Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#276188 - 08/12/15 06:37 AM Did Russian pilots get a new signal mirror?
rafowell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern California
I spotted this article this week about the pilot's equipment for the latest Russian aircraft:
http://sputniknews.com/military/20150809/1025554827.html

It includes a description of the survival kit:

"The survival pack contains a pan, antenna, signal mirror, 16 cubes of sugar, first aid kit, two match boxes, a signal pistol with charges, 1.5-liter bottle of water, machete knife, radio beacon, and portable radio."

Monomaniac that I am, what I want to know is ... is this the classic Russian Air Force signal mirror[1], or something new?

[1] Double-sided 2"x3" double-sided metal mirror with dedicated hinged plastic flap to catch the light coming through the hole, instructions on outside of plastic flap.
Photo gallery of classic mirror here:
http://fusiongear.com.au/soviet-air-force-pilot-metal-emergency-survival-signal-mirror-p-174.html
[2] Another photo gallery of this type of signal mirror:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/227723954/signal-mirror-jeliograph
[3] Same mirror in Soyuz cosmonaut survival kit:
http://suzymchale.com/ruspace/soysurvive.html

Edited by rafowell (08/12/15 06:43 AM)

#276189 - 08/12/15 07:52 AM Re: Did Russian pilots get a new signal mirror? [Re: rafowell]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Interesting! First I'd heard of it, but if anyone could find out it's you! grin

#276193 - 08/13/15 05:48 AM Re: Did Russian pilots get a new signal mirror? [Re: rafowell]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I'd love to see the survival rifle/ shotgun/flare gun combo described in the article .

#276224 - 08/15/15 09:18 AM Re: Did Russian pilots get a new signal mirror? [Re: rafowell]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

I'm not sure I like that design all that much. It looks pretty heavy and bulky for an item that generally sees very little use. There are much slimmer signal mirrors on the market and they work just fine.

As far as the survival machete included in that kit, it is pretty much a gimmick IMHO. It looks kind of cool but just doesn't do very well at any particular task it was supposedly designed for. I'd much prefer a more conventional machete or kukri.

#276231 - 08/15/15 08:54 PM Re: Did Russian pilots get a new signal mirror? [Re: Tom_L]
rafowell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Tom_L
I'm not sure I like that design all that much. It looks pretty heavy and bulky for an item that generally sees very little use. ...

I agree there are better designs.

The standard small Russian steel signal mirror (a bit) bulkier and nearly twice as heavy as a 2"x3" glass mirror.

I've used the standard 2"x3" Russian double-sided steel signal mirror with the hinged plastic screen that is standard in Russian survival kits, and it certainly isn't my first choice in that size category. The stereotype is that the Russians place an emphasis on high robustness, and this mirror scores well there - the steel plate is 0.06" thick.

I concur with the USAF choice - a 2"x3" glass mirror with a retroreflective mesh aimer, like the MIL-M-18371E the USAF issues to their pilots, or the commercial equivalent (Coghlan's 9902).

The advantages of the 2"x3" glass over the 2"x3" steel are
  • The retroreflective aiming method is much easier to use than the double-sided mirror method.
  • Stronger flash signal because glass mirrors are more reflective than metal.
  • Better scratch resistance.
  • Lighter than the Russian mirror (54% as heavy[1]

The nice thing about the Russian mirror vs. other 2"x3" double-sided steel signal mirrors is the hinged flap which lets you use the double-sided mirror technique one-handed at all angles, provides scratch protection for the rear surface, and holds instructions. These mirrors are issued in sealed transparent plastic bags for further scratch protection - I have 3"x5" examples from lifeboat kits for oceangoing vessels (in the 3"x5" size).

[1] Weights of three 2"x3" class mirrors in protective packaging:
  • Russian hinged steel mirror: 28/8 oz (3.5 oz) in sealed plastic pouch.
  • Coghlan's 9902 2"x3" glass mirror: 15/8 oz (1 7/8 oz) in foam case.
  • SOL Rescue Flash polycarbonate mirror: 7/8 oz in retail blister pack after excess cardboard cut down to reduce bulk.

#276235 - 08/16/15 06:45 AM Re: Did Russian pilots get a new signal mirror? [Re: acropolis5]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: acropolis5
I'd love to see the survival rifle/ shotgun/flare gun combo described in the article .

There is no more such a combo in the kit to my knowledge. It's a simple flare gun. You are probably referring to this "Space Gun": http://topwar.ru/36621-oruzhie-vyzhivaniya-kosmonavtov-pistolet-tp-82.html (in russian but easily translated by google). Those are for space crews only and no longer manufactured.

Regarding the new mirror... I doubt it's something special. I wouldn't be even surprised if that's a cheap retroreflective polycarbonate piece, made in China.

#276236 - 08/16/15 06:53 AM Re: Did Russian pilots get a new signal mirror? [Re: rafowell]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: rafowell

[3] Same mirror in Soyuz cosmonaut survival kit:
http://suzymchale.com/ruspace/soysurvive.html

Wow, Suzy's website is getting worldwide recognition! Glad to see that. She is a friend of mine from Australia. I've been helping her building that website more than 10 years ago. She is a true fan of Russian space program. I believe only CIA might have a better information database on the subject in English smile

#276356 - 08/25/15 05:54 PM Re: Did Russian pilots get a new signal mirror? [Re: rafowell]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Great 1960's Kit!
boreal.net

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 379 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.