The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#275169 - 05/20/15 02:18 AM Re: Snacks you keep in the car? [Re: Bingley]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
On my way home tonight, while famished and stuck in rush hour construction frustration, I came to the sad realization that we've eaten all the snacks in the car. (sad face emoticon) The only thing I had was what was in my day hike pack, which was WAAAAAAY in the back of the wagon. Thinking to myself that the only thing worse than being stuck in traffic is trying to get back into the ant-line after you've pulled over, I decided that it's time to re-stock and started making a mental list.

This thread is a perfect kick-starter. Thanks, Bing, and everyone for the suggestions!

Peanut M&Ms are a must for us, along with Clif bars, sesame snaps, crackers and/or cookies, dried fruit and nuts. There's always lots of water stashed in the vehicles, but it's time to add in some extra cold drink crystals, to go with the hot chocolate that's in there now. Tang, Kool-Aid and lemonade are the most popular with the family, and I get the just add water kind.

EDIT as I'm packing: I also usually throw in a few juice boxes/pouches too, in case someone forgets or loses their EDC water bottle.

Edited by bacpacjac (05/20/15 02:21 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#275173 - 05/20/15 03:10 PM Re: Snacks you keep in the car? [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I also usually throw in a few juice boxes/pouches too, in case someone forgets or loses their EDC water bottle.

If you have small children, make very sure to sweep through your vehicle carefully after issuing these. Before we caught on, our then-two-year-old would stash a half-full juice box in the car to drink a week or so later. This would be followed by projectile vomiting.

#275174 - 05/20/15 06:47 PM Re: Snacks you keep in the car? [Re: Bingley]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
I keep Cinnamon granola bars in my car. I often eat them for lunch. They are essentially modern day hardtack, and keep for a long time in all sorts of temperature extremes. Since my job involves driving all over 3 states many days, having supplies in my vehicle is a no-brainer. The cinnamon almonds from Walmart are really awesome too. Too bad they started making the bags smaller (for the same price of course).

Greg

#275175 - 05/20/15 07:39 PM Re: Snacks you keep in the car? [Re: Bingley]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
badpacjac,
I would vote against the juice boxes in favor of the powdered mixes.

Even sealed, the juices can ferment. I have never seen a tube of kool-aid mix go bad.

I need to confess, I am a Dollar Store Junkie.

In my car I keep pop-tarts, granola bars, Rice Krispy Bars (the sealed ones) a 6 pack of water, and 20 or 30 individual drink mixes, all from the Dollar Store, totally maybe 10.00 per car. I feed the snacks to my kids the week I restock the car.

I keep a few longer term items, Clif Bars, 2 mainstay bars, and some really disgusting hardtack, but most other stuff gets swapped every few months.

#275177 - 05/20/15 09:16 PM Re: Snacks you keep in the car? [Re: chaosmagnet]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I also usually throw in a few juice boxes/pouches too, in case someone forgets or loses their EDC water bottle.

If you have small children, make very sure to sweep through your vehicle carefully after issuing these. Before we caught on, our then-two-year-old would stash a half-full juice box in the car to drink a week or so later. This would be followed by projectile vomiting.

I've been there, my friend. UGH!! There's always a bucket and rags at the ready. wink WE only get 6 or 8 weeks of hot weather here and it can make things raunchy so I don't take many chances. LOL!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#275178 - 05/20/15 10:00 PM Re: Snacks you keep in the car? [Re: Bingley]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If I'm on a road trip I'll take stuff to eat along for that trip, but once I reach my destination they are tossed (or they've been consumed wink ). Are Tanka Bites/Bars and quality Jerky considered snacks or are they actually food. They are convenient and easy to eat behind the wheel, but I have trouble putting them in the same category as potato chips and candy.

I keep emergency food in the truck's 96 hr kit -- a few MRE's, Datrex bars et al -- but no snacks. I'm planning a switch from MRE's to more generic canned food (more of it and less expensive). I have a camp stove, pots and utensils already so switching to something other than MRE's kinda makes sense.

#275179 - 05/21/15 12:29 AM Re: Snacks you keep in the car? [Re: Bingley]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

M & Ms, Cliff Bars, sucking candies, energy shot packets, & Extra Sugarless Bubble Gum

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 186 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.