Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#275729 - 07/09/15 10:05 PM Re: Save a Life – Surrender Your Knife [Re: Tom_L]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Originally Posted By: Tom_L
Not sure about the signal to noise ratio on this thread but given that some folks have expressed serious doubts about the "Surrender Your Knife" program it does appear to be real. In fact, there is a whole website dedicated to it:
http://surrenderyourknife.co.uk/

If you take the time to check out the blog section you'll see that the program has been around for a while. But the initial move toward banning "pointy" knives dates back to 2005. I've already posted a link to the BBC website and there's the Guardian story here:
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/may/27/ukcrime.prisonsandprobation

And for a quick impression of the yellow press response, here's a one story for starters:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/new...d-machetes.html

Now, it's entirely up to the British to decide what kind of legislation they want. My only concern is that the anti-knife hysteria might gain more ground elsewhere and eventually put me in a position where I could no longer legally own knives that I use daily for all sorts of valid purposes, none of them having anything to do with crime or violence.

That surrenderyourknife just looks an activist site, and not representative of anything governmental. There are similar campaigns to ban glass bottles.

I remember the whole pointy chef knife thing too, few articles and it disappeared.
I know of no current hysteria here in the UK, and being a member of a UK knife forum BritishBlades... would have heard about it.

I don't think the actual law is changing anytime soon. Yes, various organisations (police and media) don't accurately state the law, claiming it's illegal to have knives in public, but that is not the law.

Edited by Ren (07/09/15 10:05 PM)

#275731 - 07/10/15 09:01 AM Re: Save a Life – Surrender Your Knife [Re: brandtb]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'm glad to see things aren't all that bad. It's similar to the US where there are always small but vocal minorities calling for bans of just about everything you can think of. Doesn't mean it will happen!

#275732 - 07/10/15 09:38 AM Re: Save a Life – Surrender Your Knife [Re: brandtb]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

The term 'ban' does not have to be a legistration kind of ban. A call to ban something, can just be calling people to stop carrying/using stuff. Calling people to stop carrying things in a context where there is no other use then violence isn't really wrong in my mind.

Here is a example of a call to 'ban' something, I found last week during my trip in the UK. Pretty sure nobody will put that in legistration.

#275733 - 07/10/15 01:51 PM Re: Save a Life – Surrender Your Knife [Re: Tjin]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Tjin

Here is a example of a call to 'ban' something, I found last week during my trip in the UK. Pretty sure nobody will put that in legistration.

Slightly off topic but-

Can you translate into American English what a "chip pan" is?

#275734 - 07/10/15 02:06 PM Re: Save a Life – Surrender Your Knife [Re: brandtb]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Chip = Fries (but british, and cut in bigger piece).
Pan = fryer (in this case the old fashion one, you put on a stove)

British need there fish and chips (fried fish and fries)

#275735 - 07/10/15 04:23 PM Re: Save a Life – Surrender Your Knife [Re: Tjin]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Calling people to stop carrying things in a context where there is no other use then violence isn't really wrong in my mind.

I think this is not really the right mindset. There is nothing wrong with carrying a knife in a context where you likely wont need it as tool. However using violence in a context other then self defense is not really acceptable. It would make more sense calling people to stop using violence for settling disputes.
I feel much more comfortable attending events where you are allowed to bring your pocket knife. Those events tend to be peaceful and more fun.

#275736 - 07/10/15 05:26 PM Re: Save a Life – Surrender Your Knife [Re: Tjin]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Chip = Fries (but british, and cut in bigger piece).
Pan = fryer (in this case the old fashion one, you put on a stove)

British need there fish and chips (fried fish and fries)

Thanks. If forced to guess I would have guessed that.

#275737 - 07/10/15 05:26 PM Re: Save a Life – Surrender Your Knife [Re: brandtb]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
"It would make more sense calling people to stop using violence for settling disputes."

That really should be the message. The message "cowards carry" implies you should be able to settle disputes with your fists.

#275739 - 07/10/15 09:52 PM Re: Save a Life – Surrender Your Knife [Re: clearwater]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: clearwater
"It would make more sense calling people to stop using violence for settling disputes."

Nice concept, but human nature prevents that on most scales.

Edited by Mark_R (07/10/15 10:20 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.