Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#275748 - 07/11/15 12:43 PM Car Fire: open the hood or not?
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Bingley's question about the best size of fire extinguishers for cars made me wonder about something when you do discover a fire (usually under the car's hood), and as I did not want to hijack his thread, I thought I start a new one.

So...

You discover a fire under the hood of the car. It seems most people's first impulse is to get the hood open to get to the fire, and (if they have it) use an extinguisher.

But, is this the right thing to do?

IMO, keeping the hood closed will contain the fire and the smoke and CO/CO2 will tend to deprive the fire of oxygen, and slow it down. When you open the hood, the fire will flare up as all the fumes escape upward and oxygen flows in from the bottom. Now it is a bigger fire. So even if you have an extinguisher, opening the hood may just flare up the fire so it is totally out of control. . .better to just get everyone clear and to call for help and let the pros handle it. Leave the hood closed.

What do you guys think?

#275752 - 07/11/15 02:24 PM Re: Car Fire: open the hood or not? [Re: bws48]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I used to work at a large American automaker's proving ground that had all sorts of experimental activity going on - so there was a higher possibility of engine fires there than in the outside world.

We were carefully instructed that in the event of an engine fire the FIRST thing we were to do before exiting the vehicle was to pull the hood release. The second thing we were to do was to get away from the vehicle and call the emergency phone number. We were NEVER to attempt to open the hood.

They told us that the heat of a fire could quickly heat up the hood release cable clamps making it almost impossible to open the hood without massive damage to the vehicle.

Let the firefighters pop the secondary hood release, open the hood, and pressure wash the engine - or what's left of the engine.

#275753 - 07/11/15 03:40 PM Re: Car Fire: open the hood or not? [Re: bws48]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I would like to note the original post has two separate and opposing questions really.

1. With regards to safety and survival, is it better to open the hood or keep the hood closed while getting far away? (I say the answer to this question is keep the hood closed and get far away, and pop the latch first if you have the time and nerves to do so.)

2. With regards to putting the fire out quickly without regards to the best safety, is it best to open the hood or keep the hood closed? (I say the answer to this is get that hood open somehow and get some extinguisher on that fire; and that's a job for a trained professional.)

#275754 - 07/11/15 05:04 PM Re: Car Fire: open the hood or not? [Re: bws48]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
I was taught to run away from your own car on fire, there is not enough time to locate what you need, just get out.

If it is someone else's car pop, not open, the bonnet (hood) and blow the extinguisher through the gap until it is empty, but be prepared, it will probably not be enough. Leave the opening of the bonnet to the professionals. Don't touch a cabin fire.

Last year a car in the road outside stopped with a fire under the bonnet, I dumped a 2kg CO2 extinguisher in to no effect then got a 6kg powder which did the job. By then the engine was a right off, just about everything non-metal melted.

Edited by Ian (07/11/15 05:05 PM)

#275756 - 07/11/15 06:10 PM Re: Car Fire: open the hood or not? [Re: bws48]
Blacktop Offline

Loc: Cypress, TX
The best solution that I have found after failing to put out an engine fire in a stranger's car with a standard fire extinguisher which didn't seem to want to operate very well on it's side or inverted, is to get an extinguisher with an attached flexible hose. That way, you could hold the extinguisher upright and bend the hose to where you needed to put it - either through a popped, but not opened hood, or from underneath the car, spraying upwards into the engine compartment.

#275760 - 07/11/15 07:48 PM Re: Car Fire: open the hood or not? [Re: Blacktop]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
I was told the following

If the fire is relatively small, and you have a large extinguisher, then open the hood just sufficiently to use the extinguisher. DO NOT fully open the hood until the fire appears to be out, and even then have a second unused large extinguisher to hand when eventually fully opening the hood.
Dry powder is considered the most effective type of extinguisher for vehicle fires but is also the most destructive. CO2 is fairly effective but disperses very quickly in the open air. Foam is effective.

If no large extinguisher is to hand, leave well alone and await the fire brigade.

If a vehicle is well alight then it is already a write off, but in most cases the fire should still be fought least it spreads to structures or other vehicles.
Perhaps surprisingly, water from a hose may be used on a vehicle fire, it is mainly rubber and plastic burning and not petrol.
Apply the water such as to cool surfaces and prevent the fire spreading.

#275761 - 07/11/15 08:42 PM Re: Car Fire: open the hood or not? [Re: Ian]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Ian
I was taught to run away from your own car on fire,

I was told not to run. There is enough time to walk away to a safe distance and direction.

there is not enough time to locate what you need, just get out.

If you need significant time to locate what you need, you put it in the wrong place. Around here vehicles which are required to have extinguishers on board, must store them in an easily accessible place. When you bother to keep an extinguisher in a vehicle, it should be easily reachable. On a side note it should be regularly serviced or replaced too.

#275762 - 07/11/15 09:55 PM Re: Car Fire: open the hood or not? [Re: bws48]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Most car fires you encounter are already involved, there's no fighting the fire or rescuing a burned up engine. Use a fire extinguisher if necessary and convenient to rescue occupants, by keeping flames at bay and releasing or cutting their safety belts.

#275766 - 07/12/15 11:09 AM Re: Car Fire: open the hood or not? [Re: bws48]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
"Run Away" like in Monty Python "Run Away"

Run Away, Monty Python

Does German humour allow Monty Python to be available?

#275767 - 07/12/15 01:38 PM Re: Car Fire: open the hood or not? [Re: Ian]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
"Run Away" like in Monty Python "Run Away"

Run Away, Monty Python

As Tim the Enchanter said, "So! Brave knights! If you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all."

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.