Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#276209 - 08/14/15 03:45 PM Re: Follow-up New Yorker article: "How to Stay Safe.." [Re: benjammin]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Ben is referring to the "mega tsunami" hypothesis, where a giant landslide could theoretically generate an immense wave. There are several reasons to doubt this idea.

In order to generate such a giant wave, the landslide would have to behave as a single coherent block. However, actual landslides don't tend to happen that way. While there is evidence that blocks have slumped off of the Canary Islands in the past, they seem to have broken as a series of subunits, which do not generate tsunamies on anywhere near the scale of a "mega tsunami".

Also note that a mega tsunami of that scale would leave a deposit as evidence. All that stuff scored off of Florida would get dumped elsewhere. Such deposits HAVE NOT been found from previous slumps of the Canary Islands.

See Killing off the Canary Islands mega tsunami scare for more info.

#276211 - 08/14/15 07:38 PM Re: Follow-up New Yorker article: "How to Stay Safe.." [Re: AKSAR]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I remember watching that documentary of the Canary Island created tsunami. It isn't implausible.

It has happened before but it is rare: Hawaii has sloughed off huge landslides in the prehistoric past that have left evidence all over the Pacific.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilina_Slump https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilina_Slumphttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilina_Slump

However, the mega-tsunami and super-volcano or all the mega-disaster terms that have been coined in the last few years have served little more than rattle the imagination along with metor/comet hits and have captivated movie audiences. The chances of these events happening in mine or yours lifetime are extremely low.

I'd worry more about the "run of the mill" hurricanes, tornadoes, tsunamis, floods and earthquakes. smile I say that with a bit of cheese...

#276293 - 08/20/15 06:51 PM Re: Follow-up New Yorker article: "How to Stay Safe.." [Re: AKSAR]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yeah, low likelihood, big damage, interesting analysis, about like any other mega-disaster theory looming these days. Could happen anytime, maybe tomorrow, but maybe not in another 100 to 10,000 years. Sorta like the stories about Mag 9 earthquakes, supervolcanoes, asteroid impacts etc...

Don't know how you can prep for any of these type of events. Like my wife's favorite counter-argument, "you never know..."

Everybody gotta die sometime.

#276306 - 08/21/15 07:01 AM Re: Follow-up New Yorker article: "How to Stay Safe.." [Re: Dagny]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'm pretty sure that prehistoric Britain was scoured by a landslide-generated Mega Tsunami. I agree that it's impossible to be prepared for everything. I think it makes sense to devote most of one's resources- personally and as a society- to the most likely and/or serious threats. Let's face it- if the Yellowstone Caldera explodes in a full force eruption there's not much we can do. That would be a very challenging event for humans a species, much less individual people. [While the media likes to talk about how "overdue" such an explosion is the fact remains that the best geological evidence points to decreasing activity over the millenia- ie. it may not be overdue so much as just slowing in activity.] On the other hand, earthquakes, tsunamis and hurricanes/typhoons are much more regular occurrences. Add to this list tornadoes, flood and blizzards and you're getting down to the things that we really should be preparing for.

#276309 - 08/21/15 03:06 PM Re: Follow-up New Yorker article: "How to Stay Safe.." [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If you live in coastal environment (as I do) you must consider tsunamis in your disaster plans, because they are coming, tsuner or later.

#276315 - 08/21/15 06:32 PM Re: Follow-up New Yorker article: "How to Stay Safe.." [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
If you live in coastal environment (as I do) you must consider tsunamis in your disaster plans, because they are coming, tsuner or later.

The last few years I've noticed a surge of concern about tsunamis on the west coast, accompanied by a veritable flood of new information on how to escape them.

#276317 - 08/22/15 04:33 AM Re: Follow-up New Yorker article: "How to Stay Safe.." [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Indeed, we have recently been inundated - up to our necks, as it were, by tsunami warning signs. But there is no escaping - in my part of town, as soon as you have attained enough elevation to be reasonably safe from the big T, you are in an officially designated "earthquake hazard zone" with all its problems, including liquifaction.

Yet, despite all this, the Washington post proclaimed my county (Ventura) as the most desirable place to live in the continental US, excluding Alaska and Hawaii (which have plenty of nice spots as well).

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 346 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.