Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#275641 - 07/02/15 02:44 AM Re: Deteriorating Signal to Noise Ratio? [Re: Alex]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: Alex
Personally, I'm less frequent here after I have noticed that this forum don't keep or is not able to lookup messages history for more than like 3 years back, or something...

That is interesting, I just checked and it is limited to 3 years. I am not sure why, I can go back and view very first post from 2005.

Maybe there is something we can do about that, but than again maybe not.

#275642 - 07/02/15 06:10 AM Re: Deteriorating Signal to Noise Ratio? [Re: AKSAR]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
It's exceedingly rare to see a thread go wrong at ETS. I don't really see any issues. If anything I said added to the problems I apologize.

#275651 - 07/02/15 03:38 PM Re: Deteriorating Signal to Noise Ratio? [Re: AKSAR]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
This is the main reason I had only 13 posts ALL LAST YEAR. The threads I visited mostly were commentary in nature...all fluff and no REAL content. Opinions, he said/she said stuff...I read the first post in a thread, and if I don't care, I move on.
Perhaps I've outgrown the site...hopefully not because I learned a lot in the first year or two after I joined. I haven't watched the news in 25 years, I haven't read a newspaper in 30 years, I'm not into social media AT ALL. What I've learned on this site I've actively searched for.
Is ETS still relevant..absolutely. I respect the mebers with thousands of posts...but I know I'll never be one of them. I don't even have 200 in six years! I'll quietly learn what I need to, and research stuff that is relevant to me and my family.
Thanks to all the old timers for being there and passing on your knowledge to everyone willing to take being prepared seriously. Not in a radical way, of couse, but in a responsible way that encourages everyone to grow and help look out for each other.

#275662 - 07/02/15 11:01 PM Re: Deteriorating Signal to Noise Ratio? [Re: AKSAR]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I participated in the thread at question; I don't think my post stepped over the lines, but if it did, I apologize.

I value different points of view on topics. I have found my preconceptions challenged by people who have had different experiences in different situations---different from my own, which challenge the conclusions I have drawn from my own experiences, and in several cases, caused me to change my preps.

So, for me, it is not just about the equipment, but when and how what is needed and how to use it, or avoid the situation entirely.

Facts and experiences, our own and that of others, are building blocks we need. Opinions, are just that: to be treated as information, but not evidence. I always try to remember "I could be wrong." So can the poster's opinion.

This forum has a tremendous base of real world experiences and expertise to share, and points of view about those experiences. I do not consider respectful, even sometimes heated, discussion of those experiences and points of view "noise." They do, often, need some thinking about. Unsubstantiated opinions, not so much.

For example, most recently, I learned a lot about Ebola in this forum that I never heard in the news. We had several members who were quite well informed on the subject, and I, for one, learned and appreciated their factual (and fact based opinion) input.

I hope we all can take a deep breath and focus on exchanging facts, information and yes, fact based opinions based on our experiences that can help other members be prepared for eventualities that we hope they never have to endure.

Mere discussions of piece of equipment "A" is better for survival then "B," without a full exploration of the context of its purpose, use, and alternatives, including opinions on these topics, is really not useful to me. Wading through all of those details and discussion can sometimes seem like "noise," but often that is how I learn to make my own trade-offs and judgments.

#275668 - 07/03/15 03:29 PM Re: Deteriorating Signal to Noise Ratio? [Re: chaosmagnet]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I'm open to suggestions as to what I can do to improve the s/n ratio.

chaosmagnet

In response to your request, I would like to say that you don't need to do anything (even though I said I am not interested).

The thread "Save a Life", which prompted this thread, is the most useful thread that I have ever seen on this site. I'll tell you why. There is one post in there by a guy who has posted only 55 times since 2008. The thread prompted him to share the fact that he had to shoot and kill a home invader. He's disabled and uses a wheel chair.

I have since introduced myself to this user in a private message and have become a sort of Internet friend. He has shared more information that has been extremely useful. If I could take just one nugget from this site over the years I've been here, then it would be the interaction with that one user.

By the way, in all my years of living, I have found the biggest gold nuggets of information come from natural conversations with people. If moderators were to meddle with the natural flow of conversation, then I highly doubt this site would get the type of gold nuggets that I described above.

The simple solution is to have users ignore threads in which they have no interest. Such a solution reduces your workload, keeps your site rich with gold nuggets, and encourages members to develop another survival skill. Yes, learning how to filter noise is an important survival skill. cool

#275671 - 07/04/15 12:48 AM Re: Deteriorating Signal to Noise Ratio? [Re: AKSAR]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Thank you for the positive comments in this thread about the moderation, I appreciate it.

It's worth making clear to anyone who is new or otherwise does not know, Doug Ritter owns the site and makes the rules. Blast is his appointed Sheriff. I am a volunteer deputy and I do not make the rules.

My preference is to have as little moderating to do as possible. ETS has been experiencing an ongoing wave of spammers attempting to register accounts, but even with that the workload is low and cooperation levels from posters is generally extremely high. For which I am very grateful.

Keeping in mind that I don't make the rules, I am always open to suggestions.

chaosmagnet

#275672 - 07/04/15 01:39 AM Re: Deteriorating Signal to Noise Ratio? [Re: AKSAR]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Thanks AKSAR for starting this thread. You have written far more eloquently then I could on the seemingly slow demise of this once great forum. I too share your thoughts and also have substantially curtailed my active participation here for quite some time.

I find that that this forum no longer suits my primary interest of outdoors adventure - and survival as the direction here is turning more concentric to just general commentary rather then advise and tips on how to be equipped to survive.

Much of this commentary and discussion can be off-putting as many times it turns into a long drawn out thread and which, 75% of the info is not relevant and only presented in a misguided game of one-upmanship of quickly (but not researched) internet gleaned "knowledge" wars with fellow posters.

I am contemplating in purchasing some semi-remote land for vacations, long weekends etc. Currently investing time, research and some money on solar and other alternative energy technologies with real world testing during longer camping trips to see if this would actually be right for us.

I have often thought about starting a thread here on this topic but do not think it would be all that worthwhile as another aspect of this forum is it does not seem to have many people who are actually outdoor active, let alone into short term, semi-remote living and survival.

That all said, I still check the forum multiple times per day hoping there will be some good threads to read and comment on...

John Lubbock

#275673 - 07/04/15 03:50 AM Re: Deteriorating Signal to Noise Ratio? [Re: Teslinhiker]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
I have often thought about starting a thread here on this topic but do not think it would be all that worthwhile as another aspect of this forum is it does not seem to have many people who are actually outdoor active, let alone into short term, semi-remote living and survival.

I for one would appreciate such a thread. I'm not sure I would have much to contribute but I would be very interested in reading it.

#275674 - 07/05/15 01:51 PM Re: Deteriorating Signal to Noise Ratio? [Re: AKSAR]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
One person's "noise" is another person's "music".

So long as things remain civil and reasonably on topic it would be a shame if someone didn't post or reply to a post for fear of thinking that their thoughts would be perceived of as "noise".

I know the number of my posts have decreased over the years because as I learn I ask fewer questions. On top of that as these old bone age I find myself spending less time in the "deep" outdoors. Still, I continue read the forums and reply when I think it might be helpful.

#275675 - 07/05/15 04:50 PM Re: Deteriorating Signal to Noise Ratio? [Re: AKSAR]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I have to agree with KenK's explanation.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 351 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.