Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#274227 - 02/16/15 05:40 PM Re: Surefire Breaks New Ground w 1xAAA Titan Lights [Re: Doug_Ritter]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
no argument from me, AR.

cheapie chinese lights aren't about reliability, they're about having low-cost multiples stashed everywhere, knowing they might not work when turned on (or to be used as inexpensive gifts, or as loaners, or used were one might lose it).

when i need to really trust one, i carry american-made customs like the 1xAAA Mako discussed here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/show...i-ve-ever-owned

surefires also fall under the "trustworthy" label.

#275159 - 05/18/15 03:46 PM Re: Surefire Breaks New Ground w 1xAAA Titan Lights [Re: Doug_Ritter]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
I picked up a Fenix E05 keychain light the other day off of Amazon to replace my little Energizer LED "FOB" light that I have been using for the last couple of years.

I really like the Fenix so far, it's small and with three brightness settings looks like it's going to be a good little light that won't bulk down the keychain too much.

#275165 - 05/18/15 07:41 PM Re: Surefire Breaks New Ground w 1xAAA Titan Lights [Re: Doug_Ritter]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I prefer AA lights. I have a FourSevens Quark AA - currently sitting unused. And I have an Olight T15 - currently sitting unused.

The one I carry every day is a cheaper light from China. I like it better. An XTAR, model WK41 (single AA-sized cell model). http://www.xtarlight.com/05-chanpin/p-001-1.asp?styleid=259

I don't like the two-handed operation of the Quark and Olight. You have to twist the head to change modes. The Quark cycles through two different sets of modes via pushbutton, the particular set of modes you cycle through being dependent on if the flashlight head is tight or loose. The Olight turns on/off with a pushbutton, but cycles through modes by twisting the head loose then tight again. I do not like the way they cycle through modes, where you always end up having to go through the annoying and useless flashing modes as part of the cycle.

The XTAR has a side pushbutton for on/off and it remembers your previous mode. A single click cycles between four brightness levels without traversing the annoying flashing modes. The lowest brightness is quite low, great for a "get up in the middle of the night" light or for when you really really want to make your battery last a long time. With 14500 LiIon rechargeables the brightness range is 3-300 lumens (Chineses lumens, that is) and 3-150 Chinese lumens with alkalines. To turn the XTAR off confuses many people I hand it to. It's a "push and hold to turn off" feature. People aren't expecting that on a flashlight, and generally hand it back to me still lit saying "how do you turn this thing off?" The XTAR still does have all those annoying flashing modes if you really want them - you double-click the switch to get there. So it's a totally one-handed light. Single click on, single click to cycle through modes, click-and-hold to turn off. Double-click to access the seldom used flashy modes. There is no momentary mode like some lights have by halfway depressing the switch. If momentary is important to you, don't buy the XTAR (I don't know if all of their models lack momentary, but my WK41 lacks it). Additionally, the switch will glow red when your battery is getting low, and start flashing red when it's almost dead. Very handy to know when to recharge. It takes alkalines (1.5v), NiMH (1.2v), lithium primary (1.5v or 3v) or rechargeable lithium (3.7v).

Despite being a less expensive and made in China light, it is very solidly made and I carry the XTAR in preference to the FourSeven and Olight.

#275176 - 05/20/15 08:52 PM Re: Surefire Breaks New Ground w 1xAAA Titan Lights [Re: haertig]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
I looked up that XTAR WK41,I like it. Might pick that one up here in the next couple of weeks.

#275432 - 06/13/15 06:29 PM Re: Surefire Breaks New Ground w 1xAAA Titan Lights [Re: Doug_Ritter]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
While I normally EDC a AAA Fenix, I like Eagletac too. The D25A goes 1.3 hours at 200 lumens and 150+ on moonlite mode with useful mid ranges in between. All on one AA. If you run a 14500 battery, you get a blazing 900 lumens out of that little guy.

I just ordered one to upgrade my EDC because I like the flexibility and the capability for long run times. 20 hours on the 20 lumen low mode is pretty good. I have a D25C that has been modded. Moonlight mode is fine to get around in the house in the dark. The turbo mode screams out over 1,200 lumens with a RCR123.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 94 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.