The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#276034 - 08/01/15 03:09 PM Re: Canoe trips soon, any suggestions [Re: KenK]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The BSA kit measures 10" x 9˝" x 4"; weighs 1.9 lbs -- larger than the AMK Fundamentals FAK but smaller than AMK's Comprehensive. It is also larger and heavier than the NOLS Med Kit 5.0, their largest which contains both 5x9 & 8x10 trauma pads and a triangle bandage -- NOLS Med Kit Comparison Chart, none of which are shown on the BSA kit's content list at the link above. If the AMK-BSA kit does contain the trauma pads and triangle bandages it might be a good kit. The BSA FAK bag itself is large so is probably suitable for major revisions, but without the trauma pads and triangle bandage the contents look more like a large boo-boo kit. FWIW, YMMV, $.02

#276035 - 08/01/15 05:51 PM Re: Canoe trips soon, any suggestions [Re: Russ]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
In my opinion, triangular bandages are in the "nice to have, but not essential" category, since their function can usually be readily improvised from other items.

I always include a small packet of aspirin in all my kits, as that is your only viable tool in case someone begins showing symptoms of a heart attack. While a heart attack may be unlikely among the young Boy Sprouts, it is certainly a possibility amongst the adult leaders.

#276036 - 08/01/15 06:09 PM Re: Canoe trips soon, any suggestions [Re: Mark_F]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Mark, it sounds like a fun trip. You might want to consider bringing a rescue rope throw bag. Even in quiet river paddling these are handy. In faster rivers they are essential for quick rescue while minimizing risk to the rescuers. If you do take one be sure to review and practice how to use it efficiently and safely.

I'm sure you're considering your tactics on the river. It Is often a good idea to have the last boat be level headed, strong paddlers with good rescue skills. They can act as "sweep", to encourage lagging boats, make sure no one gets inadvertently left behind, and in a worst case to conduct a rescue if a boat capsizes.

Have fun!

#276038 - 08/01/15 07:07 PM Re: Canoe trips soon, any suggestions [Re: Mark_F]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If its a big group. some waterproof walkie-talkies for the leaders; its hard for the front of the group to talk to those in the rear.

#276040 - 08/01/15 09:34 PM Re: Canoe trips soon, any suggestions [Re: Mark_F]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Perhaps I missed it, but unless you can be assured 100% cell phone connectivity, I would urge you to include a PLB (or a SEND).
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#276127 - 08/08/15 03:46 AM Re: Canoe trips soon, any suggestions [Re: Mark_F]
Pete Offline
Veteran

suggestion by Doug for a PLB is a super good idea.

I have done plenty of canoe trips in my time.
ALWAYS a blast.
But the main thing about canoe trips - it is always a PEOPLE problem. it's never an equipment problem. You can always get a pretty good amount of equipment and food in a canoe.

It always boils down to HOW PEOPLE COOPERATE.
If you ever want to see a knock-down drag-out fight ... put two stangers in one canoe. It takes close cooperation to go anywhere. Most people FALL APART fast on that "cooperation thing".

I highly commend you for trying this with your troop. Seriously. I suggest that as the Team Leader - you be prepared for major failures in teamwork and cooperation. It is guaranteed to happen. Be prepared to SWITCH partners, and do a lot of conflict resolution.

REMEMBER ONE THING.
Your Troop is watching how you respond to each "crisis". If you can avoid coming unglued - chances are that you will have a great trip. And take some kids Tylenol - you'll need it!!

cheers,
Pete

#276168 - 08/10/15 05:34 PM Re: Canoe trips soon, any suggestions [Re: Mark_F]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Agreed: with scouts its often either a failure of maturity or a failure of preparation -
I'd expect lots of flip-flops, forgetting of key things, staying up all night the night before, etc.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.