Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#275579 - 06/28/15 03:45 PM Guy passed out on the road. What would you do?
Bingley Offline
Veteran

While driving home, I saw a guy lying at an intersection. It seemed like he passed out somehow while crossing the street. He might have been homeless. What would you do in this situation?

I noticed two or three cars stopping, concerned people getting out with the phones in their hands ready to call 911. People were starting to form a crowd. So I kept going. I thought I really couldn't have helped -- I'd probably just stand guard and call 911, like all these people were doing. That intersection wasn't far away from some major hospitals. I wonder whether there was anything I could have done.

#275580 - 06/28/15 05:38 PM Re: Guy passed out on the road. What would you do? [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
It's circumstantial. In your situation, I might have stopped, because I have more medical knowledge and equipment than most who aren't medical professionals. But if a crowd has collected and professional responders are close, there's nothing wrong with driving on.

Years ago in a very bad neighborhood I saw something similar -- the man looked like he was dead. My response was to call the police without stopping.

In my opinion, there are circumstances where I will always act if I can. If nobody else is around besides myself, I will act. If nobody else is willing to act, I will -- and I've seen this almost every time I've witnessed someone getting hurt. And of course, if it's my friend or family member, I will act.

#275585 - 06/28/15 10:36 PM Re: Guy passed out on the road. What would you do? [Re: Bingley]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

It's always a tricky scenario but I guess it all depends on the circumstances and one's gut feeling.

A couple of years ago my better half and I were driving home from work when we noticed an elderly gentleman lying on the lawn by the side of the road not far from where we lived. There were other people around, several pedestrians, everybody was looking at the poor guy but nobody stopped to help.

We pulled over and got out of the car. I felt a little uncomfortable about the situation, not knowing if it was just a random drunk that happened to pass out or someone in need of real medical assistance. I went closer to check anyway. The man was completely helpless and barely able to speak. I could see he'd had a drink or two, but he seemed very frail, unable to move or help himself.

It was a very hot day so I thought he may have suffered a stroke. Ruling that out I checked if he had hurt himself during the fall. He was all right other than a bruise or two, no broken bones at least. So I helped him get up. In fact, I had to lift him up all by myself, then carry him some way into the shade.

A few minutes later he managed to tell me his address, which was literally just next door. I helped him get home, by which time he was feeling well enough that he could manage on his own. As he was unlocking the door one of his neighbors showed up. It turned out she had been watching all the time. And she said I did a really good thing. Well, I wondered how come she didn't do anything about it, like maybe calling 911? I guess good Samaritans are in short supply these days.

#275586 - 06/28/15 11:21 PM Re: Guy passed out on the road. What would you do? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Hmm, reading your story, Tom, makes me think I should have gotten out of my car just to make sure people did call 911. I hope the crowd didn't just gather and watch.

#275589 - 06/29/15 11:48 AM Re: Guy passed out on the road. What would you do? [Re: Bingley]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

I suppose it's all more or less a split second kind of decision. No two situations are ever exactly alike so we tend to go with what we feel is the right course of action.

Based on what you wrote above I don't think I would've intervened personally in that sort of scenario. But you never know, folks these days often prefer to sit back and enjoy the show (maybe taking pictures with their iPhone in the process) instead of actively doing something helpful.

Then again, sometimes it is better to stay away. Homeless people, junkies, folks with mental issues etc. often get in trouble but trying to lend a helping hand might easily put you in an unpredictable position, possibly even a physical confrontation. So I can understand why people often prefer to walk away rather than risk getting caught in a messy situation.

#275593 - 06/29/15 06:26 PM Re: Guy passed out on the road. What would you do? [Re: Bingley]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Feel free to call 911 for potential emergencies - in effect handing it off to the pros. Stop if it is safe to do so, you have training and equipment and are willing to take some responsibility.

Edited by TeacherRO (06/30/15 11:36 PM)

#275606 - 06/30/15 07:24 PM Re: Guy passed out on the road. What would you do? [Re: Bingley]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
If there is already a crowd gathered around him, and you have no particular knowledge or equipment that is needed, then there is no reason to stop. It's already being handled.

Otherwise, refer to the Check/Call/Care.
1) Check if the reason he is lying in the street is hazardous to you. By this I mean a downed power line, the victim's mental problems, etc. Adding another victim that the EMTs will have to scrape off the pavement will not help matters any. If you're not sure, call first, then check.

2) Call 911, or whatever your local emergency number is. Get the professionals, with all the expensive equipment, on scene as fast as possible.

3) Care for them as best you can. This is where the legalese comes in. "Good Samaritan" laws protect you for anything you're trained to do. A basic first aid/CPR/AED certification allows you to treat shock, seizures, heart attacks, etc. It doesn't cover emergency tracheanomies with a Papermate and a pen knife. If you're legitimate first aid skills are too limited for the situation, go direct traffic so the emergency services don't get stuck in a traffic jam.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#275612 - 07/01/15 12:45 AM Re: Guy passed out on the road. What would you do? [Re: TeacherRO]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Feel free to call 911 for potential emergencies - in effect handing it off to the pros. Stop if it is safe to do so, you have training and equipment and are willing to take some responsibility.

That's how I feel.

#275616 - 07/01/15 04:08 AM Re: Guy passed out on the road. What would you do? [Re: Bingley]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
A few years ago, driving home from Fort Lauderdale on I-95, there was an overturned 18 wheeler cab on the left of the road in the median...on the other side of a guard rail. I saw the very aftermath of the accident, dirt flying and smoke. People were stopped and looking, and no one, NO ONE, got out of there cars. I was about ten cars behind by time I stopped. I put the car in park, ran about 50 yards to the cab, and tried to see if I could access anyone inside. I couldn't even see the driver, but I knew he was severely trapped. I'd say about twenty cars were around and still NO ONE got out to help, just me. THere was fuel all around, and my thoughts were not only trying to find the driver, but the fuel spill. About two minutes later a State Trooper pulled up and took control of the situation. I knew I couldn't really do anything further, this was way beyond me. I felt helpless, but I also felt disappointed that others didn't even get out of their cars to try to help. While I have no special training in this area, at least I did something, as I hope others would do for me if I had been in that cab. But I'm not too hopeful. I'm not trying to pass judgement, but if at all possible, I try to help. Have I passed situations in the past...yes. Do I think about my personal safety and have situational awareness...yes. I would not put myself or my loved ones in obvious danger, but trying to help is the right thing to do. A lot of people may think otherwise, but hopefully THEY won't be around if I need emergency assistance.

#275623 - 07/01/15 06:07 AM Re: Guy passed out on the road. What would you do? [Re: Bingley]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I'm pretty sure everybody on this forum is the type of person who would help others. It's just the nature of preparing to survive. For example, while camping or hiking, it's just a very common thing to help somebody who needs First Aid, some water, survival advice, or whatever. It's just not a big deal. It's just kind of like brushing teeth at night. It's just something we do.

Overall, I think people are pretty helpful in the immediate aftermath of a catastrophic event. We hear stories about what happened during 9/11, Katrina, etc.

However, when the adrenaline wears off, then what do people do? I am more impressed by people who help others when it is not so dramatic or glamorous to do so, for example, situations that would never make it to a movie scene.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.