Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#275906 - 07/23/15 09:08 AM I'm going to jungle tracking next week!
BmwJohn Offline
Stranger

Loc: New York
guyss ! I'm going to jungle tracking next week and my lecture told us to bring our own bag..and then I found this Solar panel bag on amazon! Can anyone tell me whether this is a good pick or not? It has 30% discount right now, contain a lots of great extra tools like solar panel, 10,000 mAh powerbank, cable.

I really need to get it within this week so its a little bit rush right now.Thanks !

#275912 - 07/23/15 02:30 PM Re: I'm going to jungle tracking next week! [Re: BmwJohn]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
might be just me, but looks gimmicky

I'd strongly suggest a separate well made pack, and a separate well made solar charging system, depending on your budget.

I can't really recommend a pack as I'm not sure what size you'll need for your adventure and/or what other options you'd like to have.

We discussed solar chargers in this thread not long ago, maybe there are newer options I am not aware of.

I also have doubts how useful a solar charger will be in a jungle environment but that's really your call.

Will be watching this thread, I really like to read the discussions on packs and solar chargers, lots of knowledgeable peeps here.

#275915 - 07/23/15 06:37 PM Re: I'm going to jungle tracking next week! [Re: BmwJohn]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Without knowing you, your fitness level, and what you plan to carry, it's hard for me to make a suggestion as to a specific pack. What I can do is share with you some manufacturers that I've had good luck with.
  • At the EDCForums store, the SERT backpack. I'd share the link but they're out of stock. I wrote a review of the backpack at http://edcforums.com/threads/first-impressions-of-sert-in-route-edc-backpack.121655/.
  • Goruck. I own two and they're fantastic -- my GR1 has been with me for countless air, road and trail miles and could easily be mistaken for new.
  • CamelBak's Military and other packs. I've owned several and they've been excellent. My older (discontinued) M.U.L.E. is my range pack and I have not been gentle with it, but it looks new. I recently got a screaming deal on a discontinued Mil Tac H.A.W.G. and so far I'm super happy with it.
  • On the much, much lower end we have a few L.A. Police Gear 3 Day Backpacks and "Operator" Backpacks and they've been surprisingly good at that price point.

There are others out there that have really good reputations like 5.11, TAD, Tom Bihn, Kifaru and Mystery Ranch. If I were in the market for a new bag I would consider any of these as being high quality, but I don't have significant hands-on with them.

For me, based on my personal likes, dislikes and experience, Goruck is what I would buy.

#275916 - 07/23/15 07:28 PM Re: I'm going to jungle tracking next week! [Re: BmwJohn]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Somehow I don't associate solar charging with jungle tracking.
Nor with quality backpacks.

#275954 - 07/27/15 06:19 AM Re: I'm going to jungle tracking next week! [Re: BmwJohn]
BmwJohn Offline
Stranger

Loc: New York
Thanks for all the suggestion everyone, Guess I've made my own mind not buying it then =) Yes I would save some money by picking seperate stuff.

#275960 - 07/28/15 10:46 AM Re: I'm going to jungle tracking next week! [Re: BmwJohn]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Could you please give a short description of jungle tracking? I have not heard the term before.

Nomad

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.