Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#275929 - 07/24/15 04:21 PM Additions to commercial 3 day packs
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What changes would you make to the standard, off the shelf 3 day post earthquake packs?

#275930 - 07/24/15 04:41 PM Re: Additions to commercial 3 day packs [Re: TeacherRO]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
What does one have?

#275931 - 07/24/15 04:44 PM Re: Additions to commercial 3 day packs [Re: TeacherRO]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Before I can answer, let me ask, why an off-the-shelf kit? You, better than anyone else, know what you need.

Jeanette Isabelle

#275936 - 07/24/15 05:47 PM Re: Additions to commercial 3 day packs [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Lets use the "Grab 'N Go Three-Day Two-Person Emergency Kit with backpack ( $30.47 from WalMart) by readyamerica

Includes:
Backpack
Food and water ( unspecified amounts)
Emergency blankets
First aid kit
Two 12-hour safety light sticks
Dust masks
Nitrile gloves
Emergency whistle
Emergency ponchos and pocket tissues
10 cotton tip applicators

not this one http://www.walmart.com/ip/Life-Gear-Life-Essentials-3-Day-Emergency-Survival-Kit/14521518

#275937 - 07/24/15 06:54 PM Re: Additions to commercial 3 day packs [Re: TeacherRO]
Carpal Tunnel

This one?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Grab-N-Go-3-Day-2-Person-Emergency-Kit-with-Backpack/10910697

One water box per person per day is not enough. You need a minimum of four.

I would not rely on that first aid kit for such an emergency. If I had to rely on that emergency kit, I would supplement it with a better first aid kit. The following is one of the first aid kits I own.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Johnson-Johnson-Red-Cross-All-Purpose-First-Aid-Kit-125-pc/44298773

Like I do with all my first aid kits, I modified it. grin I have no affiliations; Johnson & Johnson builds decent budget-friendly first aid kits.

Jeanette Isabelle

#275938 - 07/24/15 10:31 PM Re: Additions to commercial 3 day packs [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
  • Backpack: Is it any good? Will it fit whoever is to wear it? Will it hold up?
  • Food and water ( unspecified amounts): I strongly prefer hydration bladders for carrying enough water to matter -- this kit sounds like it doesn't have enough water to matter.
  • Emergency blankets: Cheap mylar blankets are better than nothing but I would throw them out and replace with Heatsheets.
  • First aid kit: Addressed above.
  • Two 12-hour safety light sticks: Waste of space, would throw them out and replace with a quality LED flashlight and extra batteries.
  • Dust masks: Good.
  • Nitrile gloves: Good.
  • Emergency whistle: If it's a good one, good.
  • Emergency ponchos and pocket tissues: Emergency ponchos are much better than nothing but I would prefer a real rain shell and a fleece for each person in your party. Pocket tissues are a nice-to-have but I don't include them in emergency kits, as I can always come up with something I'd rather include.
  • 10 cotton tip applicators: Huh?

I don't see any fixed-blade knife, multitool, flashlight (mentioned above), headlamp, fire-making, cordage, navigation, sun protection, bug protection, or water disinfection. This doesn't look like a kit I would buy.

#275940 - 07/24/15 10:36 PM Re: Additions to commercial 3 day packs [Re: TeacherRO]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Hmm, maybe it's just me but the Grab-N-Go kit doesn't look that impressive. So for $30 you get a cheap backpack with a few very basic (and cheap - as in not so great quality) items. No tools of any kind, no flashlight, no way to start a fire etc. I'm not really sure how you could upgrade that kit. It might be better to avoid it altogether and save your money. Even the generic pocket survival tin that costs about the same looks pretty good compared to what you get with this package. Another $5 will buy the plastic rain poncho and a lot more bottled water than is included in the Walmart kit.

I understand buying a commercial kit may be convenient for some people. But all in all, you could do a much better job assembling a survival kit from scratch. It might cost a little more (or maybe not) but in any case it gives you the freedom to tailor the contents of the kit to your specific needs. Also, most commercial kits on the market contain items of substandard quality, oftentimes so bad they pretty much fall apart the first time you try to use them. YMMV.

#275941 - 07/25/15 12:37 AM Re: Additions to commercial 3 day packs [Re: chaosmagnet]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
  • Emergency ponchos and pocket tissues: Emergency ponchos are much better than nothing but I would prefer a real rain shell and a fleece for each person in your party.

I would not brush off emergency ponchos. They are good for what they are intended to be, a one-time-use items for when it's wet but not cold.

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
  • 10 cotton tip applicators: Huh?

I'm wondering about that too.

Jeanette Isabelle

#275942 - 07/25/15 01:08 AM Re: Additions to commercial 3 day packs [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I would not brush off emergency ponchos. They are good for what they are intended to be, a one-time-use items for when it's wet but not cold.

I put them in my car kits -- but I have a good rain shell in my car, and I've been trying to get my wife to keep one in hers.

#275943 - 07/25/15 06:40 AM Re: Additions to commercial 3 day packs [Re: TeacherRO]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
looks like the sort of thing that would give the average person a false sense of security.
back to the question of what to add is more of what to toss out.having said that i would want a pack of those lifeboat rations,a big water bladder and a filter or tabs,a nylon rain jacket and poly fluff jacket as blankets don't cover everything and would slip off when moving.a few TP packs that come in MRE's and wet wipe sort of things.a LED light is a must and rather than a back pack i would want a pack frame because you can carry a lot more weight.i found that out when i used a yard sale frame to carry spring water back to my car.it was a easy walk but when i lifted the four gallon picnic jug out it was heavy!

Edited by CANOEDOGS (07/25/15 06:58 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Doug_Ritter), 369 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.