The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#276013 - 07/30/15 04:39 PM Canoe trips soon, any suggestions
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
OK, the troop is going to be taking some canoe trips soon, the first is a one day only trip, but the biggie, coming up labor day, is a 3 day 50 mile trip. As I expect it will be like it was last year when we did a 2 day trip, the bulk of our gear (i.e. camp chairs, food for evening meal, sleeping bags, tents, dry shoes and clothes, etc) will be transported via trailer to the various take out/camping sites, so I am mainly concerned with just what is necessary/nice to have on the water for the day. My on-the-water load-out last year consisted of a pack filled with the ten essentials plus a few other items. I always tend to overload so I am looking to trim this down somewhat if possible. Comments and suggestions are most welcomed.

A day pack tied into the boat contains:

- Head lamp (in water resistant container)
- Rain gear
- extra clothing (fleece, extra socks, hat and gloves in dry sack)
- sun protection (sunscreen, sunglasses, spf 15 lip balm - a hat is lashed to my pack but will end up on my head)
- water (assorted bottles as well as a sawyer mini filter if needed)
- snacks (includes hydration drink mix and coffee, in dry sack)
- first aid kit (in dry box or dry sack)
- fire starting kit (consists of bic lighter, pack of the uco stormproof matches, tinder tabs and small thin pieces of cardboard all contained in a watertight container)
- compass with maps (maps will be laminated or otherwise waterproofed)
- back pack stove and fuel (in dry sack)
- stanley cooker with 2 cups nested inside
- sierra cup nests on the outside of the cooker
- mess kit with light my fire plastic spork
- one or more of those super absorbent towels (in dry sac)
- lunch for the day
- tp and small shovel (tp in dry sack)
- assorted wet wipes
- cordage (a 50 to 100 foot hank of paracord or something similar)
- mini-tarp, 5 by 7

On my person:

- knife (usually two, a SAK with attached swisstech pliers and cold steel voyager)
- cell phone (in watertight container)
- survival kit (beefed up PSP in watertight container)
- Heatsheet emergency blanket
- bandanna
- neck lanyard with whistle, fenix e-01, fire steel and pill fob containing char cloth and jute twine
- glucose tablets (in dry sack)
- if i can wear it with the life jacket, a belt pouch with spare supplies of insulin, needles, and alcohol swabs, otherwise this will have to go in the pack
- glasses keepers (lost glasses in bottom of lake last year, lesson learned)

I feel like I am overdoing it with a lot of the emergency gear, as the river we will be running parallels a major highway most of the way and often we can see people's houses from the river. But I pack it anyway, because it doesn't take up THAT much more space and that little "what if .. " voice keeps ringing in the back of my head. So please let me know what you all think. All suggestions and comments welcome and as always thanks in advance.

#276014 - 07/30/15 05:01 PM Re: Canoe trips soon, any suggestions [Re: Mark_F]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

1. Being in charge of a bunch of scouts; start with preparing THEM. Send a list to include PFD's ( worn) hats, sunglasses, meds, water bottle. Then sunscreen up as a group each day.

2. group first aid kit to include bug spray, more sunscreen, molefoam.

3. you need a contact list of scouts, their needs ( food, meds, etc) and parents contact info.

4. send someone to walmart or the dollar store for a bunch of glasses retention straps

5. get a waterproof sack ( walmart) to line your pack with. the bottom of every pack gets wet.

6. Spare battery or charging system for your phone

#276016 - 07/30/15 05:59 PM Re: Canoe trips soon, any suggestions [Re: Mark_F]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Could you be more specific about the first aid it?

Jeanette Isabelle

#276018 - 07/30/15 07:02 PM Re: Canoe trips soon, any suggestions [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Thanks for the tips teacher ...

I'm not in charge of the event, so that will be up to the other scout leaders to decide (i'll try my best to make sure they remember to include those items on any lists even tho the scouts are SUPPOSED to make sure they always bring their ten essentials with them); the PFDs are being provided so the scouts don't have to bring their own; a group first aid kit always goes with us as far as I know (but not in my canoe); same with the contact lists, and we are all well aware of food sensitivities (one with peanut and another with egg allergy); good idea on the glasses straps and the waterproof bag, I'd been thinking of using one as the bottom of my pack did get wet last year; I have the powerbanks and cords for my phone already, just forgot to put them on the list.

Jeanette, my first aid kit is just a small personal kit, with band-aids, a few 3 by 3 gauze pads, small roll of tape, moleskin, hand sanitizer, antibiotic ointment, scissors, gloves, and pencil and paper (per the boy scout handbook on personal first aid kits, less the cpr barrier as I can't seem to really find one of these); I am considering ramping that up a bit so I can deal with other minor injuries/emergencies that may crop up until the person with the group kit arrives, but I am not really much of a first aid person.

#276022 - 07/31/15 05:26 AM Re: Canoe trips soon, any suggestions [Re: Mark_F]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
you might want a spare paddle in your canoe in case one busts or drifts off.duct tape? you can never have enough.
most of my canoe tripping is solo wilderness stuff so i have no idea what going out with a troop of kids would be like but having lots of water so they don't drink out of the river would be a must.
if you get a chance post a few photos when you get back.

#276023 - 07/31/15 12:31 PM Re: Canoe trips soon, any suggestions [Re: CANOEDOGS]
NAro Online   content
Addict

I would make the assumption that everything on your person and in the pack will get dunked. EVERYTHING. And if I'm wrong, that's great.

I also think that a pack (waterproof) tied in to the canoe is mostly O.K. , but having been separated from my secondary "kit" in one canoe capsize situation, I will ALWAYS have the basics on my person. I use one of these on a belt, and if necessary one UNDER my T-shirt (so it won't hang up - - had that happen too!)
http://usstore.aquapac.net/explore-by-activity/watersports/belt-case-uss828.html

In this regard, you stated you might carry insulin, needles, swabs IN THE PACK. I'd strongly suggest not. On your person would be more prudent.

#276025 - 07/31/15 04:53 PM Re: Canoe trips soon, any suggestions [Re: Mark_F]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Mark, sounds like a great plan. There is nothing like a canoe trip to take some time off and enjoy the outdoors.

Canoeing down an easy route close to civilization reduces a lot of potential risks, so I'm sure it will be a pleasant and rewarding experience for everyone involved. Having the extra equipment transported by road and staying at established campsites is another bonus.

In that sort of situation I would pack light and take only the essentials which you've covered pretty well already. Sometimes, less is more so I would probably omit the mini tarp and maybe some of the cooking equipment and/or eating utensils. For emergency purposes, a small stove and a very basic mess kit ought to be enough (however, if preparing a warm meal is part of the plan, disregard the above). However, I would add an extra paddle and a larger cutting tool (hatchet or machete) just in case.

Other than that, I suspect the biggest challenge will be looking out for the troop to make sure everyone is doing all right and that the physically weaker, less experienced individuals can keep up the pace without burning out. However, as a troop you already have those systems in place so it shouldn't be a problem.

Stay safe and have a great trip!

#276028 - 07/31/15 06:37 PM Re: Canoe trips soon, any suggestions [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Good tips canoedogs, added duct tape to my list, and we usually send an extra paddle with each canoe so no worries there. Same with the water. Will try to post up some pics if I can.

I'm with ya there NAro, I'm hoping to stay dry, but planning to go "splash." My survival kit that will be on my person is a comprehensive kit in a small watertight dry box. The heatsheet blanket is still wrapped in it's protective plastic wrap but a little (or a lot of) water shouldn't hurt it anyway. Likewise with the other items I've mentioned. Anything that MUST stay dry (items for fire, first aid items, extra clothing, cell phone, etc) is going in a dry sack, ziploc bag or dry box depending on how much stuff I have to put in them and how many dry bags/boxes I have on hand (keep in mind DS will be going as well so I have to split the dry bag/box stash with him). Ziploc bags, while not ideal, can be ok for waterproofing the less essential items as needed. If at all possible I'll have my diabetic supplies on my person, I have a maxpedition pouch just for the job, as long as it doesn't interfere with the PFD. If that happens I'm not sure what I'll do, maybe I can attach it to the PFD or otherwise attach it on my person somewhere.

Tom, I'm hoping this year's trip will be as enjoyable as last year. We had some boys who weren't physically ready for the demands of doing the trip in a kayak, but other than that there were no real issues. We just switched them to a canoe and allowed other boys to have their turn in the kayak. As the big trip this year (the 50 miler on Labor day weekend) is a council event, we expect to draw in several more units which means there will be a LOT more of us on the water, which also means a lot more chances for the unexpected to happen so would like to be better prepared. As you said tho, relatively calm waters, not far from civilization, cell phone service along just about the entire course, makes for a less stressful trip.

#276030 - 08/01/15 01:31 PM Re: Canoe trips soon, any suggestions [Re: Mark_F]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
for Jeanette, this is the Boy Scout recommended first aid kit for a patrol or small troop:

1 2" roller bandage
2 1" roller bandages
1 roll of 1" adhesive tape
24 alcohol swabs
1 box of assorted adhesive bandages
2 3"-wide elastic bandages
12 sterile 3"x3" gauze pads
4 3"x6" pieces of moleskin
2 packets of gel pads for blisters and burns
1 tube of triple antibiotic ointment
4 triangular bandages (40"x28")
1 small bar of soap or small bottle of alcohol-based hand sanitizing gel
Scissors
Tweezers
12 safety pins
1 splint
6 pairs of non-latex disposable gloves
Protective goggles/safety glasses
CPR breathing barrier
Pencil and paper

Optional recommended items:
An instant cold compress
A space blanket
A SAM Splint

Unfortunately it will typically cost a lot of money and time to buy the components on their own.

Fortunately Adventure Medical - a very well respected maker of first aid and other outdoor kits - makes a kit for the Boy Scouts with the non-optional kit items:
http://www.scoutstuff.org/kit-bsa-troop-1st-aid.html#.VbzIaflViko

I don't find this kit on Adventure Medicals regular website. I haven't taken the time to look to determine which if their regular kits is closest to this.

#276032 - 08/01/15 02:59 PM Re: Canoe trips soon, any suggestions [Re: KenK]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
This is not a bad price for a quality, pre-made kit with everything you need for your situation. I have bought a number of their kits over the years so I know their quality.

Experience has taught me money can be saved from buying a kit from Wal-Mart or Sam's Club and modifying it to fit ones needs. Be careful, though, there is one brand that is best to stay away from: Physicians Care.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.