoes etc

(For some reason quite a lot of people like to go bare foot ... In some places it is quite wet with lots of water to cross, plus it can be hot and humid although no so much this time of year)

As for the swimming, the Jardine River is prime croc country !

#276357 - 08/25/15 06:29 PM Re: British tourist in AUS saved: "HELP" in Sand [Re: Aussie]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

The reason I commented was because an $800,000 cost seems pretty steep for a 48 hour operation. Of course, helos ain't cheap and if you truly figured all the actual costs, maybe not so surprising....

#276361 - 08/26/15 01:45 AM Re: British tourist in AUS saved: "HELP" in Sand [Re: hikermor]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: hikermor
The reason I commented was because an $800,000 cost seems pretty steep for a 48 hour operation. Of course, helos ain't cheap and if you truly figured all the actual costs, maybe not so surprising....

$100,000 for the search and $700,000 for the beer ?

#276378 - 08/27/15 05:44 PM Re: British tourist in AUS saved: "HELP" in Sand [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
I wrote all below before discovering that he has blogged -- in great detail -- about his mishap and the SAR. So in his own words, with much more detail and photos than articles contain, here's his blog:

http://motopangaea.com

Fortunate fellow. According to the article, he's in the midst of an epic around-the-world journey, by motorcycle.

"...The 63-year-old is currently on a around-the-world motorbike journey, and has already made his way across Europe, Russia, China, Japan and New Zealand."

Coincidentally, just before seeing this thread I was checking the battery level on my Garmin 401 -- which would prevented this guy's drama. Rudimentary GPS (no maps), tremendous battery life (15 hours on two AAA batteries) and that's why I like it. Mark your starting point and the 401 leaves breadcrumbs, as well as all the other data you need to navigate. Seems like a smart tool to always have on hand when on the journey he is.

That guy was in an extremely remote area to be traipsing off into the woods without shoes and end up 12 km from his starting point. Other than not having food or shoes the article did not go into detail about what, if anything, he did have which could have aided survival.

Just saw this in another article: He had gone swimming and then decided to cut across the forest (bush) as a shortcut. Hence, no shoes.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/23/the-writing-in-the-sand-that-saved-british-guys-life-5356378/

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/news/i-could-have-died-but-42168/

"The retired AA mechanic ran into trouble after he went swimming to visit a waterfall and realised he could not find his way back to his camp.

"...he was camping with two families while exploring the Old Telegraph Track - a popu
lar tourist spot

#276379 - 08/27/15 07:01 PM Re: British tourist in AUS saved: "HELP" in Sand [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have the Garmin Foretrex 301 which is ideal as a back-up GPS. No compass or barometer/altimeter as in the 401, just basic GPS with Garmin's high sensitivity receiver. Both of the Foretrex models are available online at Garmin's Outlet store Garmin Foretrex
No affiliation.

#276383 - 08/27/15 08:35 PM Re: British tourist in AUS saved: "HELP" in Sand [Re: Dagny]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Thanks, Dagny - great find - an very candid and refreshing account of how this stuff happens. Maps are crucial and for me at least, wet suit booties or something similar when dabbling in the water.

I am more basic in my Gamin receivers - I have carried a Garmin 101 for years. It is perfectly adequate, especially with a decent paper map...

#276384 - 08/27/15 09:00 PM Re: British tourist in AUS saved: "HELP" in Sand [Re: Russ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Russ
I have the Garmin Foretrex 301 which is ideal as a back-up GPS. No compass or barometer/altimeter as in the 401, just basic GPS with Garmin's high sensitivity receiver. Both of the Foretrex models are available online at Garmin's Outlet store Garmin Foretrex
No affiliation.

Like Hikermor, I started out with the 101. Got the 401 a couple years ago because it is a bit smaller.

Love the price point, battery life and simple interface on all three models. I wonder if Garmin will do another model at some point, been awhile.

One disappointment: I can't get my 401 to upload to my online Garmin Connect account, like it is supposed to.

#276385 - 08/27/15 09:39 PM Re: British tourist in AUS saved: "HELP" in Sand [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If by 101 you mean Garmin's Geko 101, I bought the 301 version of that one which has the electronic compass and baro altimeter. Mostly it's a basic GPS, but it has the sensor upgrades like Dagny's Foretrex 401. They're all good. Really I got the Geko 301 because it was gray rather than the lime green or yellow of the other two wink

I tend to use the small, simple GPS receivers more than the larger mapping receivers. All I really want is a hint as to which direction the car is parked. It's rare I get that turned around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.