Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#275153 - 05/18/15 10:47 AM Re: SOS Emergency Food Bar taste test [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I am worried about MRE's shelf life in the trunk. In the summer it gets plenty hot, and prolonged exposure to heat -- and there definitely will be prolonged exposure -- will really shorten the shelf life. I'm counting on the emergency rations to last longer.

#275156 - 05/18/15 01:42 PM Re: SOS Emergency Food Bar taste test [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have just returned from a two week trip to a remote location (i.e.s I did not have internet) and used the occasion to consume some of my stockpiled rations - some with best buy dates as far back as 2006.

Beef or turkey jerky is practically immortal. If King Tut had been buried with Costco jerky, we would relish it today. Tanka bars were equally as good. Lara bars, a very good snack within their best buy range, showed their age, but were consumed with no problem. Clif bars were OK.

Car storage is an extreme environment. keep food out of the sun, stock normal stuff you like to eat,and recycle and restock periodically.

#275186 - 05/22/15 04:19 PM Re: SOS Emergency Food Bar taste test [Re: Bingley]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I just received the SOS bars, and had some Datrex on hand. I taste tested both of them with my family.

The Datrex bar is essentially half the size and nutrition of the SOS bar/serving.

The Datrex tastes like shortbread cookies, and everyone liked them.

The SOS bars have more coconut flavor, but were also good. Everyone enjoyed them as well.

Neither one is a gourmet meal, but pleasant enough even when you are not starving. In my opinion, they both tasted better than most energy or protein bars. The consistency and texture were more like cookies.

Both were a little oily on the outside of the plastic wrapping. I am not sure if this is from the inside or part of the packing strategy.

The Datrex bars reminded me of an old survival ration the military used to use, but with better taste.

My 2 cents.

#275380 - 06/07/15 05:00 PM Re: SOS Emergency Food Bar taste test [Re: Bingley]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
If you liked that one, SOS Food Lab also makes the New Millennium bars, with 9 different flavors. The 6 I tried were all better than expected and what I keep on hand.

Edited by Basecamp (06/07/15 05:01 PM)

#275385 - 06/08/15 10:27 AM Re: SOS Emergency Food Bar taste test [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Some of the New Millennium bars are incredibly sweet! I couldn't eat more than a couple nibbles of the blueberry ones. Maybe the other ones are better.

#275423 - 06/11/15 04:40 PM Re: SOS Emergency Food Bar taste test [Re: Bingley]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
"tasty" is of course "opinion"
boreal.net

#275430 - 06/13/15 05:55 PM Re: SOS Emergency Food Bar taste test [Re: Bingley]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Aloha! Long time no see. Had a little free time this morning, so I thought I'd pop in and see what old friends are doing. Hope everyone is well.

My favorite is the Pro Bar Meal Bar. Peanut butter chocolate chip in particular. It is a delicious meal replacement. I take some hiking as well as when traveling. A meal bar and some jerky get me through the longest flights without having to buy overpriced under quality air plane food. On the rare times I fly first class, the meal bars and jerky are a good backup.

I have tried Daytrex (sp?) and really don't like it. Tried another brand that a buddy gave me. That one sucked too. Pro Bar is filling, nutritious and tastes good. We buy them by the case and grab one to go when we are tight on time too. Even my kids are ok eating them.

#275704 - 07/08/15 01:00 AM Re: SOS Emergency Food Bar taste test [Re: Phaedrus]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
I hadn't tried that one, and stay away from anything blueberry as a rule.

One exception is the "Cave Man" nutrition bar available at Costco. Not a storage bar, "best by" date looks like a year out from manufacture; but by the looks of it a healthy bar. It's a combo pack with "wild blueberry nut" and a "dark chocolate almond coconut" bars. Both were very good.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 423 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.