The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#276208 - 08/14/15 03:17 PM Magnesium block firestarters
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I haven't seen this discussed but even so it might bear repeating.

The Harbor Freight $3 magnesium fire starter blocks have magnesium that cannot be lit!

I saw a demo on You Tube last weekend and decided to test for myself.

I used a file to create very fine shavings off the block. I had a nice little pile the size of a quarter.

They could not be started with sparks either from the HF block or from the mil-spec Doan block I also have.

So to all intents and purposes, the alleged magnesium of the HF block is just a means of holding the firesteel.

I'll be swapping out the HF products in my get home bag immediately.

Also of note- using the mag block to actually get a fire going isn't as easy as one would think from the directions. I've been practicing this recently and it's almos more trouble than it's worth to scrape the magnesium flakes off the block. Other good tinder in your kit would be easier to use.

#276210 - 08/14/15 07:12 PM Re: Magnesium block firestarters [Re: unimogbert]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Even if you got the magnesium shavings to ignite, they are a flash tinder which means you need a secondary tinder that burns longer so that you can ignite your fuel. I gave up on the mag bars years ago; you are right most of them are no better than ferro rod holders and 1/2 the time they don't even do that properly. Its a small ferro rod that is glued into place and has been know to get lost -- one of my Coughlans mag bars did that.

#276214 - 08/15/15 04:34 AM Re: Magnesium block firestartersharborfreightwheel [Re: unimogbert]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: unimogbert

The Harbor Freight $3 magnesium fire starter blocks have magnesium that cannot be lit!...

Yup, they're hard to use ... I made magnesium dust and it stuck all over my hands ... the sparks are also hard to aim/throw... I couldn't make it work with provided scraper
But I bought one to make a jumbo sparklite smile

Which one did you buy? I got the shinier one

slightly smaller slightly darker 69457
slightly bigger slightly shinier 66560

▶ Harbor Freight Magnesium Bar Fire Starter - louisianahiker
▶ Harbor Freight Magnesium Fire Starter. - MrJustDIY
▶ Magnesium Firestarter Tips and Tricks - camick99
▶ Magnesium Fire Starter Shoot Out - Wingman115
▶ Harbor Freight Magnesium Fire Starter = Win!! - josh carter
▶ HARBOR FREIGHT magnesium fire starter - onyxz007
▶ Magnesium Firestarter Tips and Tricks - camick99

junglecrafty firesteels-are-they-overrated
woodtrekker Ferro Rod vs. BIC Lighter

#276215 - 08/15/15 06:46 AM Re: Magnesium block firestarters [Re: unimogbert]
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: unimogbert

The Harbor Freight $3 magnesium fire starter blocks have magnesium that cannot be lit!

Thanks for the warning. I happened to have impulse-bought a HF Mg block displayed at checkout not too long ago, so I'll put it to the test.

Years ago, I found that scraping off shavings with a blade worked better for me than a rasp. I also found that scraping onto a flattened loop of sticky-side-out duct tape reduced scrapings being blown away and seemed to support combustion.

#276221 - 08/15/15 09:00 AM Re: Magnesium block firestarters [Re: unimogbert]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'll readily admit it could be my lack of technique but even the better mag starters are useless to me. Mg burns very hot but you need to get the shavings fairly fine to light them, and then they burn near-instantaneously. I have never managed to get a fire going with it even in good conditions. And while I know it can be done, the question for me is why I'd ever try it when there are much better options that take about the same space.

#276223 - 08/15/15 09:07 AM Re: Magnesium block firestarters [Re: unimogbert]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Interesting to see that I'm not the only one who's has little luck with magnesium block fire starters. I always thought the basic concept was sound but for some reason it just doesn't seem to be working in real life. Unless you have good tinder in the first place the magnesium shavings don't help much at all. I can get a fire going much faster with a good ferro rod and decent tinder.

#276227 - 08/15/15 03:26 PM Re: Magnesium block firestarters [Re: unimogbert]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

The secrets to using a magnesium for tinder is edges or fine powder.

"Chunks" don't catch sparks well. When you "shave" a block with a sharp edge (e.g. knife), you tend to get fine edges which can catch a spark. Alternatively, you need very fine powder.

Not my favorite tinder....

As others here have noted, using some duct tape to catch and hold the shavings works better. And, as noted, you better have some good secondary tinder to be lit by the flash fire from the magnesium. Finally, however much you think you need, shave off 3X more.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#276230 - 08/15/15 08:37 PM Re: Magnesium block firestarters [Re: Roarmeister]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My magnesium block gadgets are quietly gathering dust deep in my storage area and probably thereby degrading their effectiveness, such as it is. I am comfortable with the tinder I have been able to gather in the woods and/or dryer lint/vaseline, ignited by good dry matches or a Bic lighter. If fire is really critical, I will carry some variety or another of petro fuel and stove, with redundant ignition methods.

#276233 - 08/16/15 12:39 AM Re: Magnesium block firestarters [Re: hikermor]
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
I was making up some wax-soaked cotton balls for fire starting, so I also picked up some flat, round cotton disks that were meant for make-up wipes and were on the store shelf next to the cotton balls, and soaked those in wax, too. A stack of them stores neatly in a cleaned out cat food can.

#276234 - 08/16/15 02:55 AM Re: Magnesium block firestarters [Re: unimogbert]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
The Harbor Freight one wouldn't even light.Not sure of the stock number as I disposed of the packaging. I consider the HF product to be gross misrepresentation (thus my warning).

The Doan brand I've been playing with the mag flakes scraped by knife would light but of course had the other problems of being so light as to want to blow away. I've been working on techniques for getting the most out of them. (like using pine resin blobs and dry grass tinder on a piece of bark)

Of course real tinder like cotton balls in vaseline and crumpled paper and so forth work much better.

I also carry waterproof matches with tinder as well as a butane lighter when I'm hiking. When you really, really need a fire there is no payback for style points.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.