The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#275853 - 07/19/15 04:27 PM The disaster scenario that is South Florida
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Interesting news story on rising water levels in South Florida.

Believe in it or not, climate change is affecting many areas of the world.

Couple of excerpts from the below link.

Scientists are starting to suggest that, in the long run, much of South Florida cannot be saved and that policymakers should begin planning for how to best deal with a massive northward exodus in the coming decades, as some of the most iconic real estate on the continent begins to succumb to the sea.

Few places are as geographically ill-equipped to deal with rising water as southern Florida. Not only is much of the land barely a few feet above sea level, it also sits on a bed of porous limestone and sand, making measures such as dikes far less effective. Higher sea levels would eat away at the barrier islands that buffer the coast against powerful storms – which is hugely problematic, given that more powerful storms are one of the hallmarks of climate change. The rising water also threatens to slip inland and contaminate the wells that provide much of the region’s drinking water.

Come hell or high water: The disaster scenario that is South Florida.

John Lubbock

#275865 - 07/20/15 08:46 AM Re: The disaster scenario that is South Florida [Re: Teslinhiker]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I expect things will get a lot worse before it gets better. I'm glad I don't live on the coast!

#275897 - 07/22/15 02:11 PM Re: The disaster scenario that is South Florida [Re: Teslinhiker]
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

This type of scare is old news. Hardly a day goes by when some "expert" doesn't warn us of the dire consequences of "climate change", (which is what it's called now since "global warming" turned out to not be happening.)

Follow the money, and I guarantee this professor with his frightening theories is on the take from some grant he received to "study" this problem.

This article rattles off one catastrophe scenario after another, sprinkled with phrases like:

"Prof. Stoddard has little doubt..."

"Should the ocean crawl just one more foot up the edges of this peninsula – something that’s projected to happen in the next two decades, by some estimates..."

"What if it’s too late?"

"Scientists are starting to suggest that..."

"Even then, by some estimates..."

This isn't science. This is hype and fear mongering based on manipulation and guesses and theories.

It certainly isn't something worthy of concern in a forum discussing natural disasters.

David

#275898 - 07/22/15 07:42 PM Re: The disaster scenario that is South Florida [Re: bigmbogo]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Sea levels are generally accepted to be rising worldwide, this is a simple matter of observation.

Discussion as to the cause or causes of this rise can provoke strong feelings and is arguably prohibited in these forums under the "no politics" rule.(not directly party political, I know, but close enough to avoid)

Whilst some might take the view that the observed rise is short term and may stop or reverse, it seems to me a reasonable assumption that the observed rise in sea levels will probably continue.

That leads to the conclusion that living in an area that is already very low lying and vulnerable to flooding is not the best long term choice.
No forbidden political argument is required to state that coastal flooding has increased in recent decades, and that if currents trends continue, that it will get worse still.

#275899 - 07/22/15 08:28 PM Re: The disaster scenario that is South Florida [Re: Teslinhiker]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
"massive northward exodus" --- I doubt that it'll happen in a week or two.

Chances are better that a hurricane will chase folks out before then. Maybe several times.

Seems like this is just one of a thousand possible catastrophes that get air time.

Maybe the large meteor strike will happen first so this flooding thing won't be an issue?

#275900 - 07/22/15 08:56 PM Re: The disaster scenario that is South Florida [Re: adam2]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
University press release warns that falling solar activity may bring new ice age
and
Scientists say Sun’s heartbeat will bring on Ice Age
tells me that there is more than a little disagreement regarding GW and the reasonable assumption that sea levels will continue rising.
Quote:
...the authors extended the prediction of these two magnetic waves to the next two cycle 25 and 26 and discovered that the waves become fully separated into the opposite hemispheres in cycle 26 and thus have little chance of interacting and producing sunspot numbers. This will lead to a sharp decline in solar activity in years 2030—2040 comparable with the conditions existed previously during the Maunder minimum in the XVII century ...
Maunder Minimum

#275902 - 07/22/15 09:53 PM Re: The disaster scenario that is South Florida [Re: Teslinhiker]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
The Maunder Minimum doesn't explain total solar output but rather solar activity. The total energy output only ever varies by 0.1%, not enough to be a major factor in climate. There will be no new ice age in the next couple centuries.

South Florida better have a plan for rising sea levels because they are coming, nothing can prevent that now.

#275903 - 07/23/15 04:21 AM Re: The disaster scenario that is South Florida [Re: Teslinhiker]
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

Warning signs that an argument is BS is when people are absolutely certain about their theories, implying that anyone who disagrees "just doesn't get it."

"Sea levels are generally accepted to be rising worldwide, this is a simple matter of observation."

"...coastal flooding has increased in recent decades..."

"There will be no new ice age in the next couple centuries."

"South Florida better have a plan for rising sea levels because they are coming, nothing can prevent that now."

I accept the theory that there might be some global warming in the future. Or not. But whenever someone is absolutely certain about such an incredibly complex and unpredictable topic, I start getting suspicious. It sounds like desperation.

Another thing that makes my BS antennae twitch are when the predictions get more "sky-is-falling", more shrill, and more extreme. Which is what this constant establishment drumbeat is.

Remember "Y2K"? How everyone panicked, spent BILLIONS of dollars on new software, programming, and equipment, because the scientists and experts scared the crap out of us? It turned out to be the world's biggest hoax. If I had to guess, it was probably perpetrated by out-of-work COBOL programmers to drum up some business. (They then had the chutzpah the day after Y2K, when the earth didn't go up in a puff of smoke, to congratulate themselves on a job well done.)

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” Naguib Mahfouz

I am hearing a lot of "answers" here.

David

#275908 - 07/23/15 12:15 PM Re: The disaster scenario that is South Florida [Re: Teslinhiker]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK

> Follow the money, and I guarantee this professor with his frightening theories is on the take from some grant he received to "study" this problem.

Thanks for the guarantee now please present the evidence.

No one is saying there is complete agreement on global warming, but it's a fact 97% of the worlds climate scientists think it's a problem. One thing very noticeable about the deniers is they aren't climate scientists.
Y2K was no hoax. If you know a way a 2 digit year field can handle a change of century please explain it.

qjs

#275909 - 07/23/15 01:12 PM Re: The disaster scenario that is South Florida [Re: Teslinhiker]
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

Deleted by Mods

Edited by Doug_Ritter (07/23/15 02:25 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.