Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#275653 - 07/02/15 06:26 PM Urban-specific survival advice?
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
Here's my situation. I carry a pretty extensive set of survival stuff in my car. I have a pretty comprehensive survival kit packed in a fairly generic-looking, non-tacticool backpack, plus other items like basic tools, both repair and rescue type, firearm. Most of my travels are in semi-rural areas with lots of woods, etc., so my survival pack is somewhat biased toward "wilderness" rather than "urban" survival. I'm in the disaster response business, so I've acquired various survival/disaster related training, as well as tactical/defensive training.

But sometimes I travel to the big city, sometimes by my car, but sometimes by airline, which limits what and how much stuff I can bring. So my questions are, what should I carry in a small air-travel friendly urban survival kit; what knowledge, skills or techniques should I a acquire; and what should my strategy or thinking include beyond the basics or obvious things; in the event of urban emergencies like widespread civil unrest or power outages, or any other advice you'd care to offer for when I am in an unfamiliar major city?

#275654 - 07/02/15 07:33 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My laptop bag always contains a small TSA-safe survival kit, with other things added when I'm not flying.

• first aid pouch, including boo-boo kit, small OTC med kit, and small trauma kit, including Combat Gauze, SWAT-T, gloves, duct tape, Z-pak dressing
  • flashlights: a NiteCore EC20 (2xCR123A) and an iTP EOS A3 (1xAAA) on a neck lanyard in the main kit, a Preon 2 (2xAAA) in the admin pouch
  • spare batteries (2xAAA and 2xCR123A)
  • small amount of cordage
  • Fox 40 Micro whistle on a neck lanyard
  • more duct tape (separate from trauma kit)
  • Aqua-Pouch (1L)
  • small sewing kit
  • button compass
  • a couple rubber bands holding together a few bobby pins and paper clips of various sizes
  • sunscreen wipe
  • small dual-band ham radio transceiver with earbud and antenna, suitable for listening to broadcast FM as well as ham use
  • mini-Bic in a keyring holder that protects the valve and is itself flammable
  • spare pair of sunglasses (when I'm wearing my contact lenses)
  • spare pair of prescription glasses with magnetic clip-on sunglasses
  • small hygiene kit

All this stuff takes up surprisingly little room and weight. The TSA never gives me any hassle about any of it. I carry a keyring Leatherman Style PS when I'm flying which gets inspected about one out of every three flights.

Laptop bag items used for work that might be useful in an emergency:
  • smartphone/tablet charger (this is a place where I see too many people buy cheap and later regret it, mine is a good one)
  • cables for everything you imagine and some things you probably don't
  • compact travel power strip (THIS is what you use to be a hero at the airport)
  • admin pouch that includes a notepad, pens, markers, and the aforementioned Preon 2 flashlight
  • laptop and power brick

When I'm not flying, I also carry:
  • LM Wave
  • Screwdriver kits, large and small
  • spare magazine for my carry pistol, to supplement the spare mag that I carry on-body (only where legal)

Edited by chaosmagnet (07/02/15 07:33 PM)

#275655 - 07/02/15 07:48 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

My previous post was dedicated to gear, I'll try to answer the other questions.

Quote:
what knowledge, skills or techniques should I acquire

I grew up in a very bad neighborhood of a major city. I have learned both experientially and later through study what to look for in terms of urban danger. I have defused any number of situations by early detection and evasion, and when appropriate by making potential assailants aware that I was aware of their intentions. Most assailants are looking for unaware victims, if you're aware and ready to run or fight you're more likely to escape unscathed.

Situational awareness is in my opinion the most important of urban survival skills.

You should also be ready to walk long distances, ride a bicycle, use public transit, use taxis or private vehicles, navigate, blend in, stand out, know where to go and know where not to go, as the situation demands.

I cannot stress how important a good pair of walking shoes can be. It's also critical to have outerwear appropriate for the weather, not just for whatever vehicle you plan to travel in.

Quote:
and what should my strategy or thinking include beyond the basics or obvious things; in the event of urban emergencies like widespread civil unrest or power outages, or any other advice you'd care to offer for when I am in an unfamiliar major city?

Cash. Carry cash and be ready to use it.

I tend to have four "bailout" plans if things in the city go sour. Plan A is to get in my car or rental and drive away. Cash can really help here, as if you're parked in a lot where the credit card readers go down, you could get stuck before you begin. I never park in the city without at least half a tank of gas. Plan B is to take a taxi, Uber, or (if all else fails) public transit to get out of Dodge. Plan C is to buy or rent a bicycle and ride away; I look up bike shops near where I plan to be. Plan D is to hoof it. I'm in good shape and have good shoes for walking, I could make 10-20 miles in a day depending on conditions.

If the smart move is to stay in town, cash might be able to get you a hotel room and/or a hot meal.

#275656 - 07/02/15 08:13 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Chaos magnet's advice is so excellent and comprehensive, I have only one thing to add: consider Fed-Exing to your destination the items you'd like to have but can't/don't want to deal with TSA on.

Great thread.

#275659 - 07/02/15 09:26 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Great reply, Chaosmagnet!
I would add a neat looking, round, no sharp points (important to pass TSA, so file off the ends if need to, as anything sharp will glow wildly on the scanner's screen, triggering manual search!) hunk of stiff stainless steel wire, preferably in an insulating sleeve, instead of paperclips - zillions of uses in any environment, but especially in an urban one, for survival tools/solutions improvisation.

Also you may consider a couple of N95 or better dust masks, pen sized high voltage detector (especially if you are in the city with a subway).

And it is always a good idea to buy a paper city map when you just arrive. It's not only for navigation (I'd prefer my smartphone for that), but it will help to blend easier with tourists if necessary, and it's a good large piece of paper to sit on, cover with, write on, and burn smile

By the way, if unsure of the outcome of TSA search - keep at hands a large sturdy self addressed, envelope and a book of post stamps (to match the weight). Agents are often nice enough to drop it at the post office, which is usually nearby.

#275660 - 07/02/15 10:25 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: chaosmagnet]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

Situational awareness is in my opinion the most important of urban survival skills.

True in all situations, but IMO critical in urban survival.

Many years ago, an old time street Cop told me that he could spot both potential victims and potential bad guys on the street by the way they walked. Victims had their heads down, walked tentatively, etc. Bad guys looked like they were hunting and tracking prey, waiting for an opportunity (I guess they were).

For a guy who likes hard cold facts, I find it strange, but true, to say "trust your gut." If something does not feel right, or someone doesn't seem right---believe it and get away.

John Astin (the actor) once was asked how he got along in one of the worst sections of NYC when he lived there as a starving young actor. He replied that when on the street, he put on his best "crazy" expression, and no one ever even approached him. Body language and attitude are key.

Don't make eye contact. Walk like you own the place and know where you are going; don't dawdle and look confused.

Don't stop and get into a conversation with anyone about anything. Keep moving. If possible, move into a crowded area; not because they might help, but because the bad guy doesn't want to take the risk that they might, and/or there are too many witnesses.

Remember, they want to prey on the weak---safer and more profit. So don't walk around looking like prey.

A friend and co-worker of mine once explained how he managed to safely live in one of the most gang-infested neighborhoods of Washington D.C. Basically, he called it "attitude" (my word). This quiet, soft-spoken accountant then proceeded to show me his "street" persona, and he scared the heck out of me. He never had any problems with the street gangs.

#275661 - 07/02/15 10:40 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: Alex]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Alex
Also you may consider a couple of N95 or better dust masks,

I had one in my kit when I was commuting by rail; I don't any more. I'm going to reconsider that decision.

Quote:
pen sized high voltage detector (especially if you are in the city with a subway).

I don't think there's any way to safely test for train voltage with gear that isn't at least a yard long.

Quote:
paper city map

Agreed, especially in a city you don't know well. Keep in mind that most of the time you don't want to look like a tourist.

#275663 - 07/02/15 11:14 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Quote:
pen sized high voltage detector (especially if you are in the city with a subway).

I don't think there's any way to safely test for train voltage with gear that isn't at least a yard long.

It's only around 600-700VAC - nothing supernatural for a non contact detector, they are easily up to 1000V standard, I believe. Surely, be cautious, not ground yourself too effectively smile

Quote:
paper city map

Agreed, especially in a city you don't know well. Keep in mind that most of the time you don't want to look like a tourist.

True. But in a distressed city there could be benefits to pretend or demonstrate that.

#275664 - 07/03/15 03:16 AM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Perhaps consider what types of emergency you want to survive? That will determine your choice of equipment. In most situations, you don't have to worry about food or water, at least in the short term, if you're in an urban environment, as long as you have money. Anywhere you go, a cell phone with a backup battery seems like a good idea.

Below I is my cursory response. Please correct and add as necessary.

Common emergencies:

Medical (car accident, sickness, assault, etc.) -- If you are flying, I don't know that you can carry much more than a basic first aid kit, which is probably going to be woefully inadequate. Cell phone for calling 911.

Fire -- Some sort of mask/bandana for the smoke. Flashlight. Cell phone can serve as a light source, too. Also, know where the exits are!

Transportation outage/disaster -- Flashlight, FAK. If you survive the initial event, a pair of walking shoes and money will eventually get you back to your hotel. Some sort of map

Power outage -- This could be cell outage or internet outage as well. Flashlight, FAK... What else? I'm drawing a blank.

#275666 - 07/03/15 05:23 AM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I'm sorry I don't know how to put my NY Metro, EDC/GHB detailed list into this post. But if you look back at my post of 2/28/14, in a thread titled, " Building A Get Home Bag GHB", you will see my take on a kit fitting your described need. Their are other relevant posts/ lists in that same thread. If you have the time, please give me your views on my kit, pro and con. I appreciate critiques and testing my concept against other's critical thoughts.

#275669 - 07/03/15 04:27 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: acropolis5]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
It took some fiddling with the search tool, but I think this is the post your mentioned:

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=268120&page=2

If I recall this thread correctly, there were a lot of good ideas in it.

#275670 - 07/03/15 07:18 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

bws48, many thanx for taking the time to find the thread. And yes, that's the thread to which I was referring . I also agree, it contains many valuable ideas. The most glaring omission from my list was a paper map. IMO, the three most valuable items in my list, not in the others, are the Xcaper Escape Mask ,swim goggles and Nomex gloves. Very useful to self extricate a smoke/ debris filled building or tunnel.

#275682 - 07/06/15 07:02 AM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

One really useful thing that I've learned on my travels - whenever you're about to visit a city that you're not familiar with study the map carefully and memorize the basic layout, important landmarks and directions you need to take. That way you'll be able to get moving without consulting the map too often.

This is particularly important if arriving by plane or public transport. In many places, especially in the developing countries, any new foreigner in town will be immediately swamped by wannabe guides, beggars, touts, maybe even less desirable elements. Being able to move confidently in the right direction and ignoring all the hassle in the process will instantly set you apart from the clueless tourist crowd. It gives you the air of somebody who's been there before and knows all the tricks, so it makes you much less of a target.

#275684 - 07/06/15 12:19 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Excellent point, Tom_L! It also helps a lot when trying to keep cab drivers from ripping you off.

#275685 - 07/06/15 03:11 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: chaosmagnet]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

Some of that cash should be in the form of a roll of quarters too. Useful for vending machines.

#275686 - 07/06/15 03:25 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: brandtb]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: brandtb
Some of that cash should be in the form of a roll of quarters too. Useful for vending machines.

In my neck of the woods, every vending machine takes dollar bills and many of them take credit cards -- although you should expect credit cards to not work in any event that disrupts telecommunications.

The only time I find myself using coins is in certain smaller municipalities for parking meters. YMMV. Knowing the area you're operating in will help you with this.

#275687 - 07/06/15 07:19 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: brandtb]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

I think it wouldn't harm, to decipher the "ready to use it" part once again. Don't keep it all in your wallet. In a large crowded city pick-pocketing skills are mastered to almost a magician's level. smile

#275688 - 07/06/15 07:22 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
Thank you, everybody, for sharing your good ideas and useful suggestions in these excellent posts. It was, in part, a good review of my own preps and ideas, and in part some new, alternative or even better ideas.

I especially agree that, in any kind of urban disaster, cash is king. knowing the general lay of the land and having a paper map is also highly useful. Being ready to hoof it for some distance is also a very a good idea, and one reason why I hate wearing business suits with their impractical shoes (much worse for businesswomen).

Thanks again!

#275689 - 07/06/15 09:12 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: Alex]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California

I think it wouldn't harm, to decipher the "ready to use it" part once again. Don't keep it all in your wallet. In a large crowded city pick-pocketing skills are mastered to almost a magician's level. smile

A traveling friend of mine relies on concealed travel wallets (IWB, and neck) and/or money belts for pickpocket prone areas. His pocket carry cash gets tucked behind something else (notepad or cell phone) to break up the outline.

My $.02 is carry a cross body satchel or sling bag that can be pulled around your front in crowds. Backpacks are, as I can unfortunately attest to, very easy to pickpocket.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#275690 - 07/06/15 10:05 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Mark R,
I see that you are a SoCal fellow. So obviously not a "dense" city boy. In NYC , other dense downtowns and museums all over, people in very crowded spaces ( sometimes mandatorily) wear their day packs on their front. Strange feeling at first, but not hard to accomadate after a bit . Choose you daypack size & fit accordingly. If pickpockets are a concern , those little TSA combo locks can be used on the zip pulls. A more expensive resolution is one of the special anti slash, grab or pickpocket packs. Several brands. Google is your friend.
As to cash, split it up all over your person, wallet ( very little) , off side or rear pocket, sock, shoe, neck wallet, bra, underwear , etc. I also have stopped carrying coins. Pay phones are almost non-existent and existing ones allow use of credit cards. Vending machines & laundamats take bills or plain don't work in a power outage. If you can afford it, $1000 is ideal. 2, $100s; 2, $50s, 30, $20s, balance in $10s, $5s and $1s, split in 3 equal stashes. Work up to it over time. Also a good idea to split up your credit cards, if you have 2 or more.
Same idea is to photo your passport, driver's license, medical insurance ID, health conditions card. Finally, I'm a big believer in wearing a MedicAlert Foundation medallion or bracelet. Instant ID, notice of medical conditions, toll free phone number to supply other medical/ personal info. EMTs know to look for it. No personal connection . But , I am a satisfied subscriber.

Edited by acropolis5 (07/06/15 10:15 PM)

#275692 - 07/06/15 10:57 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: Alex]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Quote:

It's only around 600-700VAC - nothing supernatural for a non contact detector, they are easily up to 1000V standard, I believe. Surely, be cautious, not ground yourself too effectively smile

Quote:
paper city map

True. But in a distressed city there could be benefits to pretend or demonstrate that.

Underground railways in the USA and elsewhere typically use DC supply at around 600 to 800 volts.
There is no cheap simple and compact device to test for DC voltage.
Non contact testers for AC voltages up to about 1000 volts are available, but WONT DETECT DC VOLTAGE.
The ONLY WAY to detect DC voltage is by an approved tester that uses a meter or a lamp connected between the conductor rail and ground.
And even if you DO carry such a device and are trained in its safe use, it only proves that the live rail was dead WHEN TESTED and does nothing to prevent it being re-energised.

The only safe advice is to avoid going on or near the track of an electric railway. If a serious emergency makes going on the track unavoidable, then do not step on or touch any rail, nor allow anything that you are carrying, holding or touching, to touch any rail.

#275693 - 07/07/15 12:07 AM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

There is no like button on this forum, so, there: like.

#275694 - 07/07/15 12:51 AM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: adam2]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: adam2
Underground railways in the USA and elsewhere typically use DC supply

Oh my! I've missed that it's a DC entirely! So, my pen detector is useless for that.

#275695 - 07/07/15 02:31 AM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: adam2]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: adam2
The only safe advice is to avoid going on or near the track of an electric railway. If a serious emergency makes going on the track unavoidable, then do not step on or touch any rail, nor allow anything that you are carrying, holding or touching, to touch any rail.

Amen.

#275696 - 07/07/15 02:37 AM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: Alex]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

A friend of mine was a Civil Engineer employed by the Port Authority of NY- NJ. Often, as a junior engineer, he worked supervising the PATH Train ( read "subway") repair crews. He told one story about the explicit testing protocol he was supposed to use to insure the 3rd. Rail wasn't energized, before work began. Well in the middle of his test, one of the older workers got impatient and said the equivalent of, " Look kid, here's how it's done." He then stood back a way and threw a metal bladed shovel at the 3rd. Rail. If it doesn't short and send the shovel flying, he said,it's not "Hot".. I'm not recommending that technique to anyone. But, I always found it an amusing story.

#275697 - 07/07/15 03:13 AM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
in the early 70's I was stationed in Japan and the Philippines, took some leave time in Hong Kong and Taipei, and TDY to Thailand and Okinawa...once down in SEA, a Thai elephant hide money belt was pretty much universal for the guys in my unit.... a copy of orders with TSCW clearance so you could get on a space available flight, and in the days before widespread copiers, a microfiche type 35mm photograph of your birth certificate to get you into a US Embassy or Legation if you lost your military ID... inexpensive nylon money belts are available similar to this one by AeroStitch...

#275699 - 07/07/15 04:27 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

information and walking shoes.

+1 to paper maps, bus schedules, cab company phone numbers, compass

And shoes you can hike in. Keep spares in the car

#275705 - 07/08/15 05:22 AM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
A wee bit of an extension of this thought: I keep a file on each state that I add to as I happen to come across an interesting news article, maps, freebies advertising booklets for that state. I also keep motel directories, AAA tour guide books, etc, etc. it's an old 4 drawer file cabinet.

#279727 - 02/24/16 09:12 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

cash is good too.

#279729 - 02/24/16 09:47 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: TeacherRO]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The world is going cashless. All you need is a credit card and a Starbucks gift card with enough balance for a Latte' and one of those wraps. wink

Says the guy who can always justify hitting the ATM one more time. Ask me why my credit history sucks...

#279730 - 02/25/16 12:55 AM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: Russ]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Russ
The world is going cashless. All you need is a credit card and a Starbucks gift card with enough balance for a Latte' and one of those wraps. wink

Says the guy who can always justify hitting the ATM one more time. Ask me why my credit history sucks...

Speaking of which: Check out the recommended "Go bag" contents. The first thing on there is ATM and credit cards

http://www.state.gov/m/dghr/flo/c23132.htm

That being said, cash is still king when the power and phones are out.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#279731 - 02/25/16 01:59 AM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Perhaps, a card reader, which can work with a smartphone could be handy for a prepper willing to trade his/here stored goods that way, anyway 99% will be unprepared, but with useless at large stores plastic cards smile

#279736 - 02/25/16 05:24 AM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Boys & Girls: In the immortal words of the folk poet laureate, Bob Dylan, "Money doesn't talk. It swears! ". I've written this before on these forums, but a bit of useful repetition is , IMO, allowable.

Cash money, US Geeenbacks, can buy you out of a mugging or assault, obtain the unattainable hotel room, plane ticket , taxi ride, or tow in a snow storm or other localized emergency. And if the power is out and the ATM and credit card readers are down, unless it's TEOTWAWKI, cash or barter will be the only mediums of exchange to instantly buy you what you want or need. In less stressed times, there are often discounts available if you are willing to pay cash.

Try for an on- body stash of at least $500: one $100, two $50s, nine $10s, ten $1s, & ten $20s. Break it up in a couple of body locations. If possible repeat the stash in your car and / or EDC/GHB. Try to accumulate a month's bills worth of cash in your home stash. Do your best.

Warren Zevon was more prescient than he may have known when he wrote, " Send Lawyers, Guns And Money". Substitute "Passport" for "Lawyers" and you have your basic special operator E & E Kit.

YMMV, but not by much I'll wager.

#279738 - 02/25/16 12:25 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: acropolis5]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: acropolis5
...YMMV, but not by much I'll wager.

Not by much at all. I hit up the ATM's while I can because there will come a time that I can't. If an ATM card won't work in an ATM, what are the odds a typical credit card will buy anything.

#279755 - 02/26/16 04:25 AM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: Russ]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Looks like an old thread got resurrected here. But it got me thinking. My conclusion is that a city is the very last place I'd want to be trying to survive in. I have very little faith in people behaving civilly. I fear many people would try to take advantage of the crisis and prey on others.

So I'd think I'd want gear to help me get OUT of the city. But I don't know what that would be. Good shoes, as several have already mentioned. Maps, which have been mentioned too. I would certainly want a firearm, but air travel can preclude that if you don't have the extra time to go through the additional security stuff before boarding. Or if you don't want to check bags. Or if your destination is a gun-hating place like New Jersey or Washington D.C. So in the general case, you're probably not going to have any reasonable personal protection. Which may make my goal of getting out of the city more difficult.

This is a tough one. Considering wilderness survival is much easier. But unrealistic for the most part. Most of us would be stuck in a mob of others trying to survive too, mixed in with the criminal element that wish to take advantage. Yeuch.

#279757 - 02/26/16 01:55 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
So much depends upon individual circumstances. How far would you wish to travel? How many others in the general population would have the same notion? What is the nature of the emergency?

While "looting/foraging" is present in many situations, there is also a lot of altruism and assistance in any disaster. Is the glass half full or half empty?

#279758 - 02/26/16 02:36 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I would hope for the full glass, but prepare for the empty one.

#279778 - 02/28/16 06:27 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: hikermor]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: hikermor

While "looting/foraging" is present in many situations, there is also a lot of altruism and assistance in any disaster. Is the glass half full or half empty?

Fish and visitors. Altruism for the first couple of days, but unless timely relief shows up, this will get tense.

#279779 - 02/28/16 07:06 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I know I have hit on this before, but communication skills are critical in this type of environment. At the very least, understand how the other person is thinking.

I recommend HIGHLY the work of a guy named Rory Miller on Conflict Communications.

He uses Maslow's Hierarchy of needs (I know how some people view some of his theories, but this does work) to explain how a person is thinking so you can predict behavior and know how to deal with it.

In a survival environment, I mean where people are struggling to literally survive, they are in the "lizard brain". They are desperate and dangerous, this is resource violence. They can be dealt with and brought out of that mode of thinking, but you need to take care.

In an environment where groups have formed and are struggling for dominance, they are in their "monkey brain", and social violence is the game. Behavior is different from the "lizard brain".

There are many other aspects of communication in this type of environment, and it is a survival skill. It can be learned. If anyone would like, I can put together a list of the best books on the subject. I have done extensive training in this, and have a great deal of experience using it. It can help anyone in any situation where they deal with people, not just survival situations. It is well worth the effort.

#279780 - 02/28/16 07:33 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

If it's down to a violent conflict, which is better: urban or rural?

#279781 - 02/28/16 09:43 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: Bingley]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Bingley: In my case, near the center of the NY/ NJ Metro area, I'm staying urban and in place, unless there is nuclear / chemical contamination or other such threat that requires immediate evacuation. Why, because Manhattan and the feeder roads/ rails/ airports are the locus of finance, communications, transportation and corporate HQs, in the USA and for a good chunk of the Western World. IMO, other than the Government center of Washington DC, that part of the NY/NJ Metro area is the next place the national and state governments are going to get up and running in a disaster. Except in the event of a multi-megaton direct hit, I cannot imagine a Black Swan event that changes that scenario.

I lived through 911 in this location and I held a peripheral governmental office which provided me some measure of knowledge concerning the movement of resources into Manhattan and the rerouting of transport around the stricken WTC site and lower Manhattan. It was the most intensive and impressive mobilization I have ever witnessed.

#279784 - 02/29/16 02:33 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: gonewiththewind]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Montanero
I recommend HIGHLY the work of a guy named Rory Miller on Conflict Communications.

I just bought this book based on your recommendation. I'll try to read it sometime in March.

#279785 - 02/29/16 03:22 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Another book that goes along with it is his book "Facing Violence". Adds to it. He does have others, but these are the two that best suit these needs.

#279786 - 02/29/16 07:43 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Thank you!

#279787 - 02/29/16 09:24 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: gonewiththewind]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Thanks Montanero, you just made two nice additions to my reading list!

#279788 - 02/29/16 10:30 PM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: JeffMc]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

This guy worked in corrections for a long time, and regularly had to extract prisoners from their cells that did not want to come out. He could usually talk them out be using these techniques. The whole point of it is to recognize it, understand the dynamics, avoid it, reduce the threat, or escape from it. The techniques are very practical and not difficult to learn.

He does carry it way beyond and teaches the actual violent techniques as well. But you can't learn that from a book, or in a forum.

#280135 - 03/29/16 05:51 AM Re: Urban-specific survival advice? [Re: gonewiththewind]
Rockazar Offline
Stranger

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Montanero

There are many other aspects of communication in this type of environment, and it is a survival skill. It can be learned. If anyone would like, I can put together a list of the best books on the subject. I have done extensive training in this, and have a great deal of experience using it. It can help anyone in any situation where they deal with people, not just survival situations. It is well worth the effort.

I'm creating a zombie thread, but is it still possible to request this list? That looks like a great subject.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.