Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#273147 - 12/05/14 05:42 PM Survival computer games
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Hey folks! So long! Just want to share with you the wonderful and stylish PC game, which I have discovered just yesterday. I have found it really inspirational, plot-vise realistic, and in many aspects even quite educational even for our seasoned ETS community as it covers many basics of urban survival and helps to better understand not only physical survival challenges, but also giving a good grasp on moral and interpersonal aspects of that.

http://www.11bitstudios.com/games/16/this-war-of-mine

This War Of Mine provides an experience of war seen from an entirely new angle. For the very first time you do not play as an elite soldier, rather a group of civilians trying to survive in a besieged city. During the day snipers outside stop you from leaving your refuge, so you need to focus on maintaining your hideout. At night you get a chance to scavenge nearby locations for items that will help you stay alive.
Make life-and-death decisions driven by your conscience. Try to protect everybody from your shelter or sacrifice some of them to endure the hardships. During war, there are no good or bad decisions; there is only survival. The sooner you realize that, the better.

#273150 - 12/05/14 08:39 PM Re: Survival computer games [Re: Alex]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
This looks good to me but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Unfortunately I haven't much time for games on the PC.

#275698 - 07/07/15 01:49 PM Re: Survival computer games [Re: Alex]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I'm not a big fan of computer games; I do recognize the word "educational" in "educational games."

I recently resurrected a dead apocalyptic RPG. One thing I'm learning, and I can't stress this enough, is how much survival is dependant on psychology.

Jeanette Isabelle

#280131 - 03/28/16 07:21 PM Re: Survival computer games [Re: Alex]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Found another well made survival game, now - for Android (free): http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sandbaygames.survive It's in works still, though (the dev. is adding some more survival factors, like dangerous animals). It simulates a stranded in the woods vehicle situation and random get home distance / conditions.

I had no problem surviving for 11 days and walking 78 miles out. Just hang out for a while near the creek, making enough portable food supply smile

#280132 - 03/28/16 07:31 PM Re: Survival computer games [Re: Alex]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

And another good one on Android, for zombie killing lovers smile Resembles that "This War of Mine" above to some extent. Free, but really hard without in game purchases.

This one is also available for iOS.

#280133 - 03/28/16 11:21 PM Re: Survival computer games [Re: Alex]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
These are probably of value, but I can't but help feel that real world experience in the actual outdoors with significant environmental stresses - actively hiking, climbing, caving, search and rescue, or whatever, is still better preparation.

#280134 - 03/29/16 12:51 AM Re: Survival computer games [Re: Alex]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Survivalcraft is one, its somewhat of a clone of minecraft but with a survival theme. Of course minecraft in survival mode is as well. My son has learned a lot, for example caching. He would go through a phase where he just kept killing me so I started caching all my stuff and he couldn't figure out how I'd get things back so quickly until I taught him.

#280139 - 03/29/16 08:15 PM Re: Survival computer games [Re: Alex]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Same with my son, but the Minecraft style din't catch me yet, as I know far better pictured 3D worlds to survive within smile (the latest Fallout 4 is mesmerizing). The games above are more of a flat, board type, and require just a mouse/finger click to operate at full capacity. Didn' know it's available on Android already, though: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.candyrufusgames.survivalcraft will give it a shot when my left arm is back.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 639 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.