Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#275246 - 05/28/15 03:08 PM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This is one reason I like to carry a multitool (Wave). It is much easier to convince fellow workers that it is more of a tool than a weapon (because it is, basically)

#275267 - 05/29/15 06:26 PM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: ireckon]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: ireckon
The fact that we're even having this discussion is proof the Second Amendment is a weak piece of legislation. It's been chipped away so much that it doesn't mean much anymore. We're sitting here talking about the right to carry a little blade that's a few inches. I wonder what folks from 100 years ago would think of what our society has become.

By the way, what pisses me off even more than knife legislation is the laws on portable gas cans. I hadn't bought a gas can in years. I went to Walmart to buy a gas can. I spent 10 minutes trying to figure it out. I failed. Then, I spent 5 more minutes thinking of ways to "re-engineer" the thing.

Bottom line, it seems like a collosal waste of time to try to reason with an adult who actually thinks these oppressive laws are a good idea. However, I will continue to $upport those who do take on the fight.

I just used a hacksaw to cut the spout just before that stupid bulge thing. Works fine. Cap still fits the top.

Plus I have 5 Scepters....

#275289 - 05/31/15 02:46 AM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: hikermor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
This is one reason I like to carry a multitool (Wave). It is much easier to convince fellow workers that it is more of a tool than a weapon (because it is, basically)

I hear you. However, I hate giving up ground on something that is perfectly legal.

#275299 - 05/31/15 03:52 PM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: ireckon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Society's attitudes have really changed during my lifetime. When I was in middle school we played knife games, some rather dangerous, at every recess. Everybody carried a knife routinely. I think one kid brought his 22 to school for show and tell and actually avoided incarceration

Still, if I wanted a weapon, I would consider an aluminum softball bat or pepper spray, among other effective alternatives.

#275307 - 06/01/15 08:50 AM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: brandtb]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'm probably a bit younger than you, hikermor, but I concur. I remember bringing my deer rifle to school for show-and-tell in middle school and the teacher was fine with it! shocked The job I worked during HS and my first year of college was the same; my boss knew I was a "gun guy" and was considering the purchase of one he knew I had (a Ruger Mini-14), so he asked me if I would mind bringing it to work so he could check it out (!! shocked ). So I did. Right there in the kitchen he was pointing it around. blush grin

Naturally even then small town SD was probably not the same as CA. But even here that would bring a SWAT team today.

Edited by Phaedrus (06/01/15 08:50 AM)

#275311 - 06/01/15 10:46 PM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: brandtb]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Most of my youth was squandered in Dallas, Texas(not really part of the real Texas) and other places in the Midwest. But owning guns was "normal" then.even, I think, in California.

Whole lot of folks are younger than me - gets more so every day.......

#275321 - 06/02/15 08:10 PM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: brandtb]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
When I went through middle school ('87-'89), the "students cannot have knives or other weapons" policy was already in place. The policy at that time did not apply to staff and faculty. The shop teacher had, and lent out to the students, a Buck 110 knife on his belt. And, the physics teacher brough in a pellet rifle to demonstrate concervation of momentum(IIRC, we determined it shot a 1 gram pellet at 900 fps).

When I went back to work at the school discrict as a TA (glorified babysitter) in '94 or '95 the policy had already changed to "nobody can have a knife or other weapon".

Now it's "nobody can sketch/bite their food into/ make pretend their hand is a knife or other weapon". I find this darly amusing considering the unholy ****storm that was street crime 20+ years ago compared to today.

IMHO, given the incredible lack of maturity of the student body in general, I remember as both a student and TA, I'm inclined to agree with the "No knives or weapons for students". OTOH, I think that if you can be trusted to effectively raise our kids, then you should be able to be trusted with a sharp tool.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#275335 - 06/03/15 06:39 PM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: Mark_R]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Mark_R

IMHO, given the incredible lack of maturity of the student body in general, I remember as both a student and TA, I'm inclined to agree with the "No knives or weapons for students". OTOH, I think that if you can be trusted to effectively raise our kids, then you should be able to be trusted with a sharp tool.

Maybe with today's kids, but we all had knives in school and I graduated in 91. Kids threw punches at each other (one girl took down a teacher one time as well) but their knives always stayed in their pockets.

#275336 - 06/03/15 07:45 PM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: Eugene]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Originally Posted By: Mark_R

Maybe with today's kids, but we all had knives in school and I graduated in 91. Kids threw punches at each other (one girl took down a teacher one time as well) but their knives always stayed in their pockets.

Bragging how everybody got into fights, but nobody got knifed is not a very convincing argument for maturity. Dropping a teacher is an even less convincing argument.

And, yes I know the difference between rough housing among friends and putting somebody, namely me, in the ER.

EDIT: OTOH, I don't remember many people getting knifed. I did lose a couple of classmates to gunfire though...

Edited by Mark_R (06/03/15 07:48 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#275346 - 06/04/15 11:33 AM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: brandtb]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

what I'm saying is fights happen weather knives are banned or not and having them didn't create any more fights or make them any worse. "weapon" bans don't help anything.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 227 Guests and 133 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.