Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#276249 - 08/18/15 03:30 AM Re: Pre-made tool kit or build your own? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

As I read your input, I started realizing that the underlying question is what do I want in a tool kit, and how organized I want it? I have boxes of various tools. I guess if I'm willing to challenge my OCD and risk not having everything neatly organized in a plastic box, it's just a matter of selecting the right list of tools and calling it a tool kit. Then it's just a matter of finding the right tool bag.

So what's your favorite tool bag? laugh

#276250 - 08/18/15 02:32 PM Re: Pre-made tool kit or build your own? [Re: Bingley]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I don't have a favorite. The one I have is made by Voyager, which I bought at Harbor Freight Tools. It seems durable, as a tool bag should be. I had this just a little more than a year so the jury is still out. It replaced what I was using prior as a tool box.

Jeanette Isabelle

#276251 - 08/18/15 03:11 PM Re: Pre-made tool kit or build your own? [Re: Bingley]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I don't like bags, but prefer a toolbox my self. I use a Stanley 23" one, with wide metal closures. You can sit/stand on it, the tool tray does not take up the full width, allowing cans (WD40, silicone, grease, etc) to be on stored on one side and there is a slot at the top for a carrying a level (or other long things) and it can be use to hold things you cut.

Due to the square shape, also easy to stack with other stuff.

#276253 - 08/18/15 04:30 PM Re: Pre-made tool kit or build your own? [Re: Bingley]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
The perfect bag/box shape for the tool set will depend on how you plan to haul/store it. Mine is relatively flat on purpose, so I could quickly stuff it into side pockets of my various daily activity carry bags (car camping chest, scuba duffel, astronomy bag, IT rescuer wheeler, bicycle side bag, as well as to insert it into the special shelf opening in my work table at home.

By the way, a grab and go tool set should always have a minimal collection of materials as well, i.e. assorted screws, nuts, washers, wires, gaskets, ties, hot glue sticks, epoxy, glue, tape e.t.c. I'm also carrying some electronics components for rigging something more sophisticated when necessary (relays, voltage regulators, resistors, capacitors...).

Also, when the space permitting, I'm stuffing my box with the attachments/blades from older tools (like damaged screwdriver blades, chisels, razor blades). Using a torch and files you can make many specific to the task pointed tools or HD fasteners out of them in the field.

#276259 - 08/18/15 08:38 PM Re: Pre-made tool kit or build your own? [Re: Bingley]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Good range of responses. As a former professional mechanic I have an extensive collection of SAE, Metric and BA/BS tools, mostly Snap-on with some Mac, some Proto, some Craftsmen and some few others.

I learned early on that poor quality tools are a PITA and just failing is the least of the problems. When you round a nut or bolt, etc., it can create a far bigger problem for you.

I am definitely not in the get it when you need it camp with the exception of oddball tools you only end up needing once in a blue moon. It sucks when you need to fix something RIGHT NOW and don't have the tool needed. Yes, sometimes, perhaps most times, you can manage, but the right tool almost always makes the job easier and lessens the chance of damage to what you are working on or to your person, or other problems.

For my travel/grab and go kit I have mostly Craftsman, SK, Stanly and Channel Lock tools and they work just fine. Some were acquired when there were sales on sets of particular tools (screwdrivers, wrenches, etc), many were bought at various estate sales. I carry them in either a canvas tool bag (modest kit) or a Craftsman 2-drawer portable toolbox (much more extensive).

Sales are your friend, never pay full retail. But, my biggest bargains have been found at estate sales. Get there early and grab the best for usually very cheap. I stopped looking for tools at most yard sales since I rarely found anything worthwhile, but estate sales have been gold over the years, especially non-professional ones.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#276261 - 08/18/15 09:19 PM Re: Pre-made tool kit or build your own? [Re: Bingley]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Bingley
As I read your input, I started realizing that the underlying question is what do I want in a tool kit, and how organized I want it? .....

This is the key question. Do you plan to rebuild the engine on your SUV? Or maybe just change an O-ring on your backpacking stove? Different tasks may require very different tools. So first figure out what it is you plan to use these tools for?

Regarding what to keep them in, again it depends. At home I have two tool boxes on my work bench in my garage. One is a 2 drawer Craftsman mechanics tool box with my mechanical tools in it. Another Craftsman tool box has most of my carpentry tools. A few of the most frequently used items such as screwdrivers, pliers, crescent wrenches, etc are hanging on the peg board above the workbench.

However on my boat I find a tool bag works better. Boats usually are cramped for storage space, and those storage spaces are often very oddly shaped. A tool bag seems to fit most easily there. Also, the tools don't rattle so much as the boat rocks and rolls.

While generally I agree that one should buy quality tools, there are cases when cheaper "beater" tools might be the best choice. So in my cars I keep a small selection of not so expensive tools. Given the complexity of newer vehicles, I don't expect to be doing any major roadside repairs. A few simple cheap tools are adequate for most things I might do along the road. If someone breaks into my car and takes the tools, it is far less painful if it is a bunch of cheaper tools (worth a few 10's of $$) rather than a nice set of high quality Craftsman tools worth hundreds of dollars.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.