Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#275950 - 07/25/15 09:50 PM Re: Additions to commercial 3 day packs [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
  • Emergency ponchos and pocket tissues: Emergency ponchos are much better than nothing but I would prefer a real rain shell and a fleece for each person in your party.

I would not brush off emergency ponchos. They are good for what they are intended to be, a one-time-use items for when it's wet but not cold.

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
  • 10 cotton tip applicators: Huh?

I'm wondering about that too.

Jeanette Isabelle

Useful for cleaning a whole number of things besides the ears! I use them for cleaning gun parts, tools, etc. Considering the small size & weight, why not include them.

However, no kit is complete without the much more important duct tape & cordage and I don't see that on the list.

#275970 - 07/28/15 05:55 PM Re: Additions to commercial 3 day packs [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'd start with a bigger better pack - a college book pack, 2nd hand, for example. Which would have more room for missing items; tools, more water* and warmth
(fleece pullover or rain jackets.) Waterproof box for phone, charger.

Teacher

* hard to include 6 gals of water, but its good to have a way to hold it.

#275972 - 07/28/15 08:03 PM Re: Additions to commercial 3 day packs [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The best of this type of which I am aware is this from REI http://www.rei.com/product/867416/rei-emergency-kit

It isn't without its flaws - no matches - which is duly noted in the product description. It could also include more water. It isn't what you would call cheap at $165.

You can do much better by assembling you own kit. It will be suited to your circumstances, your environment, and your techniques. Using stuff you already have, it will be much cheaper and more useful. Any such pack should be regularly updated with summer and winter versions, at a minimum.

#275975 - 07/28/15 09:38 PM Re: Additions to commercial 3 day packs [Re: CANOEDOGS]
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
... and rather than a back pack i would want a pack frame because you can carry a lot more weight...

I agree. The biggest fault I see with most emergency packs is that they are based on bags that hang all the weight on the shoulders, which are simply the wrong place to on the body to carry much weight for any distance.

If the objective is only to contain assorted gear together in one handy place, than a bookbag style pack with shoulder straps only would be fine. But if the objective is to be able to carry more than 10-15 lbs for some appreciable distance, then a pack with either an internal or an external frame capable of shifting the load to a stout hip belt is called for.

My own pack is based on a Kelty MAP 3500. http://www.amronintl.com/kelty-map-3500-three-day-assault-pack.html

#275982 - 07/29/15 03:50 AM Re: Additions to commercial 3 day packs [Re: JeffMc]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
interesting that none of these "kits" apparently contain any kind of edged instrument. I would certainly toss in a Mora, some model or another of RSK, or a Wave.

#275994 - 07/29/15 08:56 PM Re: Additions to commercial 3 day packs [Re: TeacherRO]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
10 cotton tip applicators: Huh?

OK, how about tinder
to help start a fire

#276054 - 08/02/15 06:37 PM Re: Additions to commercial 3 day packs [Re: TeacherRO]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Tools for shutting off gas and water (could be important for after an earthquake). A more robust FAK. A dust filter and goggles and leather gloves (to deal with the mess of demolition style debris). More water. A pry tool. A flashlight and extra batteries. A more robust multi-tool (Leatherman Wave is my preference). A roll of gorilla tape.

That would be a good start anyways. Earthquakes usually require increased material handling and a more hazardous atmosphere present. Most three day packs are generally too anemic anyways.

#276057 - 08/03/15 12:30 AM Re: Additions to commercial 3 day packs [Re: benjammin]
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
Good points.

All the airborne crap around the WTC did number on my lungs, even though I tried to wear a respirator most of the time, despite assurances from the EPA that the air quality is not a problem. You are right, at every disaster, helos, trucks and all the activity, not to mention fires, can quickly send air to very unhealthy levels, so some N-95 masks or better are cheap and very worthwhile protection.

Having sturdy boots, appropriate clothing, work gloves and a hard hat will also be very welcome in the aftermath of a disaster. The needn't take up precious space in your kit bag; just keep them in a cheap drawstring pouch or something on the outside.

I'm not sure which tools would serve best for hasty first responder light rescue, post-disaster. But an awful lot can be accomplished with a Halligan (Hooligan) tool and a fire axe, if you know how to use them and want to invest $200+. Personally, I have a smaller and much cheaper Stanley 18" FuBar, a Channellock 88, and a spring-loaded window punch/seatbelt cutter, along with the usual tool kit, in my trunk.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.