Topic Options
#275604 - 06/30/15 04:06 PM Stranded Woman Starts Forest Fire
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#275607 - 06/30/15 07:55 PM Re: Stranded Woman Starts Forest Fire [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
My Monday morning (Tuesday lunch) quarterbacking:

1) Went into labor unexpectently - Can be somewhat anticipated, but not really something you can schedule. Mine decided to show up a month early, so I can't fault her.

2) Going down an unknown, rarely used, back road while in labor - First mistake.

3) Not having enough gas to begin with - Second mistake

4) Giving birth in car by herself - Kudos for her fortitude and skill.

5) Not planning for getting stranded - This appears to be in a rural area, so...Third mistake. I'm not sure about the air and ground coverage, but this would seem like a good time for mirror and whistle work, and GHB provisions.

6) Forest fire - Kudos on the idea of a signal fire, but points deducted for choice of location.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#275615 - 07/01/15 01:04 AM Re: Stranded Woman Starts Forest Fire [Re: Doug_Ritter]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I wonder if she'll be brought up on criminal charges. Not that I want that, I'm just wondering where the line beteween legal and illegal is.

#275632 - 07/01/15 03:55 PM Re: Stranded Woman Starts Forest Fire [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

The woman in the article complained about being outside of cell coverage. I think having GPS on your cell phone can give you a false sense of security, because cell coverage is imperfect. Back roads in the woods are definitely an example of the sort of place where you might get lost. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a dedicated GPS unit uses satellites, and as long as you get a clear line of sight to the sky, you should be able to get a signal. They have come down in price so much after facing competition from cell phones that they seem worth the money.

#275636 - 07/01/15 08:17 PM Re: Stranded Woman Starts Forest Fire [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
The big difference between cell phone GPS and dedicated GPS, is that the dedicated GPS's come preloaded with the maps. The cell phones have to load the maps from the network as needed. They both use GPS satellites to establish location. The cell phone can also use WiFi signals, internet IP adresses, and cell tower signals to approximate it's location in liu of a GPS, sometimes with really off results.

There are cell phone GPS applications intended for off road use, and don't require a network connection of any type. The one I currently favor is "GPS Test Plus" by Chartcross. It gives you bearing and distance to a point. Repeatability is about 50 ft. "Waypoint Pro" is a little more powerfull, being able to show bearing and heading to multiple points simultaneously. But, the bearing can get badly skewed by the emmisions from the dashboard electronics and the steel (magnetic)car frame.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#275639 - 07/01/15 09:32 PM Re: Stranded Woman Starts Forest Fire [Re: Bingley]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I'm using my phone as a GPS navigator all the time (and used them for many years). No cell coverage necessary at all if you know what you are doing. There are plenty of various software options (paid and free) available, which capabilities significantly better than those of any handheld civilian GPS units I ever heard about. The only issue with them - they need more power, so a solar panel is a must have on a multi-day hike (I've got Goal Zero Nomad 7 - adequate enough in sunny California).

#275644 - 07/02/15 07:56 AM Re: Stranded Woman Starts Forest Fire [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

In my experience, a dedicated hiking GPS is far more reliable than anything built into a cell phone.

I have used some form of GPS for quite a while. My Garmin Vista HCx has seen pretty much constant use since about 2007, still going strong. Despite some minor flaws it has done the work very well for the most part. Its battery life on a couple of AA cells is about 24 hours of continuous use. Or about 24 times longer a modern smartphone will last with the GPS turned on.

Then comes the issue of mechanical reliability. I've dropped a dedicated GPS receiver more times than I'm ready to admit. No damage beyond a few scruffs and scratches. On the other hand, very few cell phones will tolerate any kind of abuse. Heck, pretty much every cell phone I've owned in the last decade has fallen apart within two years of nothing more than basic urban EDC.

The way I see it, a standalone GPS receiver intended for hiking use is a serious outdoor tool. A cell phone, not so much. I'm sure you can get plenty of apps and gizmos for a modern GPS smartphone but I don't really see any practical value in that department. As long as my GPS receiver gives me an accurate location fix that's pretty much all I'll ever need.

As always, YMMV.

#275648 - 07/02/15 01:28 PM Re: Stranded Woman Starts Forest Fire [Re: Doug_Ritter]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
If you are used to just pulling up Google maps, and you are out of cell range, you are out of luck, but there are good applications that allow for better use.

I have 2 or 3 smart phones that I bought for our kids that are not activated, just used as very very cheap game/music/cameras..
(God Bless Black Friday) cost ranged from 19.95 to 24.95.

The GPS works just fine, as well as the car units I own. You just need to download maps while at hone in a wifi area.

I find that Sygic works best on the older phones. Downloaded all state that I travel in and through. I update the maps every year.

#275657 - 07/02/15 08:19 PM Re: Stranded Woman Starts Forest Fire [Re: Tom_L]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
You can "ruggedize" your smartphone with many decent options and for cheap nowadays. I have dropped my older smartphone in the Otterbox Defender case many times as well - still working and looks like new. The new one have a hand/neck strap, attached to the Otterbox (DIY), and a "bulletproof" belt clip - never dropped it yet, but pretty sure it will survive almost anything a dedicated unit could, as I have a good habit already of protecting it at all times (too many survival tools on it). I know about the "redundancy" argument, but I prefer the "perfect single all in one, compact, lightweight tool, which I can protect the best I could" paradigm.

The "Only 24 hours with GPS on" - is not true anymore, get to Airplane mode, turn all power saving options, and don't use the screen too often, - you'll get the same time as a typical mapping handheld GPS, but way more functionality in the palm of your hand. There are plenty of on-the-go recharging options too, which are more efficient than just an AAs pile, when considered hiking weight wise, as well.

#275658 - 07/02/15 08:50 PM Re: Stranded Woman Starts Forest Fire [Re: Alex]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
You are referring to Android phones, not iPhones. With an iPhone GPS is deactivated in Airplane mode, you need to turn on cellular or wifi to get the GPS receiver turned on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.