The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#276185 - 08/11/15 07:52 PM Re: It's that time of year again... [Re: hikermor]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I don't think it was the dry heat so much as the energy expenditure from walking in deep sand and overheating from the direct sun.

From personal experience, I've found that the dry heat of the desert Southwest and eastern Columbia River Gorge is much easier to tolerate then the hot and humid climate found in south Florida. Provided, of course, that I have some shade. At 100+F in direct sun, it's like wearing my backpacking pack.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#276217 - 08/15/15 07:01 AM Re: It's that time of year again... [Re: Mark_R]
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
I find that high heat and high humidity really contribute dehydration, hyperthermia and other heat illnesses. But I suspect that dry heat may dehydrate just as rapidly but more subtly, since it evaporates more quickly and doesn't leave you feeling as obviously damp and sweaty. This may be more misleading, and therefore more dangerous.

#276226 - 08/15/15 02:49 PM Re: It's that time of year again... [Re: JeffMc]
Doug_Ritter Online   happy

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: JeffMc
I find that high heat and high humidity really contribute dehydration, hyperthermia and other heat illnesses. But I suspect that dry heat may dehydrate just as rapidly but more subtly, since it evaporates more quickly and doesn't leave you feeling as obviously damp and sweaty. This may be more misleading, and therefore more dangerous.

You done gone and broke the code. :-)
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#276229 - 08/15/15 08:25 PM Re: It's that time of year again... [Re: JeffMc]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
To make a further contribution to what is clearly becoming a heated discussion - the heat loss from your evaporating sweat is cooling you down and therefore aiding your survival. But the process has its limits. As the temperature rises (in my experience, somewhere above 104F or so in a low humidity situation) you had better curtail activity and stop generating heat.

We probably should distinguish between the effects of heat and those of dehydration, which can be insidiously fatal at surprisingly low temperatures.

#276232 - 08/16/15 12:25 AM Re: It's that time of year again... [Re: hikermor]
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: hikermor
... We probably should distinguish between the effects of heat and those of dehydration, which can be insidiously fatal at surprisingly low temperatures.

You're right.

A simple, easy medical test for dehydration is to take a pinch of skin from the back of the hand or wrist between your thumb and forefinger and lift it up from the surface. If the skin remains tented up above surrounding skin level instead of immediately returning to level, then the patient is dehydrated.

The real secret to managing dehydration is prevention. Drinking water upon waking and again before starting the day's heat exposure activities, and being encouraged to drink at regular intervals throughout the day, will help. Gatorade or other sports drinks often popular, but are really no better than water. Given a normal diet, neither sports drinks nor salt tablets are usually necessary. However, some people do eventually get tired of having to drink plain water, so some sort of flavoring can help them to maintain adequate fluid intake.

Also, one of the simplest and most effective interventions for mild hyperthermia or uncomplicated heat stress is to have the patient immerse their hands and forearms into a bucket of tepid water. This technique has been clinically validated, and is quick and convenient, since all you need is water and a bucket, no icepacks, no towels, no fans, etc. It's also easier to get some people, especially the Type-A's, to do that than to get them to lie down with ice packs or cold damp towels applied to their groin, armpits and neck, or accept other interventions.

#276365 - 08/26/15 04:46 PM Re: It's that time of year again... [Re: hikermor]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Water may be bulky, but it keeps us alive!
boreal.net

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (chaosmagnet, Doug_Ritter), 176 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by brandtb
41 minutes 55 seconds ago
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.