Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#275669 - 07/03/15 04:27 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: acropolis5]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
It took some fiddling with the search tool, but I think this is the post your mentioned:

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=268120&page=2

If I recall this thread correctly, there were a lot of good ideas in it.

#275670 - 07/03/15 07:18 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

bws48, many thanx for taking the time to find the thread. And yes, that's the thread to which I was referring . I also agree, it contains many valuable ideas. The most glaring omission from my list was a paper map. IMO, the three most valuable items in my list, not in the others, are the Xcaper Escape Mask ,swim goggles and Nomex gloves. Very useful to self extricate a smoke/ debris filled building or tunnel.

#275682 - 07/06/15 07:02 AM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

One really useful thing that I've learned on my travels - whenever you're about to visit a city that you're not familiar with study the map carefully and memorize the basic layout, important landmarks and directions you need to take. That way you'll be able to get moving without consulting the map too often.

This is particularly important if arriving by plane or public transport. In many places, especially in the developing countries, any new foreigner in town will be immediately swamped by wannabe guides, beggars, touts, maybe even less desirable elements. Being able to move confidently in the right direction and ignoring all the hassle in the process will instantly set you apart from the clueless tourist crowd. It gives you the air of somebody who's been there before and knows all the tricks, so it makes you much less of a target.

#275684 - 07/06/15 12:19 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Excellent point, Tom_L! It also helps a lot when trying to keep cab drivers from ripping you off.

#275685 - 07/06/15 03:11 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: chaosmagnet]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

Cash. Carry cash and be ready to use it.

Some of that cash should be in the form of a roll of quarters too. Useful for vending machines.

#275686 - 07/06/15 03:25 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: brandtb]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: brandtb
Some of that cash should be in the form of a roll of quarters too. Useful for vending machines.

In my neck of the woods, every vending machine takes dollar bills and many of them take credit cards -- although you should expect credit cards to not work in any event that disrupts telecommunications.

The only time I find myself using coins is in certain smaller municipalities for parking meters. YMMV. Knowing the area you're operating in will help you with this.

#275687 - 07/06/15 07:19 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: brandtb]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -

I think it wouldn't harm, to decipher the "ready to use it" part once again. Don't keep it all in your wallet. In a large crowded city pick-pocketing skills are mastered to almost a magician's level. smile

#275688 - 07/06/15 07:22 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
Thank you, everybody, for sharing your good ideas and useful suggestions in these excellent posts. It was, in part, a good review of my own preps and ideas, and in part some new, alternative or even better ideas.

I especially agree that, in any kind of urban disaster, cash is king. knowing the general lay of the land and having a paper map is also highly useful. Being ready to hoof it for some distance is also a very a good idea, and one reason why I hate wearing business suits with their impractical shoes (much worse for businesswomen).

Thanks again!

#275689 - 07/06/15 09:12 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: Alex]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Alex

I think it wouldn't harm, to decipher the "ready to use it" part once again. Don't keep it all in your wallet. In a large crowded city pick-pocketing skills are mastered to almost a magician's level. smile

A traveling friend of mine relies on concealed travel wallets (IWB, and neck) and/or money belts for pickpocket prone areas. His pocket carry cash gets tucked behind something else (notepad or cell phone) to break up the outline.

My $.02 is carry a cross body satchel or sling bag that can be pulled around your front in crowds. Backpacks are, as I can unfortunately attest to, very easy to pickpocket.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#275690 - 07/06/15 10:05 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Mark R,
I see that you are a SoCal fellow. So obviously not a "dense" city boy. In NYC , other dense downtowns and museums all over, people in very crowded spaces ( sometimes mandatorily) wear their day packs on their front. Strange feeling at first, but not hard to accomadate after a bit . Choose you daypack size & fit accordingly. If pickpockets are a concern , those little TSA combo locks can be used on the zip pulls. A more expensive resolution is one of the special anti slash, grab or pickpocket packs. Several brands. Google is your friend.
As to cash, split it up all over your person, wallet ( very little) , off side or rear pocket, sock, shoe, neck wallet, bra, underwear , etc. I also have stopped carrying coins. Pay phones are almost non-existent and existing ones allow use of credit cards. Vending machines & laundamats take bills or plain don't work in a power outage. If you can afford it, $1000 is ideal. 2, $100s; 2, $50s, 30, $20s, balance in $10s, $5s and $1s, split in 3 equal stashes. Work up to it over time. Also a good idea to split up your credit cards, if you have 2 or more.
Same idea is to photo your passport, driver's license, medical insurance ID, health conditions card. Finally, I'm a big believer in wearing a MedicAlert Foundation medallion or bracelet. Instant ID, notice of medical conditions, toll free phone number to supply other medical/ personal info. EMTs know to look for it. No personal connection . But , I am a satisfied subscriber.

Edited by acropolis5 (07/06/15 10:15 PM)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.